+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Do speaker/interconnect cables improve soundstage?

I'm Jerry.

I guess the reason I brought this up is that I have yet to experience the effect that some have described of the soundstage extending beyond the speakers. I get a great central image and can get a reasonable sense of depth but its all confined within the speakers.
    Maybe try changing the cables to PCOCC but dont want to get my fingers burnt again after trying those paper covered ones from hifi collective.......
    Jerry
    Hifi: IPL transmission line floorstanding speakers, Squeezebox Touch, Denafrips Ares 11 DAC, DCB1 Pre-amplifier, Croft Series 7 power amp.
    Custom Hifi cables HA10SE headphone amplifier and Hifiman HE-400 headphones.
    AV system: LG 55B7, Denon AVR -x2300w receiver, Quad 12L (front) 11c Centre and 11L rear . Velodyne DD15 subwoofer.

I'm Geoff.

Have you tried other speakers Jerry? Maybe there are more revealing options.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Have you tried other speakers Jerry? Maybe there are more revealing options.
    Will be dependant on the design of the speaker, no question about it, but also their positioning. The more you can get the speakers well away from all room boundaries, especially the wall behind them, the more they will 'disappear'.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Ray.

Quote Originally Posted by Covenant View Post
    I guess the reason I brought this up is that I have yet to experience the effect that some have described of the soundstage extending beyond the speakers. I get a great central image and can get a reasonable sense of depth but its all confined within the speakers.
    Maybe try changing the cables to PCOCC but dont want to get my fingers burnt again after trying those paper covered ones from hifi collective.......
    I did it depends on what music you play, on my system some is well outside the speakers, speaker positioning and room may well affect the sound stage. Try playing Amused to death by Roger Waters, on the first track about 15 seconds in there is a dog barking, it should be over your right shoulder, if it's within your speakers then there is something wrong with your set up. How far apart are your speakers?
    Last edited by StingRay; 05-09-2020 at 11:42.

I'm Shaun.

Back in 2015 I bought a set of Atlas Equator interconnects to replace some VdH ones that I had been using. A years or so later I came into some money and bought a set of Atlas Hyper interconnects (two pairs) and was immediately blown away by the massive sound stage I was now experiencing. I still use the Hyper cables, the best I have ever had. Using these cables the sound always spreads way outside the cabinets of the speakers along the side walls of the room and along the floor.
    Last edited by Haselsh1; 05-09-2020 at 09:55. Reason: Addition.

I'm Jerry.

I really like my speakers and wont be changing them any time soon. They are about 1.8 metres apart with me about the same distance and they are toe'd in. they sit about 900mm from the side walls and about 600mm from the back wall.
    Amused to Death is up there with my 10 fave albums so I will play that tonight.
    The Atlas cables sound interesting-might look out for them.
    Jerry
    Hifi: IPL transmission line floorstanding speakers, Squeezebox Touch, Denafrips Ares 11 DAC, DCB1 Pre-amplifier, Croft Series 7 power amp.
    AV system: LG 55B7, Denon AVR -x2300w receiver, Quad 12L (front) 11c Centre and 11L rear . Velodyne DD15 subwoofer.

I'm Shaun.

The Atlas cables sound interesting-might look out for them.
    Jerry, the ones I have used for a number of years are Atlas Hyper Asymmetrical interconnects.

I'm Jerry.

Quote Originally Posted by StingRay View Post
    I did it depends on what music you play, on my system some is well outside the speakers, speaker positioning and room may well affect the sound stage. Try playing Amused to death by Roger Waters, on the first track about 15 seconds in there is a dog barking, it should be over your right shoulder, if it's within your speakers then there is something wrong with your set up. How far apart are your speakers?
    Played The Ballad of Bill Hubbard about 6 times now and the barking dog remains firmly in front, I have reduced the toeing in. I am sitting with my back to a chimney breast that is in the middle of the room though. It may be the odd room proportions prevent much sound from the rear/behind me. I dont think there is anything wrong with the set up but any suggestions appreciated.
    Jerry

I'm Martin.

Try a conventional recording with a large soundstage. Anything by Isaac Hayes would do.

Amused to Death is in Q Sound so not typical stereo recording. The effects of things being behind you will rely on reflected sound so possibly that chimney breast is the problem there.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Ray.

Played The Ballad of Bill Hubbard about 6 times now and the barking dog remains firmly in front, I have reduced the toeing in. I am sitting with my back to a chimney breast that is in the middle of the room though. It may be the odd room proportions prevent much sound from the rear/behind me. I dont think there is anything wrong with the set up but any suggestions appreciated.
    Thats strange. It is not behind you, on mine it's alongside you but sounds far away, when I first heard it I could not believe, how it could be but I agree it's not a typical recording. I don't think toeing-in helps the soundstage, you could could try straight ahead. Certainly room is a factor, mine is not great.

How does mono sound on your system?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast