+ Reply to Thread

Thread: My Yamaha RXV1700 has just dropped dead?

Location: Banbury, Oxfordshire/Panteg is where my late father was born

I'm Chris.

Default My Yamaha RXV1700 has just dropped dead?

Was just playing some music through it on Sunday last, after about 10 minutes it just died? No warning no signs of anything, just kaput!

I thought about getting it repaired but I don't think it will be cheap? I did a diy fix about 5 years ago, the standby switch was playing up, so changed a small cap and all was well,, tried changing this again to no avail.

Not sure what to do to be honest, I'm currently running my spare Cambridge audio 740A, and I'm wondering if I should just leave it and get a budget phono stage.

But I think I will miss the yammy.
    Chris

We've gone on holiday by mistake !

I'm Alan.

I fix anything Chris.

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebottle View Post
    I fix anything Chris.
    Hi Allan, Do you think you can fix this thing, it's a bit of a complex beast, though as I understand it the boards are modular and so on.
    Chris

I'm Alan.

I haven't been beaten yet.

I'm Chris.

I suspect that you could Allan, I'm just not sure if it will be cost effective? It's 12 years old and a bit behind the times, having said that it's still a fine bit of kit.
    Chris

I'm Chris.

Still haven't decided what to do with the old yammy? Having recently upgraded to a nice 50 inch 4k HDR Samsung TV and now a Sony x800m2 4k blu ray player.
    I'm now pretty keen to get surround sound system back up, everything still in place just waiting, both the Samsung and Sony are digital out only.
    But looking for a new amp and pretty much everything I'm interested in is out of stock.
    Chris

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by chris@panteg View Post
    Was just playing some music through it on Sunday last, after about 10 minutes it just died? No warning no signs of anything, just kaput!

I thought about getting it repaired but I don't think it will be cheap? I did a diy fix about 5 years ago, the standby switch was playing up, so changed a small cap and all was well,, tried changing this again to no avail.

Not sure what to do to be honest, I'm currently running my spare Cambridge audio 740A, and I'm wondering if I should just leave it and get a budget phono stage.

But I think I will miss the yammy.
    When you say just died is it completely dead or just no sound? I ask as my onkyo stopped working a couple of months back in that there was not sound. Found that it was the dts chip which is apparently a common fault with a lot of receivers of the time. Wasnt able to find anyone to fix it as the dts chips although still available can't officially be purchased as they are supplied to the original manufacturer only. Most of the time it's just a matter of reballing the chip but most repair places are relucted to do that as there is not guarantee it will work. For me I followed a guide on the internet using a 50w dichroic over the chip for a couple of minutes and that seems to have reflowed the chip at least enough to get it working again. So it if is is that it may be a simple fix although I couldn't say how long it would last.

Mike

I'm Chris.

Hi Mike.
    No it just quite literally conked out and died, wouldn't turn on again.
    I contacted a repairer centre but decided it wasn't worth it and took it to a tip/recycling centre.

Have recently bought another Yamaha amp, rxv 685 for a great price.
    A big improvement all round with dolby atmos and dts x plus 4k HDR compatability.
    Very happy with it.
    Chris

I'm Dan.

Check any fuses?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread