+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 41 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: The Big Bread Thread.

I'm Tony.

Quote Originally Posted by guy View Post
    Well I did try making sour dough rye bread a while back. The "mother"/starter (built up with rye flour additions over a couple of weeks) was lively, but every loaf I made was heavy - damp inside and rock hard outside. It did taste very good though

Recent experience with the potato bread, using bought yeast, was so easy and much better texture (making rolls rather than a loaf would account for the better texture inside I suppose).

So, for starters (bit of a pun there) any thoughts on sour dough/do you use your own "wild" culture, or do you use dried/fast acting yeast?
    Thanks in advance.
    Sounds to me like it’s the actual baking that’s the problem?

I use the same technique with different ingredients generally. My starter was originally just strong white bread flour but now I tend to feed it with wholemeal.

I’m pretty rubbish at looking after the starter to be honest, and keep it for weeks at a time in the fridge unused. So far, the only time I have needed to stsrt from scratch again was when I dropped the entire starter container on the floor! Luckily, I had kept some of my ‘throw away’ starter from that one in another container in the fridge with the intentions of giving it to a friend. This now became my new starter and saved me about a week, as I just took it out the fridge, fed it for about three days snd it was good to go! . I guess I must have a very ‘yeasty’ flat, as that seems to work every time so far.

I generally use the ‘no knead’ method..

Put 100g of starter in mixing bowl
    Add 450g of flour (whatever mix)
    Add 7g of salt
    Add 310ml of (at least skin temperature) water

With a wet hand (I only use one), mix the ingredients together with your fingers. Give it s good old swirl at first, then make sure everything is incorporated together. Doesn’t have to be a smooth dough at this point, just a reasonably uniform mess.

Cover with cloth and leave for at least half an hour.

Fold 12: with a wet hand, working your way around the messy dough lump, dig your fingers around the circumference, kind of freeing the dough a little bit from the bowl before you start...then slide your fingers underneath a good clump of the outside of the dough, pinching it with your thumb, lifting and stretching it up and over to the centre. Don’t be precious about it, just grab a big clump, pull it up and over to the centre. Repeat this motion around the circumference of the dough 12 times (moving the bowl around with your other hand).

Spray the dough with a bit of water*, cover and leave for about 2 hours.

Fold 6: Repeat what you did the first time. You should find that about 6 good folds should cover the entire ball of dough.

Spray with water, cover and leave for another 2 hours.

Fold 6: Same as last time, 6 folds should do it. You should notice that dough is looking (and feeling) a lot more like a proper bread dough now too.

Spray with water, cover and leave for at least 1 hour.

Pre-shape: flour the surface of your worktop (in my case, chopping board). Tip out the dough onto worktop and basically repeat another 6 folds as before. When folded, dust with a bit of flour then turn over onto it’s ‘messy’ side (so it’s lying on it’s folded seams). Leave it uncovered on the board for about 30mins to an hour.

Shape: This is the bit people love to get precious and arty about but to be honest, the work has already been done, this is just about stretching and shaping the dough to get a good shaped loaf.

Dust an area of your worktop and flip the rested dough onto it, exposing it’s formerly messy side. The side that was exposed to the air should be quite dry by now but just move the dough around s bit and make sure it’s not sticking to the worktop.

Work your way around the outside of the dough, gently pulling and stretching the circle of dough outwards, until you’ve given it a good old stretch.

Left side of the circle of dough - lift and fold it into the middle.

Right side - lift and fold it into the middle.

Top side - lift and fold to middle THEN....kind of tuck/push it back a little with your hands, tucking and rolling it over the remaining exposed dough to form a nice ‘loafish’ shape. Tuck/pat around the edges with your hands to shape it a little.

That’s it, your loaf is ready to prove overnight.

Put the loaf, belly side up into a floured banneton or bowl (tucking any loose folds into the centre) and leave it in the fridge overnight.

Baking it: This is MY routine (standard disclaimer applies )

Stick the flat lid of the Dutch Oven on the top shelf, pot of the DO on the bottom shelf.

Oven on 230C (mine is a fan oven, so 20 hotter if not)

While oven is getting up to temperature. Turn out loaf onto Baking Parchment. (This may take some teasing if you using a Banneton). I generally have the Baking Parchment on a Pizza Peel as it makes moving/transferring the loaf easier.

