+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Amazon Echo devices

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Not in Westworld it didn't. It just carried on on batteries but all the technicians were locked in the control room and suffocated because there was no power to open the doors.

In Star Trek 'NOMAD' has a force field around it so you can't get to it at all.

In Colossus: The Forbin Project they can't turn it off at all and if they try it nukes stuff. In fact IIRC the computer ends up wining in that and takes control of earth.

2001 - A Space Odyssey - he has to go through a world of hassle and danger to finally switch the thing off and it's too late for his pal.

And so on.
    ah yes but in the real world, a swift kick up the jacksy is usually enough... or pour your beer over it... stale beer of course
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Martin.

Actually I'm wrong about NOMAD, it doesn't have a force field it just kills security guards if you piss it off. But it has no off switch, Kirk has to confuse its circuits with logical reasoning and then they beam it into space.

Of course that doesn't always work either, the attempt to teach the sentient bomb Phenomenology in 'Dark Star' doesn't end well.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    ah yes but in the real world, a swift kick up the jacksy is usually enough... or pour your beer over it... stale beer of course
    Or Jack Daniels. 'The R J MacReady solution.'

I never understood that bit of the film. You've just started your 6 months winter tour in Antarctica and you already deliberately wrecked one of your only sources of entertainment.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Or Jack Daniels. 'The R J MacReady solution.'

I never understood that bit of the film. You've just started your 6 months winter tour in Antarctica and you already deliberately wrecked one of your only sources of entertainment.
    lol.. took out the whole radio room...great film; one of the best
    Regards,

FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Alex.

I'm waiting for mine to say that it's off colour (or color). "Ive got a pain in all the diodes down my left side"
    Spendorman

I'm Alex.

Ive still got one of the old, well made tall ones. had decent sound from it too, but its behaviour put me off.. started talking on its own etc and rarely understood me when i di want it... so it got unplugged and is used as an ornament now. often hang my dongle from it
    I'm amazed that my Echo Dot understands me practically all the time. I do have a slight issue with it, the Dot might go to sleep at an undetermined time, usually in excess of an hour. Amazon support know about this small problem and they are working on a fix.
    Spendorman

I'm Steve.

a little creepy, as is the flying drone... just shout, "Hey CIA,MI5, am I doing anything illegal? and a deep voice comes back with, "Stop playing with yourself"
    They don't do deep voices, in fact they sound rather tinny
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Steve.

Ive still got one of the old, well made tall ones. had decent sound from it too, but its behaviour put me off.. started talking on its own etc and rarely understood me when i di want it... so it got unplugged and is used as an ornament now. often hang my dongle from it
    I asked Alexa if I could hang my dongle off her, she said she's not that kind of girl...

I used to have Echo Dot plugged into a bluetooth speaker in kitchen for radio, as the Dot sounded shit. but it was too much of a faff, so now unused. I miss my old Pure DAB
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    They don't do deep voices, in fact they sound rather tinny
    These ones are pretty good sound wise, but we're too expensive to make so it's replacements are more electronic wizardry than drivers.

Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Alex.

Mine is the 3rd Generation Dot, after adjusting the bass, middle and treble using the Alexa application, sound is pretty good, when one considers the size.

It's quite a bit better than the 2nd generation Dot.
    Spendorman

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast