+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 41 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: The Big Bread Thread.

I'm Justin.

Also I think a white sour dough starter is best. You can always add rye to it but you can also make a white loaf too. With a rye starter you are always committed to some rye content. That's just annoying.

I'm Grant.

i used to have a white starter for years.. just bunged it in fridge when i didnt need it.. i ended up killing it when i forgot about it after being ill lol.. before that i used to just keep back some of the dough before i got 2nd rise and baked. bung that in fridge and just add it to the new dough next time.. that was a slower way but it worked best. i think that was the way it was done in old days
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm guy.

Quote Originally Posted by User211 View Post
    Also I think a white sour dough starter is best. You can always add rye to it but you can also make a white loaf too. With a rye starter you are always committed to some rye content. That's just annoying.
    interesting - is it something to do with the type of yeast which grow on a rye starter?
    LP12, Ittok (black), DV10X5, NVA Phono 2 (twin supply), NVAP50, Art Audio Quintet 15w power amp, NVA LS5 cable, Rega Ela mk1's.
    Sony CDP XB930.

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by guy View Post
    interesting - is it something to do with the type of yeast which grow on a rye starter?
    its wise to continue feeding rye starter with rye.. white flour is a better starter tbh and much more reliable.. you can of course use it with some rye flour and white bread mix. as said b4, rye is low gluten so by itself wont protuce a lot of the stuff you need to trap those steamy bubbles.

id also say breadmaking; in fact baking in general is mostly science, with some art.. some things are not important, and others are.
    Regards,

FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm guy.

Hi Grant,

I was using 100% Rye for my starter (using a recipe given to me by an older chap who was married to Finnish lady).

I understand what you are saying about gluten, but Justin's comment about by using a Rye starter you are committed to some Rye content in the bread - I found it interesting as I am am used to using particular yeasts for different beers.
    Without really thinking about it I bought some "cider yeast" for my batch of cider which I am making from apples from my garden, just interested is it a flavour or yeast activity thing?
    I must do some reading up on the topic of yeast types, after all brewing and bread making go together like the proverbial horse and carriage
    LP12, Ittok (black), DV10X5, NVA Phono 2 (twin supply), NVAP50, Art Audio Quintet 15w power amp, NVA LS5 cable, Rega Ela mk1's.
    Sony CDP XB930.

I'm Grant.

I wont say it wont wok because it probably will many times but being wild yeasts, they are based initially off of rye in this case and are looking for rye as food. Not to say they wont eat on white but they will prosper on the same food(this is a starter we are talking about and not a bread)
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm guy.

Sounds very logical Grant
    Sony CDP XB930.

I'm Justin.

New toy.

I'm Grant.

a pizza shovel?
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Justin.

A white starter has always worked well with rye addition in this house.

However if you DO want a very large percentage of rye because you like bricks it won't work!

I actually do like the taste of 100% rye but it is just so solid!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 41 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast