+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hello from Geoff in Bristol

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Welcome to AoS Geoffrey.

Yes we frown upon 'hi fi snobbery', or any form of 'willy waving' here. It's all about getting the maximum enjoyment out of the gear you own.

I agree the BBC do a superb job in relaying the Proms. In my youth I used to attend the Proms every year, but had to be satisfied with the cheaper seats with their less than ideal acoustics. But Radio 3 provides a perfect balance, placing you in the best seats; even if you do loose out on the "I am there" experience.

Regarding the RFI from your laptop, are you not able to move the tuner antenna further away from the computer? It also sounds (sorry for the pun) as if your laptop does not comply with the European CE regulations on EMC/EMI.

Enjoy the Forum
    Barry
    Barry

I'm Geoffrey.

Thanks for the welcome Barry.

I have really appreciated the Proms this year (particularly the later live concerts), and it made me realise that Radio 3 on FM from a live concert is a pretty good stereo experience.

The RFI is from my desktop (or more accurately, the tower under my desk). The RFI manifests itself as background 'mush' - not that intrusive, but you certainly notice the clarity improvement when the computer is switched off.

Regards,
    Geoff

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Are you not able to move the antenna further away from the 'tower?

Regards
    Barry (also a 'Bristolian')
    Barry

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Hi Geoff. Welcome to AOS from another Geoff .

There's a lot going on here, so take a look around and join in any chat that interests you.

Yes, Rotel tuners don't really get a lot of mentions, but they always seem good. I have one myself.

Enjoy the forum,
    Geoff.
    Decades ago I bought new the cheapest Rotel tuner, the RT222, seemed to perform at least as well as my Quad FM3.
    Spendorman

I'm Adrian.

Welcome Geoff, there are quite a few AoSer's in Bristol. I recently re-discovered FM broadcasts having got a Hitachi tuner and enjoy it over DAB, although some say there is no difference.

Good classical listening thread on here.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Geoffrey.

Welcome Geoff, there are quite a few AoSer's in Bristol. I recently re-discovered FM broadcasts having got a Hitachi tuner and enjoy it over DAB, although some say there is no difference.

Good classical listening thread on here.

Thanks for the Welcome.

DAB certainly gives you a great choice of channels, but, to my ears, FM is far superior. When you consider that DAB is MP2 (ish) - not even MP3, then it is not surprising that it doesn't produce great sound. DAB+ would be an improvement.

Geoff

I'm Geoffrey.

Are you not able to move the antenna further away from the 'tower?

Regards
    Barry (also a 'Bristolian')

The antenna is in the 'best' position for reception, and my study is not that big anyway, so moving it is not really an option. The interference is minimal when listening casually, and I switch the PC off if I sit down to 'serious listening' - perhaps with a glass of wine (to relate to your 'strap line')! An outside antenna would probably be better, but my set up works well for me at the moment.

Regards,
    Geoff

I'm Alex.

A likely culprit in the Tower PC for creating excessive RFI, is the power supply, might be worth fitting a new/ better one.
    Spendorman

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12