+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: new Computer keyboard - recommendations?

I'm Martin.

Default new Computer keyboard - recommendations?

I need to get a new keyboard. Looking for something that has keys with the feel and quality of the old IBM or Tandy machines of the 1980s. Don't want wireless and must have numeric keypad.

Budget up to a ton but I'd rather not pay that much.

Had a look on line but the choice is vast and most of them look like tat. Any help gratefully received.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Picked up a Dell keyboard in a boot sale for about a fiver a couple of years ago. It replaced a previous Dell keyboard, where some of the letters had worn from much use.
    Barry

I'm Adrian.

You may want to look at the Cherry mechanical keyboards:

https://www.cherry.co.uk/products/of...s.html?cat=404

My favourite is the G80-3000, reminiscent of the original IBM AT keyboard of yore:

https://www.cherry.co.uk/cherry-g80-3000.html

Available here for £90:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cherry-WHIT...10PZMY6M7JH004
    Last edited by VillageIdiot; 25-09-2020 at 12:14. Reason: Spelling!

I'm Geoff.

I'm using an Acer keyboard that came with a new PC. It has proper hard buttons with a good tactile operation and USB lead. Probably loads on ebay.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by VillageIdiot View Post
    You may want to look at the Cherry mechanical keyboards:

https://www.cherry.co.uk/products/of...s.html?cat=404

My favourite is the G80-3000, reminiscent of the original IBM AT keyboard of yore:

https://www.cherry.co.uk/cherry-g80-3000.html

Available here for £90:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cherry-WHIT...10PZMY6M7JH004
    I like the look of that - expensive but it will get used 40 hrs a week so maybe worth it.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Looks exactly like my Dell.

Maybe Cherry make keyboards for others on an OEM basis.
    Barry

I'm Rob.

I can recommend the Keyboard Company. They sell top quality keyboards. I've bought couple of great keyboard from them (but they don't have numerical keypads - so no go for you).
    Rob.
    Powered by crossed fingers and clenched buttocks

I'm Gary.

Company called Unicomp makes buckling spring mechanical keyboards using the original IBM Model M moulds.
    Not QUITE as good as the original, but not a couple of hundred quid for a 30yr old piece of plastic either.

In your budget Martin.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Pavel.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazjam View Post
    Company called Unicomp makes buckling spring mechanical keyboards using the original IBM Model M moulds.
    Not QUITE as good as the original, but not a couple of hundred quid for a 30yr old piece of plastic either.

In your budget Martin.
    I don't know about their recent keyboards but my Unicomp M stopped working after ~3 years of service - it turns out there is a design flaw, one part of the plate rubs against the membrane and eventually breaks one of the traces. Also they're non-serviceable (unlike the old IBM Model M) since the controller board is simply pressed onto the membrane, once you disassemble it, good luck aligning the pads properly.

The Keyboard Company sells a lot of great keyboards, I would recommend Filco - it's a high quality Japanese brand of keyboards. They use the same switches as Cherry keyboards but their build quality is 15 times better. I have two Filco keyboards and one Cherry G80-3000, the difference in sturdiness and weight is startling.

I'm Martin.

Thanks but both keyboards are over my £100 max budget which in any case I've already frittered away on some other tat.

Both the Filco and Unicom look like what I'm after though. Just surprised it is so expensive to buy a decent keyboard.
    Current Lash Up:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast