+ Reply to Thread
Page 23 of 25 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 LastLast

Thread: Matt The Funk Firm and Houdini the latest offering from Funk.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

First this:

Quote Originally Posted by russiansandamericans View Post
    OK I heard more stuff coming from the speakers especially sounds or voices in the background became a little more pronounced and clearer. The bass sounded similar to before but had a slightly better texture being more plump and fruity.
    Then this:

Quote Originally Posted by russiansandamericans View Post
    The differences were very subtle and not instantly recognisable...
    Seems like you didn't have too much trouble 'instantly recognising' any of the above, none of which IMO is "very subtle"

Anyway, you're entitled to your opinion, which is as valid as anyone else's, but don't ever again throw personal insults around on this forum, the likes of which have been deleted, or you'll be banned without a second thought.

On AoS, we have a zero tolerance policy towards such behaviour, so count yourself lucky you're being given a second chance. Any more such outbursts, however, will be punished accordingly - oh, and that includes from ANYONE ELSE here too, so wise up people and keep it polite!!

I trust that I've made myself clear?

Marco.

P.S The supplied screw is supposed to be plastic (nylon).
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Yes. Pointlessly elaborate packaging is usually a good indicator that the product actually does nothing.

Don't see any cause for complaint, you can try it and send back for full refund if not impressed. What more can be asked?
    Indeed... I think Tony wanted his £300 to be spent on a box - and can you *believe* that the supplied screwdriver wasn't gold-plated? Talk about 'low rent'!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Allthatwasisorwillbe.

So at long last the Houdini is here and has now been fitted! So does it do the business? Bet your ass it does! I'm quite frankly amazed at the the difference it has made. From top to bottom everything is cleaner to the point that without it, everything just sounds coloured!

It's like going from a 22" black and white TV to a 65" 4k TV!

Now this is in the context of my system (which isn't too shabby) and I don't know if it would make a difference with a super high end tonearm but to me it makes my whole system sound like it has been upgraded.

I've been wanting to upgrade my croft to a 25R spec, which I think is about £400 and if i had and heard this difference, I'd say that was money well spent!

Nuff said, back to listening to records!
    Darren

KORUS CUSTOM SERVER
    TECHNICS 1200 MKII_JELCO 750D_SHURE SC35C (with NOS and NEO SAS styli)
    CAIMAN SEG + DORADO PSU
    CROFT MEGA MICRO
    PARADIGM REFERENCE ACTIVE/40'S
    PARADIGM SERVO 15 SUBWOOFER X 2

''The theory of relativity is a mass of error and deceptive ideas violently opposed to the teachings of great men of science of the past and even to common sense''

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Indeed... I think Tony wanted his £300 to be spent on a box - and can you *believe* that the supplied screwdriver wasn't gold-plated? Talk about 'low rent'!

Marco.
    Indeed
    Last edited by The Vinyl Adventure; 19-10-2020 at 12:23.
    CS Port TAT2 - Benz LPS - Funkfirm Houdini - DS Audio Vinyl Ionizer - CS Port C3EQ - Kondo G70 - Kondo Gakuoh II - Maxonic TW1100 MKII - Isol-8 SubStation Integra

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by kininigin View Post
    So at long last the Houdini is here and has now been fitted! So does it do the business? Bet your ass it does! I'm quite frankly amazed at the the difference it has made. From top to bottom everything is cleaner to the point that without it, everything just sounds coloured!

It's like going from a 22" black and white TV to a 65" 4k TV!

Now this is in the context of my system (which isn't too shabby) and I don't know if it would make a difference with a super high end tonearm but to me it makes my whole system sound like it has been upgraded.

I've been wanting to upgrade my croft to a 25R spec, which I think is about £400 and if i had and heard this difference, I'd say that was money well spent!

Nuff said, back to listening to records!
    Once you get it as you seem to have, the Houdini is a no brainer IMO, enjoy it sir!
    CS Port TAT2 - Benz LPS - Funkfirