+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Joined the SC35C club.

I'm Charlie.

Just a quick update. After messing about with additional headshell weight I settled on 5g so with the Jelco headshell at 12g I'm running around 17g total. So Marco's advice spot-on. I also tried some loading plugs and settled on 150pF ( which obviously might vary in other set-ups but sounds great in mine).
    Now I have to admit that initially I was feeling underwhelmed by the sound produced and started researching new carts. However, I'm not one for making snap purchases and it dawned on me some weeks ago that I was now enjoying music very much. I think the NOS stylus just needed running in for a while. I now hear balanced sound ( what I mean more specifically is a natural frequency range, no HF emphasis which I detest) , good detail, separation of instruments and very low surface noise ( in fact pretty much non-existent on good vinyl).

I'm Lee.

Sorry to jump on have you or anyone else (Marco) tried this with the N35X stylus

https://www.stereophile.com/content/...-3-shure-sc35c

Or tried upgrading the body to either a wood or aluminium paradox body?

Thanks

Lee
    It’s about the music
    70s Retro Yamaha YP800TT, CA1000Mk2, CT1010

I'm openingabottleofwine.

This looks like it could be of interest to SC35 users: https://www.superbestaudiofriends.or...-edition.6448/
    Barry

I'm Pavel.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    This looks like it could be of interest to SC35 users: https://www.superbestaudiofriends.or...-edition.6448/
    I have two of these cartridges, one in a Panzerholz body, no difference in sound with the stock one, at least to my ears. This cartridge is no Denon DL-103 and the body doesn't have a large effect on its sound. The only downside of the stock body is that it's easy to deform if you overtighten the screws.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

So best not to follow Linn's advice of tightening up the fixings until you strip the threads, then slacken off by a quarter turn!
    Barry

I'm Charlie.

Quote Originally Posted by Shovel_Knight View Post
    I have two of these cartridges, one in a Panzerholz body, no difference in sound with the stock one, at least to my ears. This cartridge is no Denon DL-103 and the body doesn't have a large effect on its sound. The only downside of the stock body is that it's easy to deform if you overtighten the screws.
    I have wondered about a re-body, problem is the blue plastic of the stylus assembly is rather large and looks quite gawky. Secondly, I'm in a good place at the moment and I'm quite content just listening to music
    There was a lot of interest in the Tonar Diabolic E cartridge recently, one mod was to remove the red paint from the cantilever. Has anyone tried that on the SC35c?

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by Chas B View Post
    I have wondered about a re-body, problem is the blue plastic of the stylus assembly is rather large and looks quite gawky. Secondly, I'm in a good place at the moment and I'm quite content just listening to music
    There was a lot of interest in the Tonar Diabolic E cartridge recently, one mod was to remove the red paint from the cantilever. Has anyone tried that on the SC35c?
    Leave things alone then if your happy!
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Charlie.

Quote Originally Posted by REXTON View Post
    Leave things alone then if your happy!
    Yes I will. But you know it's only a temporary state

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by Chas B View Post
    Yes I will. But you know it's only a temporary state
    Ha ha! Yes I know what you mean, I'm a chronic sufferer myself.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Mike.

My Sc35c set up, is this correct? I still have to fit a 3g weight on it which I've heard is needed.

20210331_190409 by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/145505522@N02/]

IMG_20210206_113853277 by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/145505522@N02/]

IMG_20210206_113919258 by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/145505522@N02/]
    IMG_20210206_113939002 by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/145505522@N02/]
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast