+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Joined the SC35C club.

I'm Charlie.

I listened to the SC35c in my stock Jelco750D. Promising performance but bass was soft and obviously not right.
    Now, not long ago I made a brass shim/weight to do a similar experiment with my DL103r on a FR64fx tonearm, this combination didn't benefit from the extra mass so I removed the shim. I've had to wait for some longer cart screws to arrive but at last I've been able to add the 8g brass shim to the Shure cart/Jelco headshell and also added the Jelco heavy c/weight. The bass has improved greatly as expected but more suprising is the detail that this simple conical stylus can dig out. Very nice, and I still have loading plugs to try but am not covinced that I need them.

I'm Steve.

Hi Marco,

My SC35C is nos white stylus lettering, but instructions says copyright 1989. The stylus is 0.0006in and under my magnifying glass looks identical to the eBay one. The cantilever reminds me of my Pickering styli, I call them mini RSJ’s, short cantilever with low compliance carts do it for my system very nicely. On the SL 150 for the last month I have had my 1978 Nos pPickering NP/AC with polished diamond stylus playing at 3 g on the old sme3009 detachable head shell. 10mv output, superb sound, brilliant dynamics, a lighter cart suits the Sme3009. Now on my SLD303, I have a 13g additional counterweight on the standard arm. Reason being that I play the Pickering U38 nude diamond spherical stylus. VTF 5g. The cart weighs 14 g! Stereo separation 35 db too. Pain to mount in the cartridge and gives a dull sound on the sme3009 but opens up nicely on the Sld 303 arm.

Thanks to your great enthusiasm and information here, I will now mount the Shure cart in my Lo D headshell, combined wight with cart and screws = 17 g. I will try around 4.5 VTf, but the SLD303 max anti skate is 3. I use the standard Ortofon protractor, 52 mm overhang. I always adjust to taste anyway. This is an Art, right!

Cheers, Steve

I'm Steve.

...ok just reread the 17 g HEADSHELL recommendation, so for now gonna have to try a coin and newplast on top of the Lo D which is only 10 g. As always I will give the stylus time to break in before listening seriously.

I'm Charlie.

I have 20g headshell plus the fixings and cartridge itself, sounds good to me but how much is too much? On Marco's recommendation I want to experiment with loading plugs in the not-too-distant future. 180pF I think?

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Hi Charlie,

Quote Originally Posted by Chas B View Post
    I listened to the SC35c in my stock Jelco750D. Promising performance but bass was soft and obviously not right.
    Now, not long ago I made a brass shim/weight to do a similar experiment with my DL103r on a FR64fx tonearm, this combination didn't benefit from the extra mass so I removed the shim. I've had to wait for some longer cart screws to arrive but at last I've been able to add the 8g brass shim to the Shure cart/Jelco headshell and also added the Jelco heavy c/weight. The bass has improved greatly as expected but more suprising is the detail that this simple conical stylus can dig out. Very nice, and I still have loading plugs to try but am not covinced that I need them.
    Indeed, and exactly as I've found, too. Are you using a NOS Shure stylus? Those are in a different league from any modern equivalents, as they use a narrower gauge and more refined tip, which is what gives it the detail you're hearing.

Trust me, you've still got more to come from experimenting with loading. I was also sceptical as to whether or not it was necessary, but when you find the TRUE sweet spot, you'll know, and then everything just clicks into place!

I'm not surprised that the shim was a retrograde step with the 103 on your FR64, as the arm would've presented more than enough effective mass in stock form, without the need for the shim. The Jelco is different, as it's not as high-mass as the FR. With the NOS conical stylus on the SC35C, you've aiming for around 17g on the headshell. I think the Jelco headshell is around 12g, so you're talking about adding another 5g.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Hi Steve,

Quote Originally Posted by Teleton View Post
    My SC35C is nos white stylus lettering, but instructions says copyright 1989. The stylus is 0.0006in and under my magnifying glass looks identical to the eBay one. The cantilever reminds me of my Pickering styli, I call them mini RSJ’s, short cantilever with low compliance carts do it for my system very nicely. On the SL 150 for the last month I have had my 1978 Nos pPickering NP/AC with polished diamond stylus playing at 3 g on the old sme3009 detachable head shell. 10mv output, superb sound, brilliant dynamics, a lighter cart suits the Sme3009. Now on my SLD303, I have a 13g additional counterweight on the standard arm. Reason being that I play the Pickering U38 nude diamond spherical stylus. VTF 5g. The cart weighs 14 g! Stereo separation 35 db too. Pain to mount in the cartridge and gives a dull sound on the sme3009 but opens up nicely on the Sld 303 arm.

Thanks to your great enthusiasm and information here, I will now mount the Shure cart in my Lo D headshell, combined wight with cart and screws = 17 g. I will try around 4.5 VTf, but the SLD303 max anti skate is 3. I use the standard Ortofon protractor, 52 mm overhang. I always adjust to taste anyway. This is an Art, right!
    Interesting stuff, and I like the sound of that Pickering! Sounds similar to the sonic signature of an original gold-bodied Stanton 500AL, which really boogied! No problem, 17g is what you're looking for with 4.5g VTF. Enjoy and let us know how you get on

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Chas B View Post
    I have 20g headshell plus the fixings and cartridge itself, sounds good to me but how much is too much? On Marco's recommendation I want to experiment with loading plugs in the not-too-distant future. 180pF I think?
    I would, Charlie. Yes probably something around that figure. Just suck it and see. 20g is probably too much on the headhell. though. I'd say 18g tops, then afterwards you're likely to be over-egging the pudding.

This is probably the perfect headshell onto which to mount an SC35C, without the need for any shims: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Audio-tec....c100005.m1851

You may also be able to find one in the UK

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Steve.

Hi Marco,
    At the same time you posted above I was trying a NOS Stanton D5107L (500AL, disco use) 1918 k, in place of the Black Chicken stylus, on the U38.
    Haha it looked ridiculous and fragile (as unlike Shure, the Stanton, Pickering styli are a round pipe), so I was hesitant to try more than about20 seconds on the record.

Anyway...wide grin time..it rocks..beefy sound and very nice to know I’ll have styli for ever given that Stanton/ Pickering are interchangeable (+artistic use of craft knife and something sticky to get a good plastic stylus wrap fit).

The chicken head is better as it is nude of course. A similar sound to the SC35C too (so far), I think the U38 is superb on the right records, the 35 db separation is a bonus, and it beats the best of my other carts in front to back soundstage, e.g. mp50. I’m currently listening to Portishead Portishead and it’s awesome. A nod to the Techi SLD303 auto here, it’s specs (78 sn and 0.025 wow flutter), are better than the Sld 150, just saying. Also there is a metal plate in the chassis attached to the bearing which connects also to the tonearm base, maybe giving the bearing good bracing and some resonance matching with the tonearm, needless to say it is also damped now with Newplast clay.

Btw, your posts on purchasing the capacitance measuring kit from the states, should get great credit from any audiophile. Capacitance matching as per shure, Pickering etc manufacturers recommendation is down to trial and error, for most peeps (even if they are aware). But it’s surely essential. It’s on my shopping list.

Hey this is fun. Just a bit of background here...

20 years back I bought the Meridian 508 20 bit, and partnered with a Chord Dac 64 it was fabulous (same DPA stuff as in my signature). The DPA and Opera Callas Gold 2, and especially black 16 cable are a match made in hi fi heaven too. So the cd and Dac alone was £3500 worth of kit back in 2001 ish...but I knew something was missing. 5 ago years For a laugh I bought the SLD303 and found a Nos Technics 207ED, I already had the Schitt mani and Rega 1 with Carbon cart (bfday pressie) played through a ScittMani - I found this a bit sterile, like I found CD. However when I hooked up the SLD303 and 207 ED, I knew instantly what I had been missing. The SLD303 and cart was £150, Schmitt mani £120. A very very good combo, the Sl150 with Nagaoka MP50 is better, but not always, and only on some records.

Sorry for the digression...
    So still early days in my vinyl renaissance!

I'm Steve.

Is this a SC35C on a broadcast turntable?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EMT-948-B...wAAOSwwdFfVinH

...and a Goldring On a BBC Garrard 301

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Very-Rare...MAAOSwKwhcTX0S

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Teleton View Post
    Is this a SC35C on a broadcast turntable?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EMT-948-B...wAAOSwwdFfVinH
    [/QUOTE]

Yes it is. The Shure SC35C is/was a popular cartridge for broadcast use as it can withstand rough handling and a certain amount of back cuing. yet still has a more than acceptable SQ. I use an EMT TT and when I bought a spare EMT-G headshell, it came with a Shure SC35C body.

...and a Goldring On a BBC Garrard 301

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Very-Rare...MAAOSwKwhcTX0S

That cartrige looks to be a Goldring G 800 - another reasonably priced cartridge favoured by the BBC.
    Barry

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast