+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: should children be returning to full time education in a pandemic?

I'm Geoff.

A week is a long time in pandemics and politics. In fact, a mere 6 days after my last post and unfortunately my fears are being realised.

In England R0 has begun to climb again, and this is before school and university students have returned to face to face teaching. It is possible that R0 might be as high as 1.2 already.

In the USA, Bob Woodward's latest book provides recorded statements from Trump in early February that he knew that Covid 19 could be transmitted by aerosol particles, that it had a much higher death rate than influenza, and that it did infect children as well as adults. In fact, Trump went on to say that he purposefully played down the severity of the pandemic.

The projections for further USA and UK deaths in the coming months are depressing.
    Last edited by Sherwood; 11-09-2020 at 22:46. Reason: typo

I'm Jeremy.

It's not a higher death rate than influenza per the numbers now, it's just a much higher infection rate. And children get it, sure, but they don't transmit it and they don't have symptoms.

If you play it down to keep people calm you did bad... If you don't then people say you insight fear. Can't win that one.

I'm Gary.

My boys 26, but if he were still at school I'd say NO.
    He stays at Home.

Wish I had the confidence to drop him off, but do YOU trust what our Government is saying?
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Folsom View Post
    It's not a higher death rate than influenza per the numbers now, it's just a much higher infection rate. And children get it, sure, but they don't transmit it and they don't have symptoms.

If you play it down to keep people calm you did bad... If you don't then people say you insight fear. Can't win that one.
    This is incorrect. The case fatality rate is much higher. Also, children do transmit it and even if they do not suffer the same levels of morbidity and mortality than adults they are not immune to its adverse effects. Evidence suggests they may have a much higher viral load than adults. Just wait to see how infectious children and young adults can be when they go back to their classes!

If you knew anything about public health the first rule is to be honest with the public. Make clear what the risks are and what steps the public and government can take to address the problem. If Trump is so concerned with ensuring calm and avoiding fear, why is almost every rally full of how the USA will be doomed if Biden wins?

I'm guy.

You need to have worked in a school/taught to understand the risk to teachers:

Without shift working/reduced timetables there will be classes of 30+ pupils in state secondary schools (in rooms where it will be impossible to have "social distancing")

Corridors are generally narrow - staggered lesson timings will help to reduce contact, but how long will virus/droplets persist in narrow and poorly ventilated walkways?

Teenagers "live forever", very few will give a shit about wearing masks let alone washing hands (number of times that I have told pupils to wash the snot off their hands after they have caught a sneeze, only to be looked at as if I were mad as they wiped the snot on to their clothes/pencil case/bench).

Large numbers of pupils used to congregate in the toilets while they ate their sandwiches - good luck with policing that one, unless you want to be accused of being a "paedo" (pupil speak)

The list could just go on, thank goodness that I took early retirement

Interesting that US has started to notice a rise in the number of deaths of teachers since starting back at the start of August. Young people can have the virus (they may not suffer as badly from infection) the virus does not "decide" that a young person is not a suitable surface/host to infect.
    LP12, Ittok (black), DV10X5, NVA Phono 2 (twin supply), NVAP50, Art Audio Quintet 15w power amp, NVA LS5 cable, Rega Ela mk1's.
    Sony CDP XB930.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910