+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Avid Pulsus vs Graham Slee Accession

I'm Pani.

Default Avid Pulsus vs Graham Slee Accession

Folks,

I am looking for a phonostage upgrade from Lehmann Blackcube. Have tried couple of tube phonostages,*like the EAR 834 (colored sound and not too resolving), Audio Note (again too colored for my taste),*Allnic H1500 (very good but ultimately hifi sounding). Among solid states I liked the Naim Prefix when I had them in the past. I have heard the Avid Pulsare in showrooms and liked what I heard. I am considering*Graham phonostages because of their overall reputation.

I need something that is musically honest, neutral and dynamic. Many/most hifi equipments falter on this aspect.*

Has anyone compared the Avid Pulsus and Graham Slee Accession ? The only other phonostage I am considering at the moment is a Croft RIAA R/RS

One thing I have noticed while reading about Avid phonostages on the internet. While no one says the Pulsare is bad, almost everyone has over the top appreciation for Pulsus. Gets me thinking if the Pulsus is actually the more musical device than the Pulsare ?

I'm Kevin.

Not heard the Avid, but I have heard the Accession MM and MC. I am unable to help you in a comparison. The Accession phono stages are very good, but may not be too your taste, so try and get to listen to one if you can.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm Pani.

Quote Originally Posted by CageyH View Post
    The Accession phono stages are very good, but may not be too your taste, so try and get to listen to one if you can.
    Why do you say so? I have heard a Reflex M with Elevator matched with Shelter 901 Mk2 cartridge. It was superb!

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Pani View Post
    Why do you say so? I have heard a Reflex M with Elevator matched with Shelter 901 Mk2 cartridge. It was superb!
    Seems perfectly sensible to me, to suggest listening to equipment.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Kevin.

Quote Originally Posted by Pani View Post
    I am not saying that it is not excellent. It is very good.
    People like certain sounds, and it a personal choice. I have not heard the other phono stage, so cannot offer an opinion of the two.

The Accession MC with the Enigma PSU1 is certainly worth an audition, but with all things HiFi, let your ears decide....
    Kevin

I'm Pani.

Quote Originally Posted by CageyH View Post
    I am not saying that it is not excellent. It is very good.
    People like certain sounds, and it a personal choice. I have not heard the other phono stage, so cannot offer an opinion of the two.

The Accession MC with the Enigma PSU1 is certainly worth an audition, but with all things HiFi, let your ears decide....
    Hi, would you suggest an Accession MC or an Accession M with Elevator/SUT ?

I'm Kevin.

If you want to use MM cartridges as well, go the SUT/Elevator Exp route, but you may cind that the Enigma PSU1 adds very little to the Accession MM. If just using MC, Accession MC + Enigma PSU1 seems to be a popular choice. Ideally you need to try both, and decide for yourself.
    Kevin

+ Reply to Thread