+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Do speaker/interconnect cables improve soundstage?

I'm Jerry.

Default Do speaker/interconnect cables improve soundstage?

Better cables bring out the best in your kit but I dont really get how they can improve the soundstage as this (I think) is dictated by your equipment and room interaction. Do you agree?
    Jerry
    Hifi: IPL transmission line floorstanding speakers, Squeezebox Touch, Soncoz SGD1 DAC, DCB1 Pre-amplifier, Croft Series 7 power amp.
    Custom Hifi cables HA10SE headphone amplifier and Hifiman HE-400 headphones.
    AV system: LG 55B7, Denon AVR -x2300w receiver, Quad 12L (front) 11c Centre and 11L rear . Velodyne DD15 subwoofer.

I'm Alan.

Vehemently not agree.
    Although you have got ultimate constraints of the equipment performance and the limits imposed by the room, with a suitably transparent system it can be very surprising just what improvements to image width/depth and ultimate clarity can be achieved with speaker cables particularly.

Unfortunately using better cables usually involves more expense, but IMO is worth it.
    I recommend PCOCC based cables.

I'm Grant.

ive heard improved soundstage with different cables, but it may be an interaction between cable and equipment causing it, and may well not happen with cable and other gear.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - IFI PURIFIER 2/PATHOS CLASSIC REMIX & HIDAC AMPLIFIER - LEAF HD BLUETOOTH - NURAPHONE' HEADPHONES - 2*ZBOOK'- ROON - MULTI HDD'S - DIGIONE RPI3 - EDINGDALE MK1 SPEAKERS - CABLE INC SUPRA, FISUAL, MOGAMI,

**Iíve studied deeply in the philosophies and religions, but cheerfulness kept breaking through**
    "An old man sleeps with his conscience at night, while young kids sleep with their dreams"

"Justice is sinking to the bottom of the sea, And it feels like I'm living in the wasteland of the free"
    Give me absolute control
    Over every living soul, I've seen the future, baby,
    It is murder!
    ***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    ive heard improved soundstage with different cables, but it may be an interaction between cable and equipment causing it, and may well not happen with cable and other gear.
    Dead right, audible cable effects are system dependant.
    The word is 'valves' in this country, not tubes. Tubes are what Smarties come in!

I'm Matt.

Yes they can do!

I'm Jerry.

Given that low frequency sound is hard for the brain to locate, would you say that a speaker cable that is good at HF will be better in improving your soundstage perception?
    Jerry
    Hifi: IPL transmission line floorstanding speakers, Squeezebox Touch, Soncoz SGD1 DAC, DCB1 Pre-amplifier, Croft Series 7 power amp.
    Custom Hifi cables HA10SE headphone amplifier and Hifiman HE-400 headphones.
    AV system: LG 55B7, Denon AVR -x2300w receiver, Quad 12L (front) 11c Centre and 11L rear . Velodyne DD15 subwoofer.

I'm Geoff.

Soundstage isn't just about positioning, depth of image and ambience or sense of acoustic are needed too. It's a tricky question to answer.
    The word is 'valves' in this country, not tubes. Tubes are what Smarties come in!

I'm NotTakingLifeTooSeriouslyTheseDays.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    "Today scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality"
    Nikola Tesla

www.tubedistinctions.co.uk
    There is no justification for taking away individuals' freedom in the guise of public safety.
    Thomas Jefferson
    The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers.
    Thomas Jefferson
    Who will govern the governors? There is only one force in the nation that can be depended upon to keep the government pure and the governors honest, and that is the people themselves. They alone, if well informed, are capable of preventing the corruption of power, and of restoring the nation to its rightful course if it should go astray. They alone are the safest depository of the ultimate powers of government.
    Thomas Jefferson

I'm Rob.

Perfect answer...

Quote Originally Posted by Firebottle View Post
    Vehemently not agree.
    Although you have got ultimate constraints of the equipment performance and the limits imposed by the room, with a suitably transparent system it can be very surprising just what improvements to image width/depth and ultimate clarity can be achieved with speaker cables particularly.

Unfortunately using better cables usually involves more expense, but IMO is worth it.
    I recommend PCOCC based cables.

I'm Martin.

Is there a hierarchy of factors that affect soundstage and imaging?

I would say so.

The amount of soundstage and imaging encoded on the recording itself
    The position of the loudspeakers in the room and relative to the listening position
    Room effects (reflection, absorption, diffraction)
    The design of the loudspeakers

if all those are optimised then I could accept that the cables might then play some part. But otherwise I'd suggest that any cable effect would be swamped by the above considerations.

The best system I have ever heard for soundstage and imaging - by a country mile - was Gordon's (Halfway Tree) system using Linkwitz LX521 speakers. IIRC it did not use any 'fancy' cables. Even then the imaging effect varied from recording to recording.
    Current Lash Up:

*Oppo BDT-101CI* Nelson Pass DCB1 / Krell KSA100 mkII * JM Lab Electra 926 *

'You fool! To think that your ape-brain could contain the full knowledge of the Krell!'

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast