+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hello enthusiasts!

I'm Simon.

Default Hello enthusiasts!

Dear all,

I'm a musician and academic currently residing in Edinburgh.

I was lucky to inherit from my Grandfather a pair of Quad II's w/ the 22 preamp and radio; and a Garrard 401 turntable, Decca FFSS tonearm w/ Decca MkIII cartridge. And also a very large pair of Wharfedale Teesdale speakers, although due to space issues, I've recently put them in storage and got my hands on a mint pair of Tannoy 3LZs, which while not quite having the bass of the Teesdale's, more than makes up for it in terms of stereo image, attack, and detail. First time hearing single coil speakers, and I'm very into the sound.

Current listening: Neil Young 'Homegrown'; Cate Le Bon 'Reward'; various Iranian albums on Ocora; Songs:Ohia/Jason Molina; Bob Dylan 'Tempest'; Steve Reich; JJ Cale 'Tourbadour; etc.

I'm trying to rewire the tonearm but having little luck and will post about that after this!

Best wishes to you all.

I'm Geoff.

Hi Simon. Welcome to AOS.

You were lucky inheriting all that nice vintage gear. That would have been a cutting edge system 55 years ago and is still desirable equipment. You could feature it all in our 'Past Masters' section with some photos, it would be nice to see. The Quad II power amps, Decca cartridge and IIILZ speakers are sought after items. The Tannoys by the way are not single coil, they are two drivers in one with the tweeter being a horn in the centre behind the gauze dust cap. They have an addictive sound.

The tonearm shouldn't be too tricky to rewire. Start a thread in the Past Masters area and ask for guidance, there are plenty of members with experience of these. Be very careful with the cartridge, they are easy to damage.

Enjoy the forum,
    Geoff.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Martin.

What a great system to inherit. Welcome to the forum.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Grant.

Welcome Simon. I hope u enjoy the forum.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Simon.

Thanks!

Yeah, the one family heirloom! I've looked after it for around 15 years now, and it's always been the centre of our living rooms. Oh yes, the Tannoy's are dual concentric speakers. They are addictive though as you sayd, and I didn't expect them to sound so different sonically - they even reminded of a pair ESLs I borrowed a while back; w/ a larger sweet spot though!

Indeed, I'll post some pics in due, and I'm eagerly awaiting a reply to my query in the 'Past Masters' forum.

Cheers.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Welcome to AoS Simon,

Yes, a lovely system to inherit, and apart from the turntable and speakers, are all components I have once owned and enjoyed (in fact I still have the Decca items).

Commendably broad tastes in music you enjoy. I would be interested to know more about the Iranian albums you listen to.

Enjoy the Forum
    Barry
    Barry

I'm Josie.

Welcome to AOS, Simon.

Great system you have.

Hope to see some pictures in the Gallery section

Enjoy!
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com
    - Audio Equipment Reviews
    Facebook

+ Reply to Thread