+ Reply to Thread

Thread: HELLO

I'm Alan.

Default HELLO

Hi everyone!

My name is Alan, I've been around for years, even at the earliest iterations of AoS. I've probably been on forums for fifteen or so years on and off.

I may have drifted away from AoS but I still post at pfm and Audiochews. I used to post at WigWam when that was a thing, and HFS when I used NVA. I like to dip on and out of ASR for context. I read AA for the jokes.

I'm very good friends with Colin Wonfor, and through that have accidentally become 'trade' (or 'dealerscum' as we used to call them on WW). I taught myself to build and run a small amateur webshop called ABCaudio where I present Colin's designs and sell them. I build and ship all the cables, Colin does the boxes of things.

It's starting to capture some attention, thanks to Colin's extraordinary designs and reputation. I still have a day job, which won't change, bit it's heartening to see Colin get some recognition.

At home I'm all digital:

SotM SMS-200 digital server, controlled via Bubbleupnp.

SMSL M-400 DAC, a truly brilliant DAC.

Prototype EWA pre amp - not really sure what to call it.

EWA M-100 Turbo S amplifier.

Revel Performa3 F-208 loudspeakers.

Cables: all EWA by Colin Wonfor.

I look forward to getting to know some of you!

Best regards, from leafy East Sussex. https://www.abcaudio.biz/

I'm Grant.

welcome again Alan. i see youve got stuck in
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Geoff.

Hello Alan. Welcome to AOS.

Sounds like you have an interesting system. I also like Colin's designs, not tried any yet though.

I see you've joined in the fun and got chatting already. You'll find it a friendly place.

Enjoy the forum,
    Geoff.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Josie.

Welcome to AOS, Alan.

Nice website too. I've been looking at EWA, looks interesting.

Enjoy AOS... and welcome back
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com

Facebook

I'm Alan.

Thank you, both!

It's nice to be back, and I see @Filterlab has returned! That can only be a good thing. 👍
    https://www.abcaudio.biz/. Representing EWA audio designs by Colin Wonfor

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Welcome to AoS Alan.

Delighted to have you here, even if only as an outlet for Colin's designs. I would especially be interested in an EW SECA amplifier, as a 'monoblock' with a true dual differential input.

We know what you use to listen to music, but what are your tastes in music? (We're a bit of a nosey bunch here. )

Enjoy the Forum
    Barry
    Barry

I'm Alan.

Hi Barry,

There will be a new SECA soon, I'll talk with Col about your requests. The newer amp I use from Col is dual differential, just not sure that translates to a SECA.

Music: Blues and folk influenced music from around the world with a particular fascination for Americana and Canadiana. Anything that tells a story. Love me some Jazz, from the bop influenced big band towards modern jazz, and am developing more of a love for various electronica.

I have an underdeveloped taste and appreciation for classical music but really need tutoring as I stumble around...

As I have a large young family, and juggle work commitments, serious listening has become a rare thing for me. So I am a supporting listener of radio paradise, and probably listen about eighty percent of my time there either on a mobile device or on my workshop system, which gets loads of use:

It's a CCA, Inca Tech Dirk from the year I was born, scraps of LS-40 cable and 'Wonfor' modified JPW Sonata speakers. I love this little thing!

I'm Alan.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Welcome to AoS Alan.

Delighted to have you here, even if only as an outlet for Colin's designs. I would especially be interested in an EW SECA amplifier, as a 'monoblock' with a true dual differential input.

We know what you use to listen to music, but what are your tastes in music? (We're a bit of a nosey bunch here. )

Enjoy the Forum
    Barry
    Hi Barry!

SECA amps are Colin's 'thing', so you can have pretty much what you want.

If you want true dual differential then you are getting into some very nice advantages, but you are also painting yourself into a corner regarding size. The SECA modules output 10-40W RMS true class A. If you bridge at 10 Watts (the minimum) you are going to end up with minimum of 40 Watts output. An utterly gorgeous forty Watts.

This means size: You will be tied to monoblocks, they will be the size of an M-100 each and weight over thirty kilo each. They will get HOT! If you don't mind all this, then you are looking at around £5k build cost. More accurate costings if you're serious... there's a contact form at https://abcaudio.biz

Your more sensible option may be a SECA amplifier without dual differential, then you can go smaller than 40 Watts if you like. Possibly even a stereo chassis at around 15 - 18W. A balanced input is still feasible and will be sensational, just no bridging involved. If you ramp up to 40W in this configuration you have a similar issue with heat and size, and DD might be better (in a no compromise kind of way).

+ Reply to Thread