+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 41 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Thread: The Big Bread Thread.

I'm Justin.

Actually no just put the temp down again to 180.

Do as the girl says She did say 5 minutes lid off but I might do more.

I'm Justin.

And here it is Grant.

What I noticed is it browns very quickly after an hour at 180 lid on. That is 15 minutes after taking the lid off at 180, because I like bread well done.

So by not doing what I usually do, I have learnt something.

I'm Justin.

Fabulous taste. Really good with butter and Iraty.

Excellent texture and bounce. Nice and soft.

She's good. No question.

Today's mission over.

I'm Tony.

Quote Originally Posted by User211 View Post
    Fabulous taste. Really good with butter and Iraty.

Excellent texture and bounce. Nice and soft.

She's good. No question.

Today's mission over.

Looks fabulous !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    A mainly digital setup with a musical amplifier and endearing 1970's speakers. A CD player that hardly ever gets used and a turntable that is good enough to remind my how enjoyable my old vinyl is. Some cables and things.

I'm Justin.

Shame I can't pass you a piece, Tony.

I am genuinely impressed with it.

Another recipe of hers is definitely on the cards.

I'm Tony.

Shame I can't pass you a piece, Tony.

I am genuinely impressed with it.

Another recipe of hers is definitely on the cards.
    Might have to get that book.

A mainly digital setup with a musical amplifier and endearing 1970's speakers. A CD player that hardly ever gets used and a turntable that is good enough to remind my how enjoyable my old vinyl is. Some cables and things.

I'm Tony.

Default The Big Bread Thread.

Here’s the bagel recipe I have always used (as it always gives good results).

It’s from Nigella’s “How to Be a Domestic Goddess”, which to be fair is probably my most used cookbook.

She has ‘borrowed’ it from a traditional Jewish recipe. I can’t attest to the authenticity of that, but I can say that I’ve had feedback in the past from a Jewish friend who said they tasted like the ones his grandmother makes, so there you go.

Only difference I make to her recipe is where it calls for malt syrup in the poaching water; despite the fact that I live nextdoor to Crisp Maltings, I don’t have any, so used honey this time (have used sugar in the past).

—————————————————————-

1kg White Flour
    7g of fast acting yeast (hand or machine type)
    1Tbsp Salt
    2Tbsp Sugar
    1Tbp Vegetable Oil
    500ml warm water

Pan of boiling water with added Malt Syrup or Sugar (2 Tbsp)

Mix Flour, Salt, Yeast in bowl (or Kitchenaid)
    Mix Sugar, Oil and Water together in jug

Slowly add water mixture to dry ingredients while mixing together until combined.

This is hard work even for a Kitchenaid/Flour Hook as it is a very dry dough. In the case of bagels, dry is best!

Work the dough for at least 10 mins until smooth and consistent ball of dough.

Leave in oiled bowl (ensure entire dough ball has been coated by the oil), cover with clingfilm and leave for at least 1 Hour.

Dough should now be well risen.
    Knock it back well and give another need for a few minutes.

Divide into 3

Roll each ball into a short string and divide into 5

Roll each of the five into a string, loop around the end and twist them to secure.

You now should 15 bagels (on two oiled or parchment covered baking sheets)

Leave these to rise for a short time, while the water in the big poaching pan comes up to boil.

Bring the oven up to at least 230C.

Poach the bagels a few at a time for about 2 or 3 minutes, then place them back on the trays.

This is a good time to add your preferred cover, while the bagels are still wet.

Place in hot oven and bake for about 10 minutes until golden brown.

Enjoy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalko

I'm Justin.

Those bagels do look great. I don't think my bread maker will handle the dough and I don't have a mixer.

I would definitely get that Sourdough book Tony. I ignored it for ages because it all looked like too much hassle. And it is, but it's worth it if you have the time.

I'm Tony.

Those bagels do look great. I don't think my bread maker will handle the dough and I don't have a mixer.

I would definitely get that Sourdough book Tony. I ignored it for ages because it all looked like too much hassle. And it is, but it's worth it if you have the time.
    I only use the mixer for a couple of minutes then do the rest by hand to be honest. It’s a good exercise or stress-reliever. :-)

I'm Grant.

bread and bagels both look pretty great... think the bread paddle will do 50/50 ok. most of breads it has in book are fairly dry
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 41 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast