+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rexton's Rebooted SC35C project

I'm Andrew.

Default Rexton's Rebooted SC35C project

A long time ago I started messing with the SC35C and actually had the thing up for sale. However, after a change of heart I have found all the bits, ordered a full new bits and hope to have some new adventures. Currently I have the Mexico (450pf capacitance) version fitted into a aluminium shell. These are currently coupled to a 15g magnesium head shell with 5N silver cartridge leads. I'm awaiting NOS Shure SC35C stylus, and a JICO SAS/B stylus. My phonostage has been optimised so that the SC35C "SEES" 450 pf per channel. This project will be further enhanced with experimentation using the Orsonic head shell. I'm hoping this project will produce a perosnel "Reference" MM cartridge, maybe even replacing my beloved M55E (which I will never ever sell)! Maybe some pictures later tomorrow when I get some time.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Andrew.

Well that's the EAR 834P clone setup for the SC35C with respects to cartridge loading. I did bugger all! It looks like the M55E (currently set up for this) and the SC35C like to "SEE" 450pf I'm running at about 460-470pf so I'm happy at that. Just need customs to pull a finger out....
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Andrew.

Here's a quick picture of how the SC35C looks like today with newly fitted 5N pure silver Furukawa.

Just waiting for the bloody stylii!!!!!
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm Charlie.

Have to say it looks more purposeful without the plastic. Like you, I'm also waiting for my NOS stylus to arrive but I do have a Mexican one which I am able to listen to in the mean-time. What will you do about the plastic around the stylus?

I'm Andrew.

Charlie, you do nothing mate. You just plug the stylus in and play vinyl.
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm Charlie.

Quote Originally Posted by REXTON View Post
    Charlie, you do nothing mate. You just plug the stylus in and play vinyl.
    I just mean that without the original plastic body the plastic around the stylus might look peculiar. Which aluminium body have you fitted?

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by Chas B View Post
    I just mean that without the original plastic body the plastic around the stylus might look peculiar. Which aluminium body have you fitted?
    Ah I see! It does look a little weird but perfectly functional, indeed, some even say its microphonic and it causes colouration. I went for the paradox pulse, it's easily found on scumbay.
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm Andrew.

Now spinning vinyl! Some pictures after the little is asleep.................
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm Andrew.

Its taken a lot just to get to this stage. The 301 had a partial rebuild. The Phoenix Engineering system got plumbed in. The tonearm still isn't quite setup but it spins and makes some nice noises. What's more I also have my Garrard 401 plumbed in with a Shure M55E and the very same Phoenix PSU so I can do some comparisons. My SC35C has the Jico NeoSAS/B stylus and at the moment it's dialled in at 1.4g markedly less than the 4g recommended for NOS shure stylus. All I can is that it's very promising and this setup (currently) is matching a £1500 SPU!
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm Robert.

Nice one Andy!
    My System:
    Amplification - Sansui AU-alpha 707 DR
    Turntable - Technics SP10 MK2-Technics EPA-250 Tonearm-Yannis Tome 423.5Plus tonearm cable-Eichmann KLEI Absolute Harmony plugs.
    Ortofon Cadenza Black moving coil cartridge-Fritz Gyger S re-tip. Panzerholz plinth.

CDP - Pioneer PD-91
    Speakers - Spendor D7 on Soundcare SuperSpikes
    QED Silver Spiral speaker cable-airloc banana plugs
    Mains - Ultra Pure silver plated un-switched socket-Missing link EPS 500 silver plated plugs-Hi-Fi Tuning gold plated silver ceramic 13 amp fuses

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast