+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wilmslow Audio

I'm BigBobJoylove.

Hi David,

Thanks for the info mate. I would certainly be ensuring bracing was good on the way through the build, nice to hear that they sound good. I'd probably upgrade the crossover components where suitable.

Ben Duncan mains conditioner
    2022 MacBook Pro 14" M1 Pro 10/16/16/16
    Samsung QE75Q90T 75" QLED TV
    XMOS DSD Async USB to Coax converter
    RME Audio ADI-2 FS (AK4493) DAC
    Chord Clearway XLR interconnects
    Audioquest Crimson USB interconnect
    QED Quartz Reference optical interconnect
    Edifier S3000 Pro active speakers
    Atacama SE24 stands

I'm Martin.

Hi Rob
    I had and enjoyed a pair of WA Home Studio Monitors for many year on the end of SS and valve gear but with a bespoke cabinet and stand

https://theartofsound.net/forum/show...atching-stands

My only criticism was that when they went back for a complete crossover upgrade it took rather a long time...............
    Lumley Heliosphere Audiomods 5
    Voyd Valdi AN Arm 1 V2 and Denon MC
    Audiomeca Talisman Highly Modded
    Audiomeca Kreatura &,SW1X DAC1
    Hovland HP200 MC
    Hovland Radia
    Ming Da 805 monos
    Magnum Dynalab Etude, RWA Cassabria + LCD 3
    Wilson Benesch Actors
    Cables by Cardas, Hovland G3 and Yter

I'm Ian.

I'm wondering, from your original post, if you're open to the thought of other kit options, besides the Wilmslow Prestige? I have nothing against Wilmslow incidentally - it's just that there are other interesting options out there.

For example there are Troels Gravesen's designs. At the price of the Prestige you could build something like the ATS-4. (See here for the design and here for the kit.) No cabinets (or even flat-packs) are available, mind you.

Another kit that intrigues me, at a lower price level, is the Philharmonic BMR monitor designed by Dennis Murphy. There's some info about it here. It would mean buying a kit of drivers/crossover from the US, and building a cabinet from scratch.

If none of that appeals, or you've already settled on the Prestige please ignore this post.
    Last edited by irb; 14-09-2020 at 10:56.

I'm BigBobJoylove.

Wow, those are very nice. Unfortunately I simply don’t have the tools to build from scratch. They are jolly handsome though!

I'm Alan.

I also wanted to build a pair of prestige speakers so I went and demoed them, what I didnt realise is how big they are and that was a show stopper for me they were way to big for my room
    The one that interests me the most is the Encore and I enquired about them with Wilmslow but they say it can take up to 3 months to get the drivers ?

I am rebuilding the crossover on a pair of SM110s atm and it took them 3 weeks just to answer an email from me after repeated calls so nothing happens quickly at Wilmslow now
    I am still using the classique kit with the soft dome tweeter option and I love them

Alan
    Turntable - Garrard 401/Jelco 750L/Ortofon Kontrapunkt B, Pioneer PLC 590, Micro Sieki MA505 , Denon DL103R - DIY Paradise Phono stage - Reel 2 Reel Studer A810, Otari MX55,Tascam BR20, Revox A77, B77, PR99, TEAC X1000 & 3440, Digital HTPC / Young Dac - Preamp - DIY B4, 821, Power Amp's DIY Avondale NCC300 Mono Block, Speakers Wilmslow Kit Volt BM220.8 / Scanspeak D2905/9500

I'm Paul.

Default New Cross overs?

As an alternative I suggest you save the existing cross overs and build a new set using quality parts from HiFi Collective.
    I'm not suggesting this approach will be cheap but it will be a voyage of discovery which will hopefully deliever the sound you want.
    Out here on the perimeter there are no stars
    Out here we is stoned, immaculate
    The WASP - The Doors

I'm Paul.

Hi Rob

You can start off by first photographing your cross over to help identify the parts, next disconnect a signal path capacitor and dangle some crocodile wires so you can easily experiment with substituting the capacitor.
    Check out the capacitor you have disconnected and purchase a better quality one, you will be amazed at the difference you can get by just changing one component.

Regards
    Paul
    Out here on the perimeter there are no stars
    Out here we is stoned, immaculate
    The WASP - The Doors

I'm Pete.

Hi Rob

As you say "not that there’s anything really ‘wrong’ with my B&W 683s, they are spectacular given their price, but a little more involvement would be nice as they do seem rather ‘polite’" I am just wondering if it is worth your while to experiment with different cabling, both speakers and interconnects, to see if you can achieve a "better sound" without the expense of changing speakers.

I am not familiar with the B&W 683 so had a quick Google where I found these setup tips on What HiFi? - see https://www.whathifi.com/bw/683-s2/review

B&W has supplied plinths to fit the bottom of the speakers for health and safety reasons, in case they topple.
    However, we think the speakers sound better with the plinths off. Timing is tighter and fine detail is more apparent.
    We’d also recommend biwiring the speakers and standing them in generous space, with a little toeing in to solidify stereo imaging.

That leads me to suggest looking at alternative plinth material, maybe granite or slate, as well as cabling.

The Prestige speakers do look nice though.

Just some thoughts...

I'm BigBobJoylove.

Thanks for your replies. I've actually sold the 683s and replaced them with the (frankly marvellous) Revier Edingdales, which will be staying with me for many moons as they'll easily cater for vast front-end upgrades for years.

Would have been nice to do a build myself, but when I sat and thought about it, I barely have enough time to listen let alone build stuff.

The 683s worked well, but the Edingdales are in a different league altogether. I had the 683s off their plinths already and tried biwiring, but that made them worse in fact so I reverted to one run plus jumpers of the same pedigree. To be honest they were just outclassed by the front end and amplification and were far better suited to my old Arcam DAC and amp than the ruthless Leema / Bel Canto combination.

Ben Duncan mains conditioner
    2022 MacBook Pro 14" M1 Pro 10/16/16/16
    Samsung QE75Q90T 75" QLED TV
    XMOS DSD Async USB to Coax converter
    RME Audio ADI-2 FS (AK4493) DAC
    Chord Clearway XLR interconnects
    Audioquest Crimson USB interconnect
    QED Quartz Reference optical interconnect
    Edifier S3000 Pro active speakers
    Atacama SE24 stands

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12