+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Amazon Echo devices

I'm Alex.

Default New Amazon Echo devices

Not sure if this is the right place to post this. Apologies if wrong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nn_mLwlI8kQ
    Spendorman

I'm Grant.

a little creepy, as is the flying drone... just shout, "Hey CIA,MI5, am I doing anything illegal? and a deep voice comes back with, "Stop playing with yourself"
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Alex.

It might say "Can I join in?"
    Spendorman

I'm Alex.

At my place Alexa would say ""Tidy up that F*****g place up, all rooms are untidy with Hi Fi junk in every room"
    Spendorman

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by spendorman View Post
    At my place Alexa would say ""Tidy up that F*****g place up, all rooms are untidy with Hi Fi junk in every room"
    Mine too. It would have the voice of Hattie Jaques as the Matron in 'Carry On...'.

The whole Alexa thing is both pointless and creepy IMO.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Alex.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, my very good friend and work colleague for decades at GEC Marconi/ BAE Systems, would not have one in his house.

I find my Echo Dot very useful in the kitchen, mainly as a hands free radio, with quite acceptable sound quality, from a very small device.

The same guy is coming here today to pick up a desktop that I have put an SSD and Linux Mint 20 in, he won't use Microsoft.
    Spendorman

I'm Martin.

I don't really care about the 'spying' aspect, they can gather all the data they like about what I shop for, I doubt it will take up much room on their servers.

There's just something creepy about it to me that I can't quite put my finger on. I think because it talks, responds to questions and so on, so it has the illusion of intelligence. If 1960s/1970s sci-fi has taught us anything, it's that inventing an intelligent computer always ends badly.

'Are you telling me that there's no way to switch this damn thing off!?'
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Grant.

pull the plug out works. as does kicking it up and down a carpark
    Regards,

FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by spendorman View Post
    Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, my very good friend and work colleague for decades at GEC Marconi/ BAE Systems, would not have one in his house.

I find my Echo Dot very useful in the kitchen, mainly as a hands free radio, with quite acceptable sound quality, from a very small device.

The same guy is coming here today to pick up a desktop that I have put an SSD and Linux Mint 20 in, he won't use Microsoft.
    Ive still got one of the old, well made tall ones. had decent sound from it too, but its behaviour put me off.. started talking on its own etc and rarely understood me when i di want it... so it got unplugged and is used as an ornament now. often hang my dongle from it
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    pull the plug out works. as does kicking it up and down a carpark
    Not in Westworld it didn't. It just carried on on batteries but all the technicians were locked in the control room and suffocated because there was no power to open the doors.

In Star Trek 'NOMAD' has a force field around it so you can't get to it at all.

In Colossus: The Forbin Project they can't turn it off at all and if they try it nukes stuff. In fact IIRC the computer ends up wining in that and takes control of earth.

2001 - A Space Odyssey - he has to go through a world of hassle and danger to finally switch the thing off and it's too late for his pal.

And so on.
    Current Lash Up:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast