+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Do speaker/interconnect cables improve soundstage?

I'm Jerry.

Default Do speaker/interconnect cables improve soundstage?

Better cables bring out the best in your kit but I dont really get how they can improve the soundstage as this (I think) is dictated by your equipment and room interaction. Do you agree?
    Jerry
    Hifi: IPL transmission line floorstanding speakers, Squeezebox Touch, Denafrips Ares 11 DAC, DCB1 Pre-amplifier, Croft Series 7 power amp.
    Custom Hifi cables HA10SE headphone amplifier and Hifiman HE-400 headphones.
    AV system: LG 55B7, Denon AVR -x2300w receiver, Quad 12L (front) 11c Centre and 11L rear . Velodyne DD15 subwoofer.

I'm Alan.

Vehemently not agree.
    Although you have got ultimate constraints of the equipment performance and the limits imposed by the room, with a suitably transparent system it can be very surprising just what improvements to image width/depth and ultimate clarity can be achieved with speaker cables particularly.

Unfortunately using better cables usually involves more expense, but IMO is worth it.
    I recommend PCOCC based cables.

I'm Grant.

ive heard improved soundstage with different cables, but it may be an interaction between cable and equipment causing it, and may well not happen with cable and other gear.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    ive heard improved soundstage with different cables, but it may be an interaction between cable and equipment causing it, and may well not happen with cable and other gear.
    Dead right, audible cable effects are system dependant.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Matt.

Yes they can do!

I'm Jerry.

Given that low frequency sound is hard for the brain to locate, would you say that a speaker cable that is good at HF will be better in improving your soundstage perception?
    Jerry
    Hifi: IPL transmission line floorstanding speakers, Squeezebox Touch, Denafrips Ares 11 DAC, DCB1 Pre-amplifier, Croft Series 7 power amp.
    Custom Hifi cables HA10SE headphone amplifier and Hifiman HE-400 headphones.
    AV system: LG 55B7, Denon AVR -x2300w receiver, Quad 12L (front) 11c Centre and 11L rear . Velodyne DD15 subwoofer.

I'm Geoff.

Soundstage isn't just about positioning, depth of image and ambience or sense of acoustic are needed too. It's a tricky question to answer.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm NotTakingLifeTooSeriouslyTheseDays.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    "Today scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality"
    Nikola Tesla

Its now a conspiracy theory to believe that the Immune system is capable of doing the job it was designed to do.
    A fish is only as healthy as the water its swimming in ! [Dr Robert Young]

www.tubedistinctions.co.uk

Matthew 5:10

I'm BigBobJoylove.

Perfect answer...

Quote Originally Posted by Firebottle View Post
    Vehemently not agree.
    Although you have got ultimate constraints of the equipment performance and the limits imposed by the room, with a suitably transparent system it can be very surprising just what improvements to image width/depth and ultimate clarity can be achieved with speaker cables particularly.

Unfortunately using better cables usually involves more expense, but IMO is worth it.
    I recommend PCOCC based cables.

I'm Martin.

Is there a hierarchy of factors that affect soundstage and imaging?

I would say so.

The amount of soundstage and imaging encoded on the recording itself
    The position of the loudspeakers in the room and relative to the listening position
    Room effects (reflection, absorption, diffraction)
    The design of the loudspeakers

if all those are optimised then I could accept that the cables might then play some part. But otherwise I'd suggest that any cable effect would be swamped by the above considerations.

The best system I have ever heard for soundstage and imaging - by a country mile - was Gordon's (Halfway Tree) system using Linkwitz LX521 speakers. IIRC it did not use any 'fancy' cables. Even then the imaging effect varied from recording to recording.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast