+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: New Rig for Astro Imaging

I'm Justin.

I don't know much about optics but I know enough to have had an inkling that was the sort of answer I would get.

I always look at such images with the Fermi Paradox in mind. Where are those little alien critters FFS?

You have to wonder...

I'm Tony.

Update to rig:-

Phase 1 - addition of William Optics Redcat 51

Reputedly one of the sharpest lenses in the world.
    A four element Petzval apochromatic lens.

Phase 2 - will be the addition of a cooled, one shot colour (OSC) astronomy camera.

Phase 3 - will be the addition of a cooled mono astronomy camera.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    A mainly digital setup with a musical amplifier and endearing 1970's speakers. A CD player that hardly ever gets used and a turntable that is good enough to remind my how enjoyable my old vinyl is. Some cables and things.

I'm Grant.

that looks expensive
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Tony.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    that looks expensive
    Astro imaging is not as expensive as hifi

The WO Redcat 51 is £699, which IS considered expensive compared to some of the smaller ED or apochromatic scopes bit it is already a completely flat field lens so doesn’t need additional reducers or flat field adaptors in order to use it with any camera.

The cameras are actually the expensive items. The ones I want start at around £900

A mainly digital setup with a musical amplifier and endearing 1970's speakers. A CD player that hardly ever gets used and a turntable that is good enough to remind my how enjoyable my old vinyl is. Some cables and things.

I'm Grant.

i see there is a Draconid meteor shower this week...
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Tony.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    i see there is a Draconid meteor shower this week...
    Pretty limited field of view from my balcony unfortunately

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Interesting post Tony. I was aware of the Petzval lens used for portraiture, but I had to look up the difference between 'achromatic' and 'apochromatic' lenses.

As a photographer (strictly analogue) I was aware of the work of Voigtlander and of Steinheil and of the subsequent manufacturers bearing their names (and who's lenses I use, along with those by Zeiss), but didn't know the Petzval lens was used in astrophotograpy.

Since all of the objects are 'at infinity', you are not interested in depth of field - is this what you mean by "flat field", and why would you need an adapter?
    Barry

I'm Tony.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Interesting post Tony. I was aware of the Petzval lens used for portraiture, but I had to look up the difference between 'achromatic' and 'apochromatic' lenses.

As a photographer (strictly analogue) I was aware of the work of Voigtlander and of Steinheil and of the subsequent manufacturers bearing their names (and who's lenses I use, along with those by Zeiss), but didn't know the Petzval lens was used in astrophotograpy.

Since all of the objects are 'at infinity', you are not interested in depth of field - is this what you mean by "flat field", and why would you need an adapter?
    Hi Barry!

There are two uses of ‘flat’ in Astroimaging really.

One relates to vignetting and distortion at the edges in the optical field that require correction via a field-flattener lens.

That’s what I’m referring to as far as the Redcat is concerned. It doesn’t need any correction to fill a full-field camera without vignetting or distortion.

The other use of ‘flat’ is when imaging. You calibrate the image by using darks, bias and flats.

The darks are subtracted to remove any hot pixels.
    The bias is to remove any inherent faults in the CMOS/CCD chip used by the camera.
    The flats is to produce an even illumination over the field, to remove any vignetting and also any ‘dust bunnies’.

Tony

I'm Steve.

Hi Tony, time is 6.50 am, and looking southwest(ish) there is the crescent moon, and to the right and up a bit, at about 45 degrees to the moon there is one really bright star - what is it? Mrs. P has been wondering for some time, as have I
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Shaun.

I bought a Samyang 14mm f2.8 lens back in 2017 to use for my coastal photography but sold it a few months back to concentrate on my Nikon 20mm. I also bought at that same time a Samyang 85mm f1.4. That lens is quite simply stunning.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast