+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Do speaker/interconnect cables improve soundstage?

I'm Martin.

I had clearer audio 6 way mains block which has ferrite on the incoming mains lead and some surge and spike protection. I replaced it with an isotek sigmas some time ago and I almost moved it on.

Since Covid I’ve been working from home in the office and work bought me an extra monitor. I needed to plug it in and previously was running a 4 gang extension. So I put the 6 way in the office and FMBackwards stereo in the other room but on the same ring sounded better.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

One place I hadn't fitted ferrites was on the tails from the electric meter into the distribution box, and it was an itch that had to be scratched.
    Out came calipers to measure the overall diameter of the tails - and I then ordered some ferrites in various sizes from Amazon.

They were delivered this afternoon, and a couple of 13mm internal aperture (the tails are quite thick) ones fitted almost immediately.
    There is a small improvement in sound quality, and I'm very pleased about it.
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm Gary.

Interesting...

be doing the same I think, be ordering a bunch of ‘em.
    Any disadvantage to “overdoing” them Chris?
    Is there such a thing?

ta.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

Experiment with placement - it's possible to put them in places where they have a negative effect
    I tend to stick to putting them as close to the potential RFI source as is practical.
    Chris

I'm Gary.

AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Jerry.

Following on from Chris's (and others) comments, I spend about £15 on Cat 6 UTP cable and 10 large ferrite chokes, mostly now fitted. I had already installed loads of smaller ones.
    Very surprised about the result and it took some time to assimilate in my old brain. The initial impression was that I had lost the ambience in the recording, by that I mean the echo quality-well, you know what I mean. This had been present in most music, from stored digital or high quality internet radio, but was mostly absent now.
    I realised though that the quality of the reproduction was better in other respects- vocals had more presence, there was a crispness to the sound and a better sense of where instruments were positioned including depth.
    So the ambience that I had enjoyed for years is, by enlarge, not supposed to be there? At the moment, apart from feeling slightly stupid, I think that I have gained from the accuracy of reproduction but lost an old friend in the artifical ambience.
    Jerry
    Hifi: IPL transmission line floorstanding speakers, Squeezebox Touch, Denafrips Ares 11 DAC, DCB1 Pre-amplifier, Croft Series 7 power amp.
    Custom Hifi cables HA10SE headphone amplifier and Hifiman HE-400 headphones.
    AV system: LG 55B7, Denon AVR -x2300w receiver, Quad 12L (front) 11c Centre and 11L rear . Velodyne DD15 subwoofer.

Interesting, Jerry!

My own thoughts are that the harmonically enhanced rendition (ie pre treatment) is less coherent, and there's a whole level of detail being masked to some degree.
    Everything I play just sounds better with all the mains borne RFI from just about everything else electrical in the house restricted to where it's created
    Things just hang together better, tonally, harmonically, and rhythmically.

That's what I hear with my setup.
    Chris

I'm Jerry.

Yes, I agree with you now Chris but it took me a while to accept it. I have a few switch mode power supplies that need to be replaced with linear ones. I will see what difference that makes.
    Jerry
    Hifi: IPL transmission line floorstanding speakers, Squeezebox Touch, Denafrips Ares 11 DAC, DCB1 Pre-amplifier, Croft Series 7 power amp.
    Custom Hifi cables HA10SE headphone amplifier and Hifiman HE-400 headphones.
    AV system: LG 55B7, Denon AVR -x2300w receiver, Quad 12L (front) 11c Centre and 11L rear . Velodyne DD15 subwoofer.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratmangler View Post
    Experiment with placement - it's possible to put them in places where they have a negative effect
    I tend to stick to putting them as close to the potential RFI source as is practical.
    On mains cables, it is best to place ferrite rings near the mains plug. With SMPS it is better to put them near the supply connector where it joins the item being powered.
    Barry

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    On mains cables, it is best to place ferrite rings near the mains plug. With SMPS it is better to put them near the supply connector where it joins the item being powered.
    In other words, putting them as close to the potential RFI source as is practical
    Chris

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567