+ Reply to Thread

Thread: FS: Musical Fidelity MC4 Loudspeakers and Heybrook stands

I'm Lawrence.

Default FS: Musical Fidelity MC4 Loudspeakers and Heybrook stands

Very nice sounding speakers designed by Martin Colloms with 8" polypropylene bass drivers and Elac metal dome tweeters.

The cabinets are just under the classic 2 cubic feet size favoured by the BBC, Spendor etc.

Unfortunately one of the bass drivers has a split in it, I can't hear any effect at (for me) normal listening levels but I'm sure it's far from ideal in technical terms. I was going to glue it, I think it's a reasonable repair as it's plastic, but they won't replace my Amphion speakers and I don't have room for a second system here, so I might as well let them go.

The Heybrook open frame stands are very good ones, they are heavy iron frames with spikes on top and bottom, ideal for these and similar sized speakers. They seem to pierce carpets much better than any other stand I've owned

I'd like £40 for the speakers as the tweeters are worth that (they are sought by owners of TDL Studio speakers as well as many Monitor Audio speakers such as the R952MD).

The stands are £30, or £60 for the stands and speakers together.

Collection only from North London please.

Sent from my HRY-LX1 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Lawrence001; 17-09-2020 at 13:43.

I'm Lawrence.

Stands sold STP they're pretty damn good actually.

Speakers available for bargain £40 and loctite glue ordered as advised by Pharos (with first hand experience) on a separate thread. So can sell with the crack repaired. Remember the tweeters are worth the asking price alone and they're rather nice sounding (if not looking!) speakers.

I'm Lawrence.

The loctite didn't work but I've sealed the crack with PVA and it works nicely if not the nicest looking repair.

I'll take £30 collected, they can be broken up for more but I'd rather keep them together as they're actually very good speakers.

I'm Dennis.

I'm sorry that didn't seem to work, and I'm very, very, surprised at that Lawrence, and have never ever had a real difficulty gluing polypropylene with superglue, but it will not work on 'soapy' plastics like polythene. I have also used Thixofix to glue rubber sheet onto polypropylene as well, but large areas were involved thus making the process less demanding of the bond.

I've recently bought some mouse traps which are designed to entrap the mouse in a non cruel way. However they had what I consider to be a design fault; they depend on the mouse walking towards the end of a slope to get the enclosed food, at which point the trap tips, and a door closes.

The problem was that the food, a nut for example, rolled back to the door preventing the closure process, so I used a part of a small yoghurt container to make a shelf into which I could place the food. It took extensive careful cutting, but eventually I managed it and then superglued it into place. The glue took over 24 hours to set properly, and several applications were required, but it did eventually set hard and strong.

This may give an insight into the variabilities in the usage of superglue - varying chemistry.

I'm Lawrence.

Thanks Dennis it was worth a try anyway. Please see the asterisk on the reference to plastic in the instructions.

I'm Dennis.

Oh dear, but pp is notoriously difficult to glue. I think it may work on some - chemistry mioxtures may vary.

I'm Dennis.

I've just checked the passives, and the superglue worked on the ESS polypropylene cones. [I] would post a picture, but I'm reticent to publicly publish personal things in this predatory age.

I'm Lawrence.

Ooh are they the ESS speakers with the Heil AMT tweeters? Been after a pair of them for years, since I bought a vintage ESS power amp (since sadly sold).

+ Reply to Thread