+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Headphone survey

I'm Jo.

Default >>>

Grado SR80
    Sennheiser HD650
    Sennheiser HD700

[Used with the following HPAs: Beresford Capella, Lehmann Rhinelander, Myryad Z40, Lehmann Linear.]

The Grados were offered end-of-line half price by a local retailer from whom I'd bought a fair bit of kit. I've never found them terribly comfortable but they were the first proper pair of cans I'd owned and I was impressed with the sound. I listened to the first stereo Ring cycle conducted by Keilberth in 1955 [Testament CD, 2008] through the Grados and it was a tremedous experience.

I then decided to buy a dedicated HPA and chose the Lehmann Rhinelander. I found the Lehmann and the Grados were not a good match, so decided the buy the '650s. The comfort was streets ahead of the Grados, and the 650s and Rhinelander worked much better together. Later I had a Beresford set up with the Capella as the HPA, an amp I still use with the SEG.

Having done a couple of years with the 650s I felt that headphone listening had proved itself to me, so decided to invest in swankier gear. I chose a pair of HD 700s and a Lehmann Linear to power them. I found the 700s to be a fabulous set of cans - very comfortable and the best sound I had with headphones so far. The only let with the 700s was the styling - a bit too space age for my taste, but I don't mind nearly so much now i have had them a while. The Linear was most capable HPA I could afford and has proved itself to me: smooth yet never boring, it has manages to achieve a balance between all the elments of music without overdoing any one constituent. Perfect for long hours of listening.

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Thanks, Ali. That's interesting.. How much is the Lumin, and how easy is it to add existing hard-drives/files of music to it?

Marco.
    Just under the 2k mark mate. It doesn’t have a hard drive, just connects to the network with an Ethernet cable. I use Roon and have Tidal and Qobuz. Also have a Drobo with a load of FLAC files. It’s a great sounding bit of kit imo.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherwood View Post
    I use the HifiMan 400i with a balanced cable. It makes a huge difference. May not be so important with the more efficient 2020 model but it transformed my 2018 set. Only cost £30 or thereabouts!
    Yes, I use the M1060 with a balanced cable driven by the E1DA Powerdac v2. It's pretty amazing in what it can drive and with a lush detail, balanced only, for the silly price of $60. Unusual technology for both the DAC and amplification.
    Bruce

Theories are not so much answers as questions, to be supported or undermined by experience & testing.

Source: Audiolab 6000CDT > Calyx 24/192 DAC
    Amplification: Pass-design B1rev2 pre-amplifier > Neurochrome Modulus 686.
    Loudspeakers: Proac Response 1SC
    Cables/stands: spkr: MIT MH-750 biwire; IC: HT Truthlink; Target stands, sand-filled; Excel Cat6A 23AWG UFTP & 1attack.de Cat.7 SFTP.
    Other: Balanced AC transformer to hydra mains distr; Bass traps & Acoustic panels; Isolation: Inner tube & roller bearings; 3xZyxel ES104A switches in series w/Vreg upgrades.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Some of the nicest headphones I have used were the Sennheiser HD450:

I say "nicest" as they were comfortable with a more than adequate sound quality (and let's face it, using headphones is a very artificial way to listen to anything, so IMO there is no point in eulogising about any of them) and for a reasonable price (about £60 in 1998).

Only dispensed with them around 2003, as the foam ear pads started to perish.
    Barry

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

I know what you mean, and those Senns are nice, although a little lacking in 'heft' for me, with the likes of rock/dance or electronic music, which I suspect you won't listen much to anyway Nice mids and top-end, though!

However, much like Macca, whose opinions on headphones are broadly similar to yours, I kind of disagree...

Yes, in some ways they are indeed an 'artificial way to listen to anything', such as music in its purest sense, in terms of the aspects that make it sound and FEEL real, but as a *tool* for analysing and/or dissecting information on recordings, or say 'tuning' the sound of a turntable, for me they are invaluable and can reveal much more of what's going on than any external speakers.

Plus, let's not also forget the rather significant sonic benefits of removing room effects from the equation! Those benefits are especially true when using the most well-designed headphones, on the end of the best dedicated headphone amps.

Therefore, as an effective *tool* for that purpose, for me, they have few peers, and so fully deserve 'eulogising' about, especially when their use allows the enjoyment of listening to music late at night, or in the early hours of the morning, without disturbing other occupants of the house who are tucked up in bed

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Use headphones most of the time so have a few to choose from.

Stax SR009 SR007 L700
    Denon AD-H500
    B&w P9

Depends what Im listening to and for how long for which pair get used.

I'm Peter.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Some of the nicest headphones I have used were the Sennheiser HD450:

I say "nicest" as they were comfortable with a more than adequate sound quality (and let's face it, using headphones is a very artificial way to listen to anything, so IMO there is no point in eulogising about any of them) and for a reasonable price (about £60 in 1998).

Only dispensed with them around 2003, as the foam ear pads started to perish.
    They're the same as I'm currently using The second set of foam pads are wearing a bit thin now though, should look to upgrading them soon I think...
    TT: Pro-ject 1.2, Ortofon Blue
    Phono stage: Muffsy
    Cd: Linn Karik
    Dac: Denafrips Ares II
    Amps: Pre: EleKit TU-8500, Power: Cambridge Audio Azur 651W
    Speakers: Chario Hiper Tower 2000
    Cables: Linn, Straight Wire & Chord Clearways
    Headphones:PC, Ifi Zen Air, Sennheiser HD450 & HD569

I'm Dennis.

I pretty well agree with Marco in post 55.

I ask for an opinion from other members which on the slope of the Sennheisers is the most accurate and also suitable for assessing and comparing the sound of one's speakers in room.

HD600, 650, 700, etc, or maybe even higher up the scale.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Hi Dennis,

Quote Originally Posted by Pharos View Post
    I pretty well agree with Marco in post 55.
    Cheers. For me, regardless of headphones arguably being an 'artificial' way of listening to music, and personally I still derive great pleasure from listening to music that way, they *are* an accurate tool for analysing sonic differences between various audio sources, and also aiding in the accurate set up of a turntable.

Want to, crystal clearly, hear the difference between .05g of VTF, or 1mm of VTA, the effect of (very slight) sub-optimal azimuth, and the difference fixing it makes, or the sonic influence of two different record clamps? Then strap on a pair of revealing cans - and all will become apparent, MUCH more so than through any external speakers!

I ask for an opinion from other members which on the slope of the Sennheisers is the most accurate and also suitable for assessing and comparing the sound of one's speakers in room.
    Sorry, I've read the above 5 or 6 times and I still can't quite get what you mean... Could you please clarify?

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Dennis.

Maybe it was a bit abstruse of me - late etc.

I really want to know which along the range of Sennheisers is sufficiently good to evaluate speaker sound in room, particularly in frequency response terms. When I said "slope" I was referring to the increasing price and quality as one goes up the range which is a slope in cost terms, and one supposes, quality as well.

I've seen opinions which suggest that 650s are more neutral or flat than 800s, and other seemingly anomalous comments, so what do people here think?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast