+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ethernet Cables getting some consistency

I'm Andrew.

Default Ethernet Cables getting some consistency

I am not expecting this to add any additional sound quality but I have decided that the mixed and varied ethernet connections I use in the house needs to be addressed if only just for my own piece of mind .

Now currently my whole network system works and sounds fine so this is not to address a problem . However as I added items I would just take either the cable included or if I needed a new one just go to my own cable box and find the first one that came to hand. In all cases I would and still do not have any idea if they are CAT 5 , 6 , 6e , 7 or whatever. I know they will all be compatable and they will all work but recently after adding an LPSU to my Media Server and noting the difference that made I have decided that i need to do a little work on the cabling just for ethernet and to try and get some of the care and consideration I give to my music system cables.

As always there will be those that say each cable will make a difference and others who will say that any cable will do . Well I am not going to get on the ladder of really expensive cables as that route can lead me to both insanity and bankruptcy . Now right or wrong I have always felt that having the same wire for all leads makes a difference . So after looking at all the different options I have decided that CAT 7 is what I am going to fit for all of the various connections . Luckily a quick scan of Amazon has produced a great option of 5 x 1 Meter cables for £10 . Now this is a nice cheap way of getting real matching cables at a not huge outlay . In most areas a 1 meter cable will be fine there a re one or two were I will need more but I can address those once all the others are installed using the same cable throughout .

As I say I am not really expecting too much of a change in doing this but once it is completed and all in place I will know that all of the connections are of the same quality .

I'm Ray.

I went from Cat 5 to 7, did not notice any difference, I wanted 6e but it was out of stock, think I paid about £5 for 3m from Duronic.

I'm Andrew.

Okay the new CAT 7 cables arrived today and the network has now got matched new cables throughout . As I expected not change in sound quality at all but the picture from my Amazon cube is better and more stable . I have been plagued for some time with stutters and drop outs on internet channels and streaming videos / movies . At the moment this cable change seems to have stopped this and i am getting more consistent and better pictures. Considering this has only cost me £20 and I have three brand new spare cables I think that is a result and would suggest that anyone with ethernet cables that have been in palce a while should perhaps consider a change .

I'm Neil.

I think this is a nice end to an Ethernet cable thread. I wonder if you had old Cat 5 cable, or a faulty cable, which was reducing the bandwidth for video transmission. That you heard no difference in audio does not surprise me, the bandwidth requirements are far, far lower. I stick to unshielded Cat 6 as I think connecting grounds can (might?) introduce new problems.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm Tony.

Well good news regarding the RJ45 format at last a proper cable for this data transmission and format is on the way long overdue in my book, but it will soon be here SPE is coming at last!

New Ethernet SPE format news

Coherent Systems
    Real high end sound with musicality not hifi

I'm Ray.

Quote Originally Posted by Bencat View Post
    Okay the new CAT 7 cables arrived today and the network has now got matched new cables throughout . As I expected not change in sound quality at all but the picture from my Amazon cube is better and more stable . I have been plagued for some time with stutters and drop outs on internet channels and streaming videos / movies . At the moment this cable change seems to have stopped this and i am getting more consistent and better pictures. Considering this has only cost me £20 and I have three brand new spare cables I think that is a result and would suggest that anyone with ethernet cables that have been in palce a while should perhaps consider a change .
    Yes I may get a new cable for my computer do get the odd flicker, I thought this was down to the PSU but it maybe the cable which is a BT patch one from a few years ago.

I'm gerald.

If anyone want`s cat cables made up to certain length out of top quality cable they are all hand made by my brother who is a it tech in London .
    He has just cabled up his companys new offices saving them thousands in money his reward was going to be a pair of back stage passes for me and him to see and meet G&R
    this year but shows got cancelled ,

I'm Lloyd.

Quote Originally Posted by diviy View Post
    If anyone want`s cat cables made up to certain length out of top quality cable they are all hand made by my brother who is a it tech in London .
    He has just cabled up his companys new offices saving them thousands in money his reward was going to be a pair of back stage passes for me and him to see and meet G&R
    Forgive me, i do know GnT but not G&R ... kindly enlighten me ...

I'm gerald.

Guns and Roses

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Quote Originally Posted by diviy View Post
    Are these cables made up with installation cable or patch cable?
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

+ Reply to Thread