+ Reply to Thread
Page 22 of 25 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: Matt The Funk Firm and Houdini the latest offering from Funk.

I'm Allthatwasisorwillbe.

So I've ordered a 3g headshell weight in anticipation of the Houdini arriving...still not here yet! Has anyone else ordered one recently and received it?

How is everyone who does have one finding it? Is it the game changer it is said to be?
    Darren

KORUS CUSTOM SERVER
    TECHNICS 1200 MKII_JELCO 750D_SHURE SC35C (with NOS and NEO SAS styli)
    CAIMAN SEG + DORADO PSU
    CROFT MEGA MICRO
    PARADIGM REFERENCE ACTIVE/40'S
    PARADIGM SERVO 15 SUBWOOFER X 2

''The theory of relativity is a mass of error and deceptive ideas violently opposed to the teachings of great men of science of the past and even to common sense''

I'm Kevin.

It will be worth chasing Matt and Arthur up if you have not received it yet.

I have already posted my thoughts up on it.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by kininigin View Post
    So I've ordered a 3g headshell weight in anticipation of the Houdini arriving...still not here yet! Has anyone else ordered one recently and received it?

How is everyone who does have one finding it? Is it the game changer it is said to be?
    Not sure if they would have two addresses for you? I received mine within a couple of days but the screws provided weren’t long enough to get through my cart so Arthur posted some longer ones but these went to my office address which Funk also had on their database. I randomly popped into the office on Tuesday and noticed them there. May be worth asking Arthur which address it was posted to?
    Regards Steve

Funkfirm Little Super Deck with F5 arm
    Audio Technica AT33sa
    Vertere Phono 1
    Naim Supernait 2
    Niam Allae speaker

I'm Allthatwasisorwillbe.

Quote Originally Posted by CageyH View Post
    It will be worth chasing Matt and Arthur up if you have not received it yet.

I have already posted my thoughts up on it.
    I will give it till Friday, then send another email. I don't really like chasing things up every two minutes

Quote Originally Posted by carruthersesq View Post
    Not sure if they would have two addresses for you? I received mine within a couple of days but the screws provided weren’t long enough to get through my cart so Arthur posted some longer ones but these went to my office address which Funk also had on their database. I randomly popped into the office on Tuesday and noticed them there. May be worth asking Arthur which address it was posted to?
    I've only given one address, never bought anything from them before. I don't quite know if it's been posted or not. Apparently it was posted Friday according to Arthur.
    Darren

KORUS CUSTOM SERVER
    TECHNICS 1200 MKII_JELCO 750D_SHURE SC35C (with NOS and NEO SAS styli)
    CAIMAN SEG + DORADO PSU
    CROFT MEGA MICRO
    PARADIGM REFERENCE ACTIVE/40'S
    PARADIGM SERVO 15 SUBWOOFER X 2

''The theory of relativity is a mass of error and deceptive ideas violently opposed to the teachings of great men of science of the past and even to common sense''

I'm Kevin.

According to The Funk Firm Facebook group, Matt has just sent another batch to Arthur.
    The problem is Arthur tends to forget, so needs a polite reminder.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm Tony.

Default Houdini

I recently bought and fitted a Houdini to my Oracle Delphi and I've got to say first impressions were not good. One spare plastic screw, a cheap screwdriver and a basic bike instruction sheet and a low rent paper box.
    I was left thinking to myself "where did my £300 go to?) I sat down to listen to it after sorting out the alignment and tracking weight. OK I heard more stuff coming from the speakers especially sounds or voices in the background became a little more pronounced and clearer. The bass sounded similar to before but had a slightly better texture being more plump and fruity. To my ears there has been no change to the high frequencies that I've heard so far. I would say that although the sound is quite lively, it still remains easy to listen too but I was just not getting what other users said they were getting.
    The differences were very subtle and not instantly recognisable and in my own opinion not much better than the Origin Live Cartridge Enabler at £25. Do i feel short changed at £300? Yep I sure do so I'll be honouring the money back pledge and putting my enabler back on.
    I would be dissapointed if I'd paid £100 for this so £300 is way OTT for a very slight difference in sound quality.
    Being brutally honest if you can easily afford it then go ahead buy one, it makes a small difference, but if you are strapped for cash and baulk at the price, don't get it, you will be kicking yourself and end up trying to convince yourself that has changed your sound for the better.
    I always thought the claims were too good to be true.
    Last edited by russiansandamericans; 15-10-2020 at 23:34. Reason: Typo

I'm Patrick.

Quote Originally Posted by russiansandamericans View Post
    One spare plastic screw, a cheap screwdriver and a basic bike instruction sheet and a low rent paper box.
    I'd say that is really good: I am fed up with buying stuff in over the top packaging which just ends up in landfill and using up precious resources. Boxes made of 1000 year old trees? Multiple bits of plastic which will just end up in the ocean? Good on you Funk Firm. The trouble is the plonker customers who feel they should get a wooden box with a silk lining to justify the price of their OTT mains lead.

I'm John.

Quote Originally Posted by russiansandamericans View Post
    I recently bought and fitted a Houdini to my Oracle Delphi and I've got to say first impressions were not good. One spare plastic screw, a cheap screwdriver and a basic bike instruction sheet and a low rent paper box.
    I was left thinking to myself "where did my £300 go to?) I sat down to listen to it after sorting out the alignment and tracking weight. OK I heard more stuff coming from the speakers especially sounds or voices in the background became a little more pronounced and clearer. The bass sounded similar to before but had a slightly better texture being more plump and fruity. To my ears there has been no change to the high frequencies that I've heard so far. I would say that although the sound is quite lively, it still remains easy to listen too but I was just not getting what other users said they were getting.
    The differences were very subtle and not instantly recognisable and in my own opinion not much better than the Origin Live Cartridge Enabler at £25. Do i feel short changed at £300? Yep I sure do so I'll be honouring the money back pledge and putting my enabler back on.
    I would be dissapointed if I'd paid £100 for this so £300 is way OTT for a very slight difference in sound quality.
    Being brutally honest if you can easily afford it then go ahead buy one, it makes a small difference, but if you are strapped for cash and baulk at the price, don't get it, you will be kicking yourself and end up trying to convince yourself that has changed your sound for the better.
    I always thought the claims were too good to be true.
    How is the box a factor to the sound quality? Sounds like you're determined to not like it at any cost.
    Sent by me using an appendage

SME Model 15/V tonearm, Lyra Dorian, EAR Phono Box.

Luxman 509X amp.

PMC 25 23i speakers.

Innuos/Roon/Qobuz/I-Pad. Oppo UDP-205.

Cables by Kimber, Yannis and Audioquest.

Audioquest Niagara. Tube Distinctions Mains power filter. Project RCM. Zerostat.

I'm Tony.

The box is not a factor to sound quality and I never said that. How wrong you are. I was expecting great things but ended up deflated. Presentation is shoddy for something costing £300 adding to the feeling of being short changed.
    Last edited by russiansandamericans; 16-10-2020 at 12:07.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Dixon View Post
    I'd say that is really good: I am fed up with buying stuff in over the top packaging which just ends up in landfill and using up precious resources. Boxes made of 1000 year old trees? Multiple bits of plastic which will just end up in the ocean? Good on you Funk Firm. The trouble is the plonker customers who feel they should get a wooden box with a silk lining to justify the price of their OTT mains lead.
    Yes. Pointlessly elaborate packaging is usually a good indicator that the product actually does nothing.

Don't see any cause for complaint, you can try it and send back for full refund if not impressed. What more can be asked?
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 22 of 25 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast