+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Cable Burn In

I'm Bruce.

In my experience some cables do "burn in" over time and some seem not to. Years ago I borrowed four sets of expensive speaker cables to audition over a holiday weekend and see if there was any difference, one set being new (Transparent Audio) and the others used demo stock. The Transparent Audio was all over the map sound wise. For a bit it seemed to have phase issues, then that went away and the bass was bloated, etc. After about 30 hours it seemed to settle and sound right. Even once settled, my partner and I both preferred the sound of one of the other cables, which happened to be the one I liked the looks of the least.

I ordered the preferred one (MIT) which came new and changed a little over the first couple days but not nearly as much as the Transparent Audio.

I too notice that after soldering work the sound in a component sometimes takes a few minutes to sound right, so I've gotten away from any critical listening immediately after a soldered modification.
    Bruce

Theories are not so much answers as questions, to be supported or undermined by experience & testing.

Source: Audiolab 6000CDT > Calyx 24/192 DAC
    Amplification: Pass-design B1rev2 pre-amplifier > Neurochrome Modulus 686.
    Loudspeakers: Proac Response 1SC
    Cables/stands: spkr: MIT MH-750 biwire; IC: HT Truthlink; Target stands, sand-filled; Excel Cat6A 23AWG UFTP & 1attack.de Cat.7 SFTP.
    Other: Balanced AC transformer to hydra mains distr; Bass traps & Acoustic panels; Isolation: Inner tube & roller bearings; 3xZyxel ES104A switches in series w/Vreg upgrades.

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    There's no point asking for a scientific explanation because there isn't one. It's either due to some unknown unknown or it's the mind playing tricks combined with a less than rigorous testing procedure.

Either is possible, but one is far more likely than the other.

Onus on you Martin to say why that statement is true.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazjam View Post
    Onus on you Martin to say why that statement is true.
    It's either true, or there is a third possibility I'm unaware of.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Gary.

Here's a theory to consider:
    No horse in this race, in my own setup with my own ears I hear what I hear, but you mentioned a third possibility?

Not mine, but this one doesn't seem unreasonable.
    As I said a lot of variables and nothings really black and white.
    Agree there can be a psychological component, hifi's rife with snake oil theories and those that take advantage of that for profit.

Just throwing this out there

"Breaking in" a cable has everything to do with the insulation - not the wire itself. The insulation or dielectric will absorb energy from the conductor when a current is flowing (music). This energy absorption causes the dielectric's molecules to re-arrange themselves from random to uniform order. When re-arranged the dielectric will absorb less energy and consequently cause less distortion. The cable is now broken-in and sound improves. To ensure the cable stays broken-in it must remain connected and the components left on. If no signal is present in the cable the molecules will re-arrange into a random state and break-in will have to be repeated. Length of break-in varies from 100-500 hours.

the preamp doesn't usually have to be energized, but the input that you have those "cooking" cables connected to needs to be selected in order for signal current to be traveling through the cables of interest. If there's no load termination at the end of those cables, then no signal current flows & hence no breakin is occuring.
    AC POWER
    AMPS
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    TURNTABLE
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS

I'm Clive.

"Breaking in" a cable has everything to do with the insulation - not the wire itself. The insulation or dielectric will absorb energy from the conductor when a current is flowing (music)............
    It’s for this reason that Audioquest attaches a battery to the dialectic of their higher range cables.
    SOURCE:OPPO UDP-205 BluRay, SkyQ, Technics SL1210M5G/HexMat Eclipse/MN Bearing/Origin Live Gravity One puck/Isonoes with Boots/Jelco TK-850S Tonearm/Hana Umami Blue, PS Audio Stellar Phonostage. I also have an AT-OC9XSH as a spare cartridge.
    AMPLIFIER: Bryston BR-20 Pre/DAC/Streamer & Bryston 4B3 Power Amplifier
    SPEAKERS: Spendor D7 on Iso-Acoustics Gaia III’s
    HEADPHONES: OPPO PM-1 with Atlas Zeno cable, B&W Pi7 S2 and B&W C5 v2.
    CABLES: Analogue: Speaker Atlas Mavros Grun. Interconnect - Atlas Mavros XLR x3, MCRU Silver Tonearm cable
    Digital:Audioquest Carbon Ethernet x 4, Audioquest Carbon digital, English Electric 8Switch, Chord Optichord, Atlas Optical.
    Mains: PS Audio Perfectwave AC-05 x 5, Isol-8 Powerline Extreme with Quantum Science yellow fuse on input cable, Sounds Fantastic 6way Mains Blocks.
    STORAGE: Synology DS216J NAS with 2 x 3Tb WD Red hard-drives. Samsung 500Gb SSD.
    TV LG55B7 OLED

I'm Bruce.

Here's a theory to consider:
    ..."Breaking in" a cable has everything to do with the insulation - not the wire itself. The insulation or dielectric will absorb energy from the conductor when a current is flowing (music). This energy absorption causes the dielectric's molecules to re-arrange themselves from random to uniform order. When re-arranged the dielectric will absorb less energy and consequently cause less distortion. The cable is now broken-in and sound improves. To ensure the cable stays broken-in it must remain connected and the components left on. If no signal is present in the cable the molecules will re-arrange into a random state and break-in will have to be repeated. Length of break-in varies from 100-500 hours.

the preamp doesn't usually have to be energized, but the input that you have those "cooking" cables connected to needs to be selected in order for signal current to be traveling through the cables of interest. If there's no load termination at the end of those cables, then no signal current flows & hence no breakin is occuring.
    For cables, I'd also heard from some no longer remembered sources that it had to do with the dielectric, though i'd not heard some of the specifics given here. I'd be curious who this quote is from... unless that would feed the cable wars.
    Bruce

Theories are not so much answers as questions, to be supported or undermined by experience & testing.

Source: Audiolab 6000CDT > Calyx 24/192 DAC
    Amplification: Pass-design B1rev2 pre-amplifier > Neurochrome Modulus 686.
    Loudspeakers: Proac Response 1SC
    Cables/stands: spkr: MIT MH-750 biwire; IC: HT Truthlink; Target stands, sand-filled; Excel Cat6A 23AWG UFTP & 1attack.de Cat.7 SFTP.
    Other: Balanced AC transformer to hydra mains distr; Bass traps & Acoustic panels; Isolation: Inner tube & roller bearings; 3xZyxel ES104A switches in series w/Vreg upgrades.

I'm Geoff.

For an insulator to 'absorb energy' it must conduct it, assuming we are talking about electrical energy. Or would this be some other sort of energy? Having a conductive insulator must surely be wrong.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Kevin.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    For an insulator to 'absorb energy' it must conduct it, assuming we are talking about electrical energy. Or would this be some other sort of energy? Having a conductive insulator must surely be wrong.
    All insulators conduct.

Just not very well.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by CageyH View Post
    All insulators conduct.

Just not very well.
    And all conductors insulate.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by brucew268 View Post
    For cables, I'd also heard from some no longer remembered sources that it had to do with the dielectric, though i'd not heard some of the specifics given here. I'd be curious who this quote is from... unless that would feed the cable wars.

In this place....
    Probably.
    AC POWER
    AMPS
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    TURNTABLE
    PHONOSTAGE
    DIGITAL
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    INTERCONNECTS

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast