+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Lamb Lies Down

I'm Shaun.

Default The Lamb Lies Down

A day or so back I got to listen to the entire CD The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway on my latest sound system. I was struck by this lyric:

"Between the freedom I had in the rat-race
    Or to stay forever in this forsaken place"

I then started wondering if this was another Peter Gabriel reference to his time with Genesis as this was around the time he had already left to pursue a film career that completely stalled before leaving permanently. We all know about his "Walked right out of the machine" reference in Solsbury Hill pointing at Genesis as a music making machine but I hadn't really noted the Lamb lyric before.

Using my latest sound system this album sounds the best I have ever heard it with any previous system. The power amp does need a 60 minute warm up though. I also have a few early to mid albums on SACD as well which sound particularly good, my main choice being A Trick Of The Tail. The depth and definition of the bass I have now I am really pleased with.

I first got into the music of Genesis around 73/74 and then turned away from them around 77 but still have a fondness for their early/mid stuff. I absolutely love the bass playing and guitar work.

I'm Rob.

I recently bought the double LP of The Lamb Lies Down. It brought back a lot of memories of listening to it in my youth. I'm close to putting it to the top of my favourite Genesis albums, and I think it is the lyrics. A great album!
    Rob.
    Powered by crossed fingers and clenched buttocks

I'm Shaun.

Quote Originally Posted by ReggieB View Post
    I recently bought the double LP of The Lamb Lies Down. It brought back a lot of memories of listening to it in my youth. I'm close to putting it to the top of my favourite Genesis albums, and I think it is the lyrics. A great album!
    Rob, have to agree with you. I remember hearing it way back in the 70's around the time it came out but at first thought it was maybe a little 'difficult' to get on with. Now though, decades later, it has changed my opinion considerably.

I'm Shaun.

Quote Originally Posted by Haselsh1 View Post
    We all know about his "Walked right out of the machine" reference in Solsbury Hill pointing at Genesis as a music making machine but I hadn't really noted the Lamb lyric before.
    Woah..! Misquote..! The correct word is 'machinery'.

I'm Adrian.

Yes it is a great album, I listed again to it yesterday, I always like it, but then I am a prog-freak
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Martin.

I was never able to get into early Genesis even though I've got nothing against prog in general. I mean I like early Marillion which is pretty much the same thing.

Post-Gabriel Genesis I really can't handle at all.

I remember a mate getting 'Invisible Touch' when it came out. I reckon it's still one of the worst albums I ever heard. Can't be doing with Collin's voice, mainly, although he's a good drummer and producer.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Rob.

I think Genesis around the time of Gabriel leaving was at it's best. My favourite albums of theirs are Wind and the Wuthering, Lamb Lies Down, and Then there were Three. After that I think they became less interesting.

Also my favourite Gabriel album is his first. Solsbury Hill is just splendid. I like what he's done since, and especially his support of world music. But if I were only to have one album of his, it would be his first.

It was a good time for some splendid music.
    Rob.