+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello from Geoff in Bristol

I'm Geoffrey.

Default Hello from Geoff in Bristol

After browsing posts on the forum for a little while, I have now registered.

I am a very keen music listener - classical mainly, and, being a choral singer, music in this vein is of interest. I am currently enjoing listening to 'The Proms'.

I have two 'listening areas':

Downstairs in the lounge - Denon RCD-DM41DAB, Dali Zensor speakers plus Arcam rDac that is used with my laptop. My music collection (from CDs) is stored on a Synology NAS, and I listen to this using JRiver Media Centre Software.

Upstairs in my study - Rotel 950BZ tuner with Teac AH-500 amp and Dali Spektor speakers. I use my desktop computer and Cyrus Soundkey dac to link this with my NAS, and, again use JRiver.

The Rotel tuner is a recent acquisition (£40 on eBAY), and a purchase that I am really pleased with. I do find that a live concert broadcast on R3 provides an excellent listening experience, with a great soundstage. I use a Magnum Dynalab ST-2 aerial, indoors. I know that this aerial has had mixed 'reviews', but, for me (with probably quite a strong FM signal in Bristol), it works well - 5 bars on the tuner. One point though is that if I want really clean audio from the tuner that I need to switch off my computer, otherwise the RFI is picked up by the aerial.

Sorry, I seem to have 'gone on a bit', and I think that I should stop know. I know that I have given a lot of equipment information, but it's the music, and the listening that's important for me.

Regards,
    Geoff

I'm Geoff.

Hi Geoff. Welcome to AOS from another Geoff .

There's a lot going on here, so take a look around and join in any chat that interests you.

Yes, Rotel tuners don't really get a lot of mentions, but they always seem good. I have one myself.

Enjoy the forum,
    Geoff.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Geoffrey.

Thank you for the welcome.

Yes, I've been really pleased with the 950BX. Do you have the same model, or have you managed to find a 990BX (or an RHT-10)? - reportedly better.

Regards,
    Geoff

I'm Geoff.

No, just an RT-830AL I picked up to fill a gap in the rack . Sounds good though, not that it really gets used.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Rob.

I am surprised given your speaker choices that your user name is not Salavador Yeah.....sorry about my dreadful attempt at humour....there are probably tons more buried attempts if you dig around.

I used to be a chorister with a world renowned choir back in the mists of time....but my poison of choice is now Jazztronica.....usually from chaps in those very cold countries.

Do you have any plans to upgrade any of your kit?
    Buy Bose...And get your parking validated!.

https://youtu.be/ZCBe7-6rw4M

No Highs...No Lows....It Must Be Bose!

I'm Geoffrey.

Hi Puffin(!!),

I realise that my systems are not HI-fi, but reasonably middle-fi, and I'm quite happy with the quality of the sound. Admittedly, I've not heard higher quality equipment, but I couldn't afford it anyway...

However, I'm always happy to receive suggestions. Which of items would you think is ripe for upgrade?

Geoff

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoffrey Stevens View Post
    I realise that my systems are not HI-fi, but reasonably middle-fi, and I'm quite happy with the quality of the sound. Admittedly, I've not heard higher quality equipment, but I couldn't afford it anyway...

Geoff
    I wouldn't worry about that. It's all subjective anyway and every system has a valid position. Many of us here use modest gear and Hi-Fi snobbery is frowned upon. I no longer run any 'posh' equipment myself. It's about enjoyment.

I'm Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoffrey Stevens View Post
    Hi Puffin(!!),

However, I'm always happy to receive suggestions. Which of items would you think is ripe for upgrade?

Geoff
    Geoff, most of my stuff is a mixture of what some may call Crapfi (lots of DIY) and some more unusual/esoteric bits which to me convey a very coherent whole.

Upgrades? If it ain't broke....don't fix it.
    Buy Bose...And get your parking validated!.

https://youtu.be/ZCBe7-6rw4M

No Highs...No Lows....It Must Be Bose!

I'm Geoffrey.

Both Geoff and Puffin,

Good to hear that Hi-Fi snobberyis not a 'problem' here. I would agree that the enjoyment of the music is the main thing - and how we need that enjoyment at times like these. I will probably replace equipment, as and when, but at the moment, I'm quite happy with what I've got. Puffin, I must admit that I don't recognise much of your 'gear'. DIY is something that I will look at. My first stereo system (built in the early 1970s) was home contstructed from a kit and was used with Sinclair speakers (those square ones) - in fact the kit may have been Sinclair as well. This was my first experience of stereo, and when I managed to link it to a Dansette record player, I was blown away by the stereo effect.

I'm Josie.

Welcome to AOS, Geoffrey.

Enjoy!
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com
    - Audio Equipment Reviews
    Facebook

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast