+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How long is a 300B good for?

I'm Adrian.

Default How long is a 300B good for?

So this morning I switched on my trusty Allnic and Tuner and all was well as I listened to radio 4 through breakfast. I then started to tidy up and went into the lounge and realised things did not sound quite right, in fact I was missing the left channel completely. On inspection of the amp I immediately could see that there was no current on the left channel current gauge. So I dug out my spare 300B's and swapped over, powered up the amp and hey presto left channel reception was resumed.

So obviously the 300B valve has failed. I am a bit surprised and concerned about this. The valves are Psvanne 300B Black Bottles purchased new about 3 years ago. Originally I used them in my mono-blocks for about 18 months and I would estimate they did about 800 hours and then in the Allnic doing about another 700 hours. 1500 hours does not seem a great deal to me for a 300B, or maybe I have the wrong view.

I'd appreciate others views or experience on this.

Thanks

Adrian
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm NotTakingLifeTooSeriouslyTheseDays.

To be honest Adrian, i think you did quite well out of them, they are run very hard in some amps, especialy single ended, having to draw all the current needed all of the time, whether there is signal present, or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by AJSki2fly View Post
    So this morning I switched on my trusty Allnic and Tuner and all was well as I listened to radio 4 through breakfast. I then started to tidy up and went into the lounge and realised things did not sound quite right, in fact I was missing the left channel completely. On inspection of the amp I immediately could see that there was no current on the left channel current gauge. So I dug out my spare 300B's and swapped over, powered up the amp and hey presto left channel reception was resumed.

So obviously the 300B valve has failed. I am a bit surprised and concerned about this. The valves are Psvanne 300B Black Bottles purchased new about 3 years ago. Originally I used them in my mono-blocks for about 18 months and I would estimate they did about 800 hours and then in the Allnic doing about another 700 hours. 1500 hours does not seem a great deal to me for a 300B, or maybe I have the wrong view.

I'd appreciate others views or experience on this.

Thanks

Adrian
    "Today scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality"
    Nikola Tesla

Its now a conspiracy theory to believe that the Immune system is capable of doing the job it was designed to do.
    A fish is only as healthy as the water its swimming in ! [Dr Robert Young]

www.tubedistinctions.co.uk

Matthew 5:10

I'm inthescottishmafia.

I haven’t tried any of the Chinese ones, but I’ve always had good service life from JJ’s. Used some in my WAD monoblocks for about five years and they still sounded fine.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I wonder if its a base problem, ie; one of the pins has developed a bad solder connection ?
    A
    "Today scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality"
    Nikola Tesla

Its now a conspiracy theory to believe that the Immune system is capable of doing the job it was designed to do.

I'm Laurie.

1500hrs ain’t that bad, I’ve had some pricey ones that didn’t make 1200. Best I had were EAT , I think I had good life for 6 years approx 2500hrs. Depends on amp, friend has shindo 300b, afaik he’s never changed valves, signal or power in over ten years of use. Amount of times switched on \off is as important as hours.
    Vitus sia025, brinkman Bardot deck and nyquist dac,Boenicke w8se, Melco server, audiovalve sunilda phono, kondo Cables, lots of Stillpoints, Ess rack.

Worldwide 40 million chickens, ducks, and geese die daily for the plate, savage and wasteful.

I'm Steve.

Seven years ago I bought my Audion SET amp secondhand, complete with PS Vane black bottles (mileage unknown). Then earlier this year I bought a used low hours pair of Electro Harmonix ones. Three months later one valve decided to throw in the towel. So I'm back with my ancient PS Vanes and all's good.

To be fair I probably only average about 2-3 hours per week, but I don't know how much of it is luck of the draw, and whether some amps give them a harder time.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Mark.

Interesting: In the first Transatlantic telephone cable, there were ‘repeater stations’ along the cable every 10 miles or so. These housed The Western Electric 175 HQ valve to boost the signal. Think The WE 175 HQ might have been a 300b variant, though not too sure.

The ‘expected’ life of these valves was 20 years. The 307 tubes along the cable actually operated for 22 years without a failure! Pretty amazing!
    Last edited by Sixty2; 26-09-2020 at 05:28.

Hi Mark,
    The 300B, [and possibly the 300A] were used in telecomunications, indeed, i think this was the main reason for their development/production.
    Where valves are concerned, the saying "They don't make em like they used to" is very apt, i suspect a good set of original Western Electric 300B would last much longer than any modern equivilent made today!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sixty2 View Post
    Interesting: In the first Transatlantic telephone cable, there were ‘repeater stations’ along the cable every mile or so. These housed The Western Electric 175 HQ valve to boost the signal. Think The WE 175 HQ might have been a 300b variant, though not too sure.

The ‘expected’ life of these valves was 20 years. The 307 tubes along the cable actually operated for 22 years without a failure! Pretty amazing!
    Nikola Tesla

Hmm, this may have swayed me away from valves - we have music playing for about 12-15 hours a day here every day.
    My little solid state amp gets left on all the time !

I'm Mark.

Hi Anthony,

Yes, I agree. Like a lot of things these days, quality can be compromised for profit!
    Western Electric do have a reputation for reliability. I did own a pair of WE 300B’s for many years, used them very lightly then sold them to a dealer. Wonder what they’d be worth now? Oh well!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast