+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Headphone survey

I'm Steve.

Thumbs up Headphone survey

Which cans are you using and why?

I'm Kevin.

Sennheiser HD650 because they were the first I bought.
    Sennheiser HD540 Reference II, because they don't have the bass lift of the HD650.
    Hifiman Sundara as I fancied some planar magnetics.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm Grant.

nuraphone's.. bluetooth or cabled, and learn and adapt to your hearing ... best ive heard, and i usually use on bluetooth tbh. ive a longrange dongle on my pc and i can walk all over most of house. not cheap but good.. about 350 i think or were.

Last edited by struth; 24-09-2020 at 11:01.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm guy.

Bowers and Wilkins P3 - comfortable (for my head!), sound good and portable (take on holidays for poolside/beach listening)

Alessandro Music series one (2009 version), leather headband and Sennheiser yellow ear pads - I found the Sennheiser pads more comfortable than standard "Grado" or the doughnut shaped foam pads (I used to love my old Sennheiser HD400 'phones and got the idea of using the yellow pads from using them, not sure why they are better, just feel less scratchy and take longer to overheat my ears).
    Effectively a Grado headphone (SR80?) but cheaper to buy in UK (the Alessandro's come from Canada and they don't mind selling to UK, if you want Grado you have to buy in UK at inflated price compared to US retail).
    Dynamic, good base - can be a little strident at times/with some source material.

For me comfort is the deciding factor, I tried several headphones before buying the B&W's but couldn't put up with them on my head for long enough to decide whether I liked the sound
    LP12, Ittok (black), DV10X5, NVA Phono 2 (twin supply), NVAP50, Art Audio Quintet 15w power amp, NVA LS5 cable, Rega Ela mk1's.
    Sony CDP XB930.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Vintage Koss PRO-4AAAs [Well I bought them yesterday and they're on their way]:

Why? Because I like the 'voicing'/tone of high-quality vintage speakers, and so headphones come into that category! Therefore, I generally prefer how they present music, compared with modern speakers or headphones.

Plus, I've always wanted an original pair of Koss PRO-4AAA, as back in the day they were used in top recording and broadcast studios around the world. For me Koss were the definitive headphone company (the original American one) and their designs had a unique sound, which was always unfailingly musical, and also transparent to the recording, giving voices and instruments a vibrancy and realism that was always very addictive

Grado headphones are a bit like that too, and also possess that 'buttery' mellifluous midrange, but without the visceral low-end punch and attack of the Koss. I guess that I just love how American 'cans' sound.

And, as a diehard 'SPPV' guy, I like owning gear that delivers maximum 'bang for your buck'.

I paid £210 for the above (near-mint condition) examples, which isn't an insignificant amount for a pair of 40 year-old headphones, but I know that with the build quality, design prowess and materials used, it will allow them to compete with many of today's designs, at least up to the £500 mark, and likely well beyond.

Plus, if you like retro [count me in], they look cool!

If I was buying brand new, high-end headphones, but still at a 'sensible price', then I'd go for these Audio Technicas:

Details here: https://www.audio-technica.com/en-gb...ed/ath-ad2000x

A) Because I love the 'airy' and very natural sound of high-quality open-backed headphones, and B) because AT have the experience, technical prowess and wherewithal to design some of the very best headphones on the market, whilst still charging 'sane' prices, and I think that the ATH-AD2000X, on the end of a top-notch headphone amp, would be capable of true greatness!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by CageyH View Post
    Sennheiser HD650 because they were the first I bought.
    Sennheiser HD540 Reference II, because they don't have the bass lift of the HD650.
    Hifiman Sundara as I fancied some planar magnetics.
    I have heard great things about the Sundara'\

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by guy View Post
    For me comfort is the deciding factor, I tried several headphones before buying the B&W's but couldn't put up with them on my head for long enough to decide whether I liked the sound...
    Aww... Have you got a delicate wee head? Bless!

Don't think I've ever used a pair of headphones that I couldn't tolerate the feel of, to the extent that I wasn't able to wear them for long. Yes, ultimately, comfort is important, but no more so than of course sound quality.

Not much point in having something that's 'comfy', but sounds shite (or mediocre)... Therefore, for me, if a pair of headphones sound amazing, but aren't the last word in comfort (although still acceptable enough in that area), then I'll put up with a little bit of discomfort, over long-term listening, for the sonic reward

The Koss come under that category, as they're heavy buggers... Luckily though, my head (and neck) are thick enough to cope!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Kevin.

Quote Originally Posted by Floyddroid View Post
    I have heard great things about the Sundara'\
    They are pretty good.
    User Feedback is why I bought them.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm inthescottishmafia.

A pair of Oppo PM3 which are very good, also a pair of Sony WH-1000XM3 Bluetooth phones which I also find very good, and no faff with cables. :-)

Bought a decent Bluetooth transmitter-
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The Sonys suffer little in comparison to the Oppo IMO, a little less detail, but more bassy which is what I was looking for, being accustomed to the 18" drivers on the Bastanis.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali Tait View Post
    A pair of Oppo PM3 which are very good, also a pair of Sony WH-1000XM3 Bluetooth phones which I also find very good, and no faff with cables. :-)

Bought a decent Bluetooth transmitter-
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The Sonys suffer little in comparison to the Oppo IMO, a little less detail, but more bassy which is what I was looking for, being accustomed to the 18" drivers on the Bastanis.
    Got Oppos myself and Sonys, although the sony 900's. both good cans.

good dongle here... https://www.amazon.co.uk/Avantree-Bl...rkle_td_asin_1
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast