+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rewiring Decca FFSS help for a novice

I'm Simon.

Default Rewiring Decca FFSS help for a novice

Hi all,

I recently made a new plinth for my Garrard 401 deck (see pic) w/ Decca FFSS tonearm and Mark III cartridge. Previously, it was wired to a 2 way RCA phono socket. Unfortunately, I lost that socket (moved house during the course of deconstruction and reconstruction!). After some research, including a thread on here, I discovered the following wiring schematic (from another website), which seemed in agreement w/ the general consensus:

Red = Left centre pin
    Green = Right centre pin
    Shield = Ground connection for both channels

Red RCA socket gets Green wire to centre conductor
    White RCA socket gets Red wire to centre conductor
    Both RCA sockets get the shield to their outer connectors.

The ‘shield’ above I assume is the white cable from the FFSS (the two others are red and green).

Anyhow, I have wired a 2-way RCA phono socket as above by connecting the shield to one outer connector and then connecting the two outer connectors together (see pic).

Unfortunately, I only get a very tinny signal (i.e., all treble, no bass) - although the signal is in stereo. Do you have any idea what might be causing this; could it be the wire configuration?

I’m rather a soldering and electronics amateur, well, not even that, so any help greatly appreciated. I’m trying to avoid having it re-wired professionally due to cost, although I know that John Wright would do a great job; I had him rebuild the cartirdge about 10 years ago!

THANKS for any help.
    Simon
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'm Simon.

All fixed! I'd wrongly wired the shield.

+ Reply to Thread