+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Er, hi?

I'm Jon.

Default Er, hi?

My name's Jon

I've been a hi-fi idiot since the early '90s. I'm a bit of a dealer by nature so after a sojourn from western society I started selling second hand audio shite in 2005 on ebay and elsewhere. I've have done so since then.

My main system comprises of a CTC Classic 301 with the brass platter, CTC power supply and bearing, Bokrand AB309 arm as well as a 12" Audio Origami PU7 (which I've yet to install) in a Carl Ellis plinth. My current favourite cartridge is a Hana ML - I think it might be the best MC I've ever owned although it's a long way from being the most expensive. South of that I have an Avid Pulsare phono stage, a Stereoknight Silver Balance TVC pre, a Border Patrol 300B SET power amp, and a pair of Living Voice Avatar OBX/Rs. We've been having building work for the past three months so I've had to slum it with a Technics SL1200G, Mytek Brooklyn+ ES Labs amp and a pair of Celestion SL700s.

Musically, I'm drawn to the obscure. For the last few months my favourite group has been AMM, I'm also keen on Sun Ra, Suicide, Faust, Low, Jana Hunter, Nurse With Wound, the earlier releases of Animal Collective and most of the work by Henry Cow's alumni. In my 30s I developed a love of free jazz and gravitated to anything on the FMP and Incus labels. I'm human so obviously I love Robert Wyatt and have a thing for girl groups inspired by the Raincoats. The first time I went to my now-partner's place I saw they had Fall In A Hole in their record collection. I knew right then we were destined for each other.

Outside of music I'm interested in pushbikes, brutalist architecture, spring-powered wristwatches and animal rights.

I'm Rob.

Hifi and pushbikes....what's not to like!

Welcome along Jon. you have some nice kit there. I like Jazzy stuff and am currently into Jazztronica.
    Buy Bose...And get your parking validated!.

https://youtu.be/ZCBe7-6rw4M

No Highs...No Lows....It Must Be Bose!

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by stereoblab View Post
    . We've been having building work for the past three months so I've had to slum it with a Technics SL1200G, Mytek Brooklyn+ ES Labs amp and a pair of Celestion SL700s.

Pretty good system to be slumming it with!

Welcome to the forum.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm jamie.

hi jon and welcome,i think i know you from audio shite? your also a saved seller on my ebay list.
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm Jon.

Yes, I used to be on Audioshite before FB kicked me out. Because of this PITA building work I've had to scale back my ebay business - nowhere to photograph, little storage space etc - but I've got some nice bits put aside for when I come back.

The Technics 1200G is an extraordinarily well made turntable and as much as you can say £3000 is a bargain for something that does nothing but play records, it really is good value. You could spend a lot more and get less. I'm keeping this one around until our house is rebuilt, before it goes I'm going to see how it compares with my "big" turntable.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Welcome to AoS Jon,

Sun Ra, Faust, Robert Wyatt, and The Raincoates - sounds like you have similar tastes to me. What about Ornette Coleman, Don Cherry, Arche Shepp etc.?

Enjoy the Forum
    Barry
    Barry

+ Reply to Thread