+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Idiots guide to using a DAC with USB

I'm Peter.

Default Idiots guide to using a DAC with USB

I have a Topping D90MQA DAC. I would like to connect my laptop or iPad to the DAC via USB to play High Res and MQA files.

Laptop - do I have to download any particular drivers to the laptop because at the moment the sound only comes out of the laptop and not the speakers. I’ve looked in settings on the laptop but not really familiar with how this works. I’m using Windows 8.1 software

iPad - I understand I will probably need an Apple camera connector kit with a USB port that I can also power up through a separate Apple lightning conductor

Any help or comments greatly appreciated

I'm Grant.

laptop, right click the speaker icon at bottom right and then click; open sound settings... then change sound output to the topping dac
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm BigBobJoylove.

As you’re using Windows you will need the right driver for your Topping D90...

http://www.tpdz.net/download

Once installed, follow the instructions above.
    _

On the iPad, Apple do a USB adapter with Lightning port for power...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01DGDNL..._0ZqzFbA8AZ2DN

Apple devices don’t require drivers for USB devices.

I'm Peter.

Thanks for the help so far. I bought the adapter today but haven’t tried it yet. To use the laptop I have to download the drivers but my laptop only has Microsoft 8.1 and I need version 10. Still a work in progress, will try the adaptor now.

I'm Peter.

Ok, making progress with iPad.

The DAC is connected with a USB cable into the USB 3 adapter which is powered with a lighting connector. I have opened the Tidal app and played an MQA file which shows as a Master on the app but on the DAC the sampling rate shows 44.1 kHz and I would have expected at least 96kHz.

Any ideas why this is?

I'm BigBobJoylove.

V4.86 works on Windows 7 and above.

http://www.tpdz.net/newsinfo/435189.html

I'm BigBobJoylove.

Quote Originally Posted by supapeet View Post
    Ok, making progress with iPad.

The DAC is connected with a USB cable into the USB 3 adapter which is powered with a lighting connector. I have opened the Tidal app and played an MQA file which shows as a Master on the app but on the DAC the sampling rate shows 44.1 kHz and I would have expected at least 96kHz.

Any ideas why this is?
    Is your Tidal subscription the ‘Hi-Fi’ variant?

I'm Peter.

Yes it is

I'm BigBobJoylove.

Have you set the streaming settings to Hi-Fi/Master?

In Audio > Device > Renderer Only

Then

Advanced > MQA Core Decoder > Yes

I'm Peter.

I’ve set the settings to Master in my collection but I can’t find the menus you suggest up there which is probably the issue.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast