+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 25 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Matt The Funk Firm and Houdini the latest offering from Funk.

I'm Knut.

My Houdini works great with Rega RB900 and the Aidas Rainbow MC. Turntable is Final Tool from Acoustic Signature.
    Regards from Germany.
    DSCF9795.jpg
    Knut.

Acoustic Signature Thunder & Final Tool, Technics SP15, Ampearl RE1030 Valve Phono, Ampearl Valve phono LCR RE2030, Ampearl RE1031, Tribute SUT, Aidas MC, Linn Akiva, DS Audio E1, Nagra VPS
    Legat Audio SETA E130L SE, Legat KT88 SE , K&T Donar, JE Labs Open baffle with Philips 12202, BK elec SUBs P12 & XXls400

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

But Frank, wouldn't it be rather easier simply to fit a Houdini than to isolate a tonearm? Me thinks your eternal scepticism [and perhaps stubbornness] is clouding your ability to give the Houdini a chance!

No offence intended... I understand an element of scepticism, based on the raft of 'snake oil' and (ultimately disappointing) hyped-up products that have been on the market for years.

But the reality is that you cannot assess the efficacy of the Houdini, or make judgements on it, unless you try one for yourself, so your assumptions are simply that: assumptions. That said, you're entitled to do what you want and think what you like, but the fact is you'll never learn anything new, if you don't try new things... Houdini genuinely does do what it says on the tin.

Also, AoS is a friendly forum, with a strong sense of community, so by default we're all friends here

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Matt.

Quote Originally Posted by Columbo View Post
    Sorry, and all that , Matt, put it down to the passing of years and reading perhaps one too many instances of Revelatory, Night & Day products that promise the world, when in the cold, cold light of reality, deliver something rather, rather less so.

I'm afraid I'll be sticking to my view that a goodly percentage of what your device does could be obtained from isolating the arm. I've never understood why it's not done. It's what I intend to do if I ever get round to starting on a DIY turntable.

"Tone" arm. Having had a search, the term dates back to the invention of the phonograph in 1907. I have to say, the 1907 item bears little resemblance to a pickup arm of the last 50+ years or more. Not sure why the term continues to be used when Pickup Arm would be more accurate.

Oh, and I have to say, you're making assumptions with regards "friendships" here.
    Ok Frank, I'm new back here. I actually do not like forums and am only here out of neccessity. I spent about five years (ten years ago) on the Yahoo Spendor Users group and that cured me of audio forums or so I thought.

As stated I am here in a trade capacity and am currently an active promoter of one product which I know to be very different. At the moment only about thirty people in the world actually own one.

Soon though that will change and I will predict that you will soon be sick of hearing about the "Funk Houdini!" When it takes off it will go big it really is what the hype says it is.

"Tonearm" or "Pickup Arm" just a matter of semantics both roads lead to the destination that the arm itself is part of the problem as well as the deck that it is attached to.
    How do I know this? Simple! I have heard what happens to the sound when the arm is decoupled. The sound just opens up! It's a fantastic revelation.

Anyway I recommend that you don't change. Continue to be cynical and take all of my claims with a pinch of salt. But please do one thing. When this is released. Take advantage of
    our 100% no quibble money back offer. Buy one and fit it. If it does not do what I claim then simply send it back and ask for a refund. Even better tell Arthur that I owe you a tenner and I'll post that back to you also for
    your trouble in trying it. So in effect a 103% money back guarantee.

So how about that? What's to lose?

And BTW on here I did assume that Marco was everybody's friend! My bad I'm sorry.

Kind regards, Matt.

I'm Knut.

My Houdini has three very big effects on sound. Much better bass attack, better with sibilants, deeper soundstage. All three effects you hear at once. First I tried the Rega RB900 with 2g Blu tack to prepare for the difference on effective mass with the 2g Houdini.
    Knut.

Acoustic Signature Thunder & Final Tool, Technics SP15, Ampearl RE1030 Valve Phono, Ampearl Valve phono LCR RE2030, Ampearl RE1031, Tribute SUT, Aidas MC, Linn Akiva, DS Audio E1, Nagra VPS
    Legat Audio SETA E130L SE, Legat KT88 SE , K&T Donar, JE Labs Open baffle with Philips 12202, BK elec SUBs P12 & XXls400

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny nocash View Post
    I did understand what Marco said.
    Question: Would there be any difference in sound between a Rega 300 arm & SME V both using the same cartridge & Houdini? Or has the Houdini 'levelled the playing field' so much you couldn't tell the difference.
    Hi Richard,

No, a better arm will always be a better arm (as ultimately results achieved will be governed by the weakest link), so all else being equal, the best arm fitted with a Houdini, and the same cartridge, should sound best.

However, aside from its basic function to effectively support the cartridge and allow it to accurately trace the grooves, with a Houdini, the intrinsic sonic signature ('tone') of the arm is irrelevant, as that is nullified.

The main purpose and benefit of the Houdini is to allow people who can't afford a high-end tonearm to get the same high-end sonic performance, but without spending 'high-end' money!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Matt.

Quote Originally Posted by indie roehre View Post
    My Houdini has three very big effects on sound. Much better bass attack, better with sibilants, deeper soundstage. All three effects you hear at once. First I tried the Rega RB900 with 2g Blu tack to prepare for the difference on effective mass with the 2g Houdini.
    Welcome to the group Knut.

Thanks for posting a picture of your Houdini modified setup.

Kind regards, Matt.

I'm Frank.

Matt... Matt... Matt....

You seem like a decent enough chap, but I'm afraid I won't be able to avail you of your offer, kind, as it may be.

Never indulged in expensive (to me) accessory/bolt-on items. What meagre resources available, are intended to go on a DIY turntable design and arm, which of course will be decoupled. And I'll have another think about the cartridge/arm interface. Have to say all I could come up with previously was something along the lines of The Cartridge Man's device, which uses a rigid foam.

Anyway, I imagine if your item has the merit you say it has, people will buy it, if it's of interest to them.

Aye. Assumptions. Can be dangerous things to make.

I'm Matt.

Matt... Matt... Matt....

You seem like a decent enough chap, but I'm afraid I won't be able to avail you of your offer, kind, as it may be.

Never indulged in expensive (to me) accessory/bolt-on items. What meagre resources available, are intended to go on a DIY turntable design and arm, which of course will be decoupled. And I'll have another think about the cartridge/arm interface. Have to say all I could come up with previously was something along the lines of The Cartridge Man's device, which uses a rigid foam.

Anyway, I imagine if your item has the merit you say it has, people will buy it, if it's of interest to them.

Oh well, I tried! Can't win them all Frank.

Yes, you know the old saying: https://www.ihasco.co.uk/blog/entry/...ut-of-u-and-me

Indeed, the whole subject of 'unconscious bias' is interesting, but particularly how it applies to the decisions we make in audio...

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Alan.

Matt does the Houdini fit a Goldring GL75 headshell?

It looks like the limiting dimension is 20mm at the front.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 25 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast