+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Lamb Lies Down

I'm Steve.

Everyone has a story or a preference with Genesis early or later. With regards to "The Lamb" i would say it's in there with the best Prog albums ever recorded. Lyrically and musically stretching the envelope. A close friend of mine was a singer in one of the most popular Genesis tribute band in the world and has a lot of insider knowledge due to meeting and playing with some of their past members. I can confirm that in addition to the quote mentioned in the OP that there are numerous other lyrical references on the album to Gabriel's unrest within the band at that time. I can't think which ones they are off the top of my head as it's been some time since myself and friend chatted about them.
    There are some great FB Genesis groups worth seeking out which i believe have ex Genesis roadies and associates as members. They share anecdotes and rare pictures. Well worth seeking out chaps.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/621442347936242

https://www.facebook.com/groups/347574972407269
    Last edited by Floyddroid; 10-02-2021 at 07:54.

I'm Shaun.

I was led to believe that Gabriel was hugely pissed off during the making of 'The Lamb' and actually left the band twice in that time period believing that music should not be made by a 'machine' consisting of a committee of musicians. Strangely, I also heard that that was Steve Hackett's reason for leaving also. Having had total freedom over the making of 'Acolyte' he didn't see the need to give up that freedom to a 'committee' of musicians who were now telling him what he could and couldn't do. It sounds like the classic 'musical differences' excuse for splitting up a band.

As has been said, Genesis fans all have their favourite albums and tracks. For what it is worth, my favourite track will always be 'After the Ordeal' and my favourite album always hovers around 'A Trick of the Tail'. OK, I love Nursery Cryme and Foxtrot but I love the accessibility of 'Trick' and going back 40 years my favourite track would've been 'Hogweed' but 40 years is a long time and people change along with their preferences.

Whatever the story of Genesis and it is a long story, mine started in 1974 when I first heard 'Selling England by the Pound'. From that moment onwards I knew I would never listen to music in the same way again.

I'm Steve.

I am on the same page as you sir. In addition i often think that After The Ordeal is a much under appreciated track. It is good to see Hackett resurrecting it of late.

I'm Shaun.

Indeed Dr Droid, there is some wonderful video footage of his more recent gigs on YouTube that any Prog fanatic should not miss. Once again, for what it is worth, my personal opinion is that 'After the Ordeal' is one of their finest tracks along with 'For Absent Friends'. The detail is as always in the smaller things in life.

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Haselsh1 View Post
    Indeed Dr Droid, there is some wonderful video footage of his more recent gigs on YouTube that any Prog fanatic should not miss. Once again, for what it is worth, my personal opinion is that 'After the Ordeal' is one of their finest tracks along with 'For Absent Friends'. The detail is as always in the smaller things in life.
    I concur.

I'm Josie.

Carpet crawlers... Love that track.

Sent from my 9001X using Tapatalk
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com

Facebook

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123