+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Headphone survey

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali Tait View Post
    A pair of Oppo PM3 which are very good, also a pair of Sony WH-1000XM3 Bluetooth phones which I also find very good, and no faff with cables...
    ...aye, just the faff instead if the Bluetooth fails or the Wi-Fi goes down!

Plus I'm not keen on most modern headphones, certainly nothing less than £300, as I find them all a bit 'tinny'. I like BASS! Or more accurately, an accurate and realistic sounding low-end response from headphones, so dislike the thin (or at the other extreme boomy) treble-forward sound of most modern designs, *in comparison* with the best vintage ones.

Also, I've never understood the 'beef' with cables... Either ensure that your headphone amp (or main amp) is near your seating area [and if it isn't, then you haven't properly thought out your room], or just use an extension cable - and you're not 'tethered' either, if you simply remove the headphones from yer bonce when you need to walk about

Nah, I get why you like cordless cans with Bluetooth, but I'm more old-fashioned that way, in that I prefer being the one in control of things, not the network!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Grant.

bluetooth isnt over the network, and most have a cable option. (just for Clarity)
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Oh I see lol, shows you how much I know (or care about) these things

You're still relying on a piece of technology to work though, in order to hear music. Nothing to beat the old-fashioned 'hardwired' way for reliability - and it usually sounds better, too!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Oh I see lol, shows you how much I know (or care about) these things

You're still relying on a piece of technology to work though, in order to hear music. Nothing to beat the old-fashioned 'hardwired' way for reliability - and it usually sounds better, too!

Marco.
    well thats why you can plug in a cord to use through the headphone amp too.. also the do require charging when using wirelessly.
    Was just giving options as some and especially the nuras, are stunning in comparison to what older ones. Most older folk dont have perfect hearing so these adjust to suit. Not for everyone tho, and you have to get used to the inserts,(which doesnt take long really)
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Shane.

Vintage Koss PRO-4AAAs [Well I bought them yesterday and they're on their way]:

Why? Because I like the 'voicing'/tone of high-quality vintage speakers, and so headphones come into that category! Therefore, I generally prefer how they present music, compared with modern speakers or headphones.

Plus, I've always wanted an original pair of Koss PRO-4AAA, as back in the day they were used in top recording and broadcast studios around the world. For me Koss were the definitive headphone company (the original American one) and their designs had a unique sound, which was always unfailingly musical, and also transparent to the recording, giving voices and instruments a vibrancy and realism that was always very addictive

Grado headphones are a bit like that too, and also possess that 'buttery' mellifluous midrange, but without the visceral low-end punch and attack of the Koss. I guess that I just love how American 'cans' sound.

And, as a diehard 'SPPV' guy, I like owning gear that delivers maximum 'bang for your buck'.

I paid £210 for the above (near-mint condition) examples, which isn't an insignificant amount for a pair of 40 year-old headphones, but I know that with the build quality, design prowess and materials used, it will allow them to compete with many of today's designs, at least up to the £500 mark, and likely well beyond.

Plus, if you like retro [count me in], they look cool!

If I was buying brand new, high-end headphones, but still at a 'sensible price', then I'd go for these Audio Technicas:

Details here: https://www.audio-technica.com/en-gb...ed/ath-ad2000x

A) Because I love the 'airy' and very natural sound of high-quality open-backed headphones, and B) because AT have the experience, technical prowess and wherewithal to design some of the very best headphones on the market, whilst still charging 'sane' prices, and I think that the ATH-AD2000X, on the end of a top-notch headphone amp, would be capable of true greatness!

Marco.

Hello Marco,

Have you tried the more affordable Audio Technica Headphones? If yes, which one?

S.
    Shane Lonergan.

I'm Clive.

It’s OPPO PM1’s for me. Purchased after dealer insisted I have a listen, rest is history. Also a pr of B&W C5’s for mobile, travelling & Gym (not that I’ve being doing any of that for the last 6 months)
    SOURCE:OPPO UDP-205 BluRay, SkyQ, Technics SL1210M5G/HexMat Eclipse/MN Bearing/Origin Live Gravity One puck/Isonoes with Boots/Jelco TK-850S Tonearm/Hana Umami Blue, PS Audio Stellar Phonostage. I also have an AT-OC9XSH as a spare cartridge.
    AMPLIFIER: Bryston BR-20 Pre/DAC/Streamer & Bryston 4B3 Power Amplifier
    SPEAKERS: Spendor D7 on Iso-Acoustics Gaia III’s
    HEADPHONES: OPPO PM-1 with Atlas Zeno cable, B&W Pi7 S2 and B&W C5 v2.
    CABLES: Analogue: Speaker Atlas Mavros Grun. Interconnect - Atlas Mavros XLR x3, MCRU Silver Tonearm cable
    Digital:Audioquest Carbon Ethernet x 4, Audioquest Carbon digital, English Electric 8Switch, Chord Optichord, Atlas Optical.
    Mains: PS Audio Perfectwave AC-05 x 5, Isol-8 Powerline Extreme with Quantum Science yellow fuse on input cable, Sounds Fantastic 6way Mains Blocks.
    STORAGE: Synology DS216J NAS with 2 x 3Tb WD Red hard-drives. Samsung 500Gb SSD.
    TV LG55B7 OLED

I'm Geoff.

HifiMan 400i headphones. In general I do not like headphones as I find them uncomfortable. However, a serious health problem meant I was spending more time away from my hifi. I wanted something that sounded similar to my Magneplanar 1.7 speakers, so I went for planar magnetic headphones. The 400i's did not disappoint with their lightning fast transient response, smooth but extended treble, and open and airy sound. However, they were hugely improved when I replaced the standard cable with a 4.4mm balanced cable. Using the balanced output on my modest Ifi Zen DAC, the bass has improved beyond belief, due no doubt to the much higher output of this port.

I noticed that HifiMan have recently launched a high sensitivity version of of this headphone claimed to work well with portable devices.

I'm Justin.

Plus I'm not keen on most modern headphones, certainly nothing less than £300, as I find them all a bit 'tinny'. I like BASS! Or more accurately, an accurate and realistic sounding low-end response from headphones, so dislike the thin (or at the other extreme boomy) treble-forward sound of most modern designs, *in comparison* with the best vintage ones.

Also, I've never understood the 'beef' with cables... Either ensure that your headphone amp (or main amp) is near your seating area [and if it isn't, then you haven't properly thought out your room], or just use an extension cable - and you're not 'tethered' either, if you simply remove the headphones from yer bonce when you need to walk about

Nah, I get why you like cordless cans with Bluetooth, but I'm more old-fashioned that way, in that I prefer being the one in control of things, not the network!

Marco.
    Well, Ali, here's a post from a man who hasn't got a clue how good the Sony's are

I'm Adrian.

Marco.
    Sounds like a bit of audiophile snobbery going on here.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Quote Originally Posted by User211 View Post
    Well, Ali, here's a post from a man who hasn't got a clue how good the Sony's are
    Lol aye, the Sonys are great cans. The Oppos have been sitting unused for quite some time tbh. You’d like them Marco, they have very decent bass.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast