+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Any art experts on the forum?

I'm sorted.

Default Any art experts on the forum?

I have 5 watercolours signed by ‘Treyer Evans’ who I’ve googled and he appears to be a known illustrator/artist.

I’ve made enquiries and am waiting for answers but wondered if anyone on the forum may be able to give me an unbiased view of their possible value?

Dad found them in a bin about 50 years ago!

I'm Geoff.

I'm betting they were painted in the 20th century. The style, materials and writing don't look 17th century.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm sorted.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    I'm betting they were painted in the 20th century. The style, materials and writing don't look 17th century.
    The date relates to the subject matter 'Samuel Pepys at sea', I'm wondering if they were illustrations intended to be used in a book?

Evans lived from 1889 to 1958 and did some illustrating for Enid Blyton's books.

I'm Grant.

seem to vary in the hundreds
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Geoff.

They look like the kind of framed pictures you used to see hanging on the wall in county pubs and inns. Still do sometimes.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Grant.

yup he died in 1958 i think, so will be early to mid 20th c
    Regards,

FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm sorted.

Always assuming they're genuine of course? But they seem well executed notwithstanding the subject matter & suitably aged. I just wonder what they were doing in a bin in the Albert docks? (where Dad worked).

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy S View Post
    I'm wondering if they were illustrations intended to be used in a book?

That was my first thought. Although what I know about art could be written on a postage stamp.

I like the one with the rowboat.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm sorted.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post

I like the one with the rowboat.
    Funnily enough that's the one I've had framed on the wall for a number of years.

I'm Grant.

look to be unfinished testers.. still should have a value.. quite like them all
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast