+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 25 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Matt The Funk Firm and Houdini the latest offering from Funk.

I'm Matt.

Quote Originally Posted by indie roehre View Post
    I try to post a picture again with a hoster
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Excellent shot!

I'm Kevin.

I have added my name to the list of Houdini hopefuls.
    I will report back my findings honestly, as someone who has purchased this device, so I will evaluate it against what it has cost me, possibly in comparison to other upgrades I have performed.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm AndrewR.

Hi Matt,

I hope you are well. This year I have been investing quite a bit in my turntable and was really astounded by the Achromat I bought for my LP12/Keel/Karousel/Ekos 2/Lingo 2/2M Black. If I were to recommend one thing to Achromat owners, it is 'use the sticky circles' to fix it to the platter - this seems to reduce any 'micro-slippages' of the mat on the platter and massively improves the timing.

The Houdini is intriguing me - but not sure whether it would suit the suspension of an LP12.

In addition, I have some concern that the additional height would foul the arm on the lid of the turntable. There are a couple of potential options I see here:

* Look for a shallow cartridge (which only really limits it to Rega cartridges, which I am not a fan of).
    * Find a low slung counter-weight for my Ekos 2. There only seems to be the Tiger Paw - but has not received good reviews for its impact on tunes. There may be other alternatives out there, but I have yet to find.

Hoping to join the party when I can.

BTW, as a potential idea to The Funk Firm - have you yet considered making a version of the Houdini that would replace the X beam in Funk arms?

All the best,

Andrew
    Andrew Randle

I'm Matt.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewR View Post
    Hi Matt,

I hope you are well. This year I have been investing quite a bit in my turntable and was really astounded by the Achromat I bought for my LP12/Keel/Karousel/Ekos 2/Lingo 2/2M Black. If I were to recommend one thing to Achromat owners, it is 'use the sticky circles' to fix it to the platter - this seems to reduce any 'micro-slippages' of the mat on the platter and massively improves the timing.

The Houdini is intriguing me - but not sure whether it would suit the suspension of an LP12.

In addition, I have some concern that the additional height would foul the arm on the lid of the turntable. There are a couple of potential options I see here:

* Look for a shallow cartridge (which only really limits it to Rega cartridges, which I am not a fan of).
    * Find a low slung counter-weight for my Ekos 2. There only seems to be the Tiger Paw - but has not received good reviews for its impact on tunes. There may be other alternatives out there, but I have yet to find.

Hoping to join the party when I can.

BTW, as a potential idea to The Funk Firm - have you yet considered making a version of the Houdini that would replace the X beam in Funk arms?

All the best,

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

A couple of questions and statements here so let me respond to each.

Firstly if you like what Achromat does then Houdini is the same effect as Achromat multiplied by five! It's NOT subtle.

Next: All arms resonate (Even Ivor's more exotic creations) and suspension of the LP12 has little to do with it. Houdini is suitable for ALL turntables even Linn.
    In fact I am pretty proud of the fact that I am the first person in the world to fit a Houdini to a Linn Sondek, (Ittok and Ortofon Red). And please allow me to let you in on a secret!
    You know that mastertape? You haven't heard it yet.

Ray Cluer the owner of the above deck (both a friend and a funk customer) is currently on various Linn Groups extolling the virtues of Houdini.

You will almost certainly foul the Lid especially with Ekos as it will need an additional spacer due to the shape of the headshell. Arthur will develop a solution to stand the lid off but not yet he is too busy.
    Me personally I would just get rid of the lid (or at least temporarily till Arthur fixes it) the benefits of Houdini is worth an occasional TT dusting session. For me it would be a no brainer.

As far as deleting FdotX arms... Well not quite but Houdini has certainly set the cat amongst the pigeons even in our own camp. And thus in the future there is likely to be only one arm (final design as yet undecided).
    Right now even we cannot countenance recommending a range of tonearms which even we must admit having been levelled by Houdini. So we are not going to. One competant arm will be it.

Sorry for the late reply I have not been on here for a few days. In fact is was Marco that brought your post to my attention.

Kind regards, Matt.
    Last edited by matodono1; 18-09-2020 at 02:31.

I'm Kevin.

Don’t forget that you are going to have to change the marketing blurb.
    Funk Firm FX-3 Tonearm (Rega 3 point fixing)

In order to work properly cartridges need a rigid support.
    For the past 100 years, however, the arms that have carried them have been anything but rigid. In 2010, Funk started an R&D program to solve this.
    The result was Funk’s unique F•X Cross-Beam system (pat pend).
    Rigid & low-Q, F•X has earned a giant killing reputation, which is well deserved.
    As stated earlier in this thread, the Houdini may negate the need for an expensive tonearm. Time will tell, as I am still waiting (like an expectant father) for mine to arrive.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm jamie.

a question,my cartridge is an Ortofon Kontrapunkt b,like the cadenza series it has 3 ridges on top of the cartridge for azimuth adjustment,you just tighten or loosen one of the cartridge fixing bolts and it tilts to the left or right depending on which bolt is adjusted. will this still work with a Houdini?
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm Matt.

Quote Originally Posted by karma67 View Post
    a question,my cartridge is an Ortofon Kontrapunkt b,like the cadenza series it has 3 ridges on top of the cartridge for azimuth adjustment,you just tighten or loosen one of the cartridge fixing bolts and it tilts to the left or right depending on which bolt is adjusted. will this still work with a Houdini?

We honestly do not know. However you do not need that method to adjust azimuth. Some of the early prototypes caused azimuth issues. All we did is shim the side that needed to be lower with tape until we got to where we needed. Perfectly acceptable no widgets neccessary.

Matt.

I'm malcolm.

Mine arrived a few days ago.

Fitted the Houdini and had many hours testing, I didn't have great results with Linn K9s but when I swapped in AT 125LC everything changed, much cleaner sound, more detail, more soundstage, etc. In fact I can now listen at a louder level without it sounding louder!

Only concern I have though, and could it be a factor in the K9 results, is something Matt posted above "We are not recommending that you use the "Screw to" for both types because with certain types of cartridge the cleat will flex slightly. However we do realise that in certain cases there will be a need to accomodate both.
    I will release a tutorial showing you how to fit both types to the "screw to" but according to your own judgement and at your own risk as it is not strictly within the intended design."

Given that I accidentally received the screw to model instead of the screw thru?
    Audiophile Tosher

I'm Alan.

Does it fit in a GL75 headshell Malcolm?

I'm Knut.

for Linn K9 you need this one.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Knut.

Acoustic Signature Thunder & Final Tool, Technics SP15, Ampearl RE1030 Valve Phono, Ampearl Valve phono LCR RE2030, Ampearl RE1031, Tribute SUT, Aidas MC, Linn Akiva, DS Audio E1, Nagra VPS
    Legat Audio SETA E130L SE, Legat KT88 SE , K&T Donar, JE Labs Open baffle with Philips 12202, BK elec SUBs P12 & XXls400

+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 25 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast