+ Reply to Thread

Thread: FS: Sony TC-K-555 cassette deck

I'm Pete.

Default FS: Sony TC-K-555 cassette deck

This is a very capable cassette recorder, I recall it worked best with Metal tapes but good quality Chrome and Standard TDK tapes performed acceptably.

I have not used this cassette deck in years so have given heads and rollers a clean - cotton bud and tape head cleaning solution - powered it on, plugged in some headphones, selected a tape and gave it a play. Yes, playback still works fine - very good for tape - but the headphone volume control causes a bit of a "hissy" noise when adjusted so needs a clean. I do not have any output sockets on my current system so cannot check that recording still works... possibly the recording level controls will also need cleaning.

I do seem to have found a possible fault during my playback testing. Once when I inserted a tape and pressed play there was no audio, tape was moving but seemed a little fast. I pressed stop, ejected and reinserted tape, pressed play and had good audio playback. Investigating a little there seems to be a slight fault with the cassette flap in that sometimes it does not close fully/properly sometimes. I think it may be an easy repair for someone with more technical skills than myself.

I have found an online review here to give an idea of the cassette decks capabilities -
    http://www.hifi-classic.net/review/s...-k555-265.html

I no longer have the box or manual which went missing after a house move and the wired remote control (socket visible in photo of front) was an option that my wallet - and Mrs - declined when purchasing the cassette deck.

Specifications, owners manual and other docs are available here -
    https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_li.../tc-k555.shtml
    Note that *Free* Registration is required in order to download the files.

I have had a lot of problems trying to price this cassette deck so turned to ebay for inspiration(?) - £299!!!
    see https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sony-TC-K...kAAOSwcDdb9KG8
    WOW! I did not pay that new!
    I think I paid around £260 new in 1984.

There are a few very minor scratches to the case and a possible problem with the loading flap.
    If I was going to add this back into my system I would get it serviced and the loading flap checked/repaired as necessary.

With the above in mind I think £145 is a fair asking price.

I would prefer Collection as I can offer the purchaser the option of taking away my few remaining old cassettes. The few I have tried all seem to be playing reasonably well and can probably be successfully recorded over with music more to your taste. Cassettes are all TDK:- 1x D90, 2x AD60, 1xAD90, 5x SA90, 3x MA60, 11x MA90, 2x MA-X60(1 still sealed), 2x MA-X90 plus a few empty cases.

I am sure that I can find a box and packing capable of surviving a Courier Delivery which would be an extra £10 for the cassette deck; the box of tapes are free (with purchase of cassette recorder) but would cost £5 for delivery.

Last edited by losepete; 18-09-2020 at 04:11.

I'm Pete.

Price drop to £125

I'm Pete.

Now sold

+ Reply to Thread