When oven is hot, take out the flat lid and pot - CAREFULLY, and put on top of oven for access.

Slide loaf (and paper) onto the lid, so seated well.

Carefully put a pronounced slit along the the length of the loaf with the sharpest blade you have (a bought grinette is generally best but a razor or very sharp knife will do in a pinch).

Give the loaf a final good spray with water and carefully place the pot on top, sealing your little ‘bakers oven’.

Put the whole thing in the oven and let it cook for 15 mins. This is when the magic happens, that water turns to steam, the loaf rises and the slit allows a glorious, unimpeded expansion.

Turn the oven down to 190C

Open the oven door and remove the pot of the DO, exposing your risen loaf to the world.

Close the oven door and leave for 20 mins.

Turn off oven snd take out your unique sourdough loaf.

Enjoy!

*a little water sprayer is a must have really.

** if you don’t have a Dutch Oven or lidded pot, see my previous post about using a roasting dish filled with boiling water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    A mainly digital setup with a musical amplifier and endearing 1970's speakers. A CD player that hardly ever gets used and a turntable that is good enough to remind my how enjoyable my old vinyl is. Some cables and things.

I'm guy.

Brilliant - I think that you may be right about the baking being the problem.

We have just got a new oven with several heating options (the old one was fan only) the new one, which I made the rolls in, recommends using a top and bottom (no fan) heat setting for baking bread.
    Would using 100% Rye also make for a heavy loaf?
    I will have another play now that I have had some success - I will also ask my wife whether she would like a Dutch oven as I have been told to rein in my spending now that I am retired.

Thanks for the detailed (and quick response)
    LP12, Ittok (black), DV10X5, NVA Phono 2 (twin supply), NVAP50, Art Audio Quintet 15w power amp, NVA LS5 cable, Rega Ela mk1's.
    Sony CDP XB930.

I'm Grant.

maybe add some white to the rye. rye has a lower gluten so makes a denser loaf.. maybe 50/50 or 60/40. 60/40 white to rye whas what i used years ago.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Tony.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    maybe add some white to the rye. rye has a lower gluten so makes a denser loaf.. maybe 50/50 or 60/40. 60/40 white to rye whas what i used years ago.
    What Grant said!

A mainly digital setup with a musical amplifier and endearing 1970's speakers. A CD player that hardly ever gets used and a turntable that is good enough to remind my how enjoyable my old vinyl is. Some cables and things.

I'm Tony.

Default The Big Bread Thread.

Small. ToCis Big BBQ DO 4.5 Premium Dutch-Oven made of cast-iron | Pre-Seasoned 10' cast iron cooking pot | with lid lifter and lid stand | with legs https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01FVRRM..._r9eDFbKYKJB29

Large

femor Outdoor Dutch Oven 8 Litre Cast Iron Cooking Pot with Feet Pre-Burned Roasting Dish with Lid Lifter Spiral Handle and Slot for Thermometer for BBQ, Cooking, Roasting and Baking https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0831G9Y..._.9eDFb4HM7VS2

These options look pretty good.

Last edited by mightymonoped; 30-09-2020 at 09:27.

I'm Grant.

These links no worky Tony..

I've what is more a French oven I guess as its enamelled cast. Bloody heavy tho.

Ignore the bottles lol they are for my water
    Regards,

FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Tony.

Have edited links, they working now?

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by mightymonoped View Post
    Have edited links, they working now?

yup, both working now...
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm guy.

Thanks for the links and advice on white/rye mix chaps - we do have a couple of le creuset casseroles, a bit small at around 2.5 litre, but I will have a practice making a couple of small loaves. If successful I can use it to persuade my wife about getting a bigger one
    LP12, Ittok (black), DV10X5, NVA Phono 2 (twin supply), NVAP50, Art Audio Quintet 15w power amp, NVA LS5 cable, Rega Ela mk1's.
    Sony CDP XB930.

I'm Justin.

As I said in post #64 100% rye is a no go IMHO.

You will get a brick.

70% white 30% rye is good. 50/50 white/rye is only if you really like a lot of rye.

I have 2KG of gram flour which has zero gluten. I will be using it in some recipe soon. Watch this space.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 41 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast