+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bel Canto CD-2 problem

I'm Matt.

Default Bel Canto CD-2 problem

I hoping someone - Mr C perhaps - can help.

Have owned a CD-2 for a couple of years and it's been working fine. This evening I popped a CD on - switched it on, it span as normal but then came to a sudden halt with a bit of a clunk and '- - - -' appeared and remains in the display window. Normally it shows that while it is spinning and then returns the number of tracks on the CD before coming to a gentle stop. I can't put it back into stand-by. If I removed the power lead and then replace it, it is in stand-by mode but when I power it up it shows the software version, then the four dashes come up but it doesn't spin at all.

This seems to be a transport issue i.e. it's not spinning at all. Any ideas on what the problem may be and, crucially, how much it is going to cost to put right?

Many thanks,

Matt

I'm Dominic.

The very first things I would do is crack the lid off and check the loading cycle is fully completed and the motor his actually spinning the disc. If it is then manually clean the laser lens and the guide rails as it seems that the TOC tracks are not being read, hence the 4 dashes in the display.

The loading mechanism has to close one or more switches to tell if the loading cycle is complete. A small ball of fluff will do that. Unless the switches are closed the motor will not fire up.

If the laser moves back towards the disc to read the inner TOC tracks and you can hear or see the laser moving up and down to focus, this tells you the laser is actually working. It should be cleaned with Isopropyl Alcohol as a matter or course while you have the lid off anyway.

Check the laser sled moves freely and smoothly, especially near the inner tracks of the disc, on the slider bars with the power off. Old grease should be removed with Isopropyl Alcohol and ensure there are no rings of collected fluff at each end of travel.
    CD player = Marantz CD6006
    DAC/pre = Rotel RC 1572
    Power amp = ADA PF201
    Speaks = Quadral Chromium Style 6

I'm Matt.

Many thanks for the advice

I'm Martin.

Perhaps better to use diluted isopropyl rather than neat for the laser
    Use neat for the guide rails but then you may need some silicone lube on the rails
    Lumley Heliosphere Audiomods 5
    Voyd Valdi AN Arm 1 V2 and Denon MC
    Audiomeca Talisman Highly Modded
    Audiomeca Kreatura &,SW1X DAC1
    Hovland HP200 MC
    Hovland Radia
    Ming Da 805 monos
    Magnum Dynalab Etude, RWA Cassabria + LCD 3
    Wilson Benesch Actors
    Cables by Cardas, Hovland G3 and Yter

I'm BigBobJoylove.

Quote Originally Posted by ovlov854 View Post
    Perhaps better to use diluted isopropyl rather than neat for the laser
    Definitely. Most laser lenses are acrylic now rather than glass. Be gentle on the lens.

Ben Duncan mains conditioner
    2022 MacBook Pro 14" M1 Pro 10/16/16/16
    Samsung QE75Q90T 75" QLED TV
    XMOS DSD Async USB to Coax converter
    RME Audio ADI-2 FS (AK4493) DAC
    Chord Clearway XLR interconnects
    Audioquest Crimson USB interconnect
    QED Quartz Reference optical interconnect
    Edifier S3000 Pro active speakers
    Atacama SE24 stands

I'm Geoff.

A lot of lenses are coated. Does this apply to laser lenses and is alcohol safe to use?
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Grant.

be inclined to just wipe more modern ones with a moist bit of soft cloth. older ones were glass and thus iso was ok
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Phil.

hope you get it sorted , if not Hubert at Loud and clear is the accreddited bel canto repair agent and extremely reasonable

http://loud-clear.co.uk/edinburgh/se...r-and-upgrade/
    ou might slip, you might slide, you might
    Stumble and fall by the road side
    But don't you ever let nobody drag your spirit down
    Remember you're walking up to heaven

Don't let nobody turn you around
    … Walk with the rich, walk with the poor
    Learn from everyone, that's what life is for
    And don't you let nobody drag your spirit down

Eric Bibb

I'm Richard.

Slightly damp cotton bud for cleaning lens, unlikely to be that though. Don’t forget a PSU rail failure could also be cause, but then you need to identify the laser type in your player and research the proper start up sequence for it. Then you’re more likely to identify if mechanical or electrical. A picture Of internals would probably help

I'm Matt.

Thanks for all your help chaps. I'm going to send it down to Tony at Coherent Systems so he can open it up and take a look. I will report back.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast