+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Cable Burn In

I'm Colin.

All insulators cause electron drag, for a want of a different description.
    This effects the high frequency and there edges and thus the rise and fall time, we see this as skin effect.
    Air is best or space, Teflon is great, silk is great (long chain molecules) cotton and rubber not so good.
    It also seems to be related to temperature i.e. melting or rapid electron movement.
    These effect are very small and in theory we should not notice them, but I can't hear a dog whistle but I am aware it there.
    I tried a experiment a long time ago using 40KHz .
    Two transmitters/transducer were pointed at folk walking in a shopping mall. One fixed at 40KHz and the other FM at 40KHz and audio limited to 5KHz BW.
    Aiming the cone the heads people, some heard on some occasion's the voice of Prof Bill saying "This is the voice of God" the reactions we got was very funny.
    So to me that says we can hear the effect of higher than audio frequencies on some humans.
    That was 20 yrs ago, now the mobile phone has destroyed humans to hear anything. I hate digital.

I'm Craig.

The top end is reappearing, burning in? Who knows.
    Removal of cheap banana plugs? Who knows again.
    What I do know is that it isn’t just me getting used to the sound, otherwise where has the top end come from that was missing when I first plumbed the cable in?
    Bluesound Node 2i
    Audio Analogue Pucinni SE
    B&W DM607 s2
    Chord Shawline X speaker cable
    Klotz ic’s

I'm Geoff.

Your hearing varies and eventually you forget exactly what the previous set-up sounded like anyway,
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by icehockeyboy View Post
    The top end is reappearing, burning in? Who knows.
    Removal of cheap banana plugs? Who knows again.
    What I do know is that it isn’t just me getting used to the sound, otherwise where has the top end come from that was missing when I first plumbed the cable in?
    Some recordings have more top end than others. Or are you just playing the same record over and over again? This is what gets me about evaluating this sort of thing by listening. The differences between recordings are usually greater than the differences between any two bits of kit except possibly speakers.

Without proper controls it's impossible to be certain if anything is really changing in objective reality or not.

I don't worry about it anymore. I'm either happy with the sound quality or I'm not. If I'm happy I listen, if I'm not I cock about with the system.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Craig.

I always play the same few tracks, one being Dire Straits ‘Your Latest Trick’
    There’s a hi hat about 75 seconds or so in.
    When I first plumbed in the new cable, it just wasn’t there, despite turning my head to line up my better ear in line with the speakers.

It’s now reappearing.
    Bluesound Node 2i
    B&W DM607 s2
    Klotz ic’s

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Quote Originally Posted by icehockeyboy View Post
    I always play the same few tracks, one being Dire Straits ‘Your Latest Trick’
    There’s a hi hat about 75 seconds or so in.
    When I first plumbed in the new cable, it just wasn’t there, despite turning my head to line up my better ear in line with the speakers.

It’s now reappearing.
    What about the ride cymbal that's present prior to the hi-hat strike?
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm Martin.

There's no way it can't have been there at all unless the cable was cutting off all frequencies above about 1KHz. If it was you'd notice a lot more missing than just the hi-hat.

Could it not be that having noticed that as the sound was dull in general the first time out, you are now just listening more intently for those higher frequency cues in the hope that they are coming through more clearly now?

My guess is this is nothing to do with the speaker cable but some more fundamental problem with one or more of the main components, either some sort of incompatibility or just poor quality.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Geoff.

The occasional ear syringing can work wonders, but I understand that's frowned upon now. Probably NHS trying to save money I reckon.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Craig.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratmangler View Post
    What about the ride cymbal that's present prior to the hi-hat strike?
    Absolutely M
    But that’s not the bit I listen for.
    Bluesound Node 2i
    B&W DM607 s2
    Klotz ic’s

I'm Craig.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    There's no way it can't have been there at all unless the cable was cutting off all frequencies above about 1KHz. If it was you'd notice a lot more missing than just the hi-hat.

Could it not be that having noticed that as the sound was dull in general the first time out, you are now just listening more intently for those higher frequency cues in the hope that they are coming through more clearly now?

My guess is this is nothing to do with the speaker cable but some more fundamental problem with one or more of the main components, either some sort of incompatibility or just poor quality.
    So how come the higher frequencies were audible prior to the cable swap?
    Bluesound Node 2i
    B&W DM607 s2
    Klotz ic’s

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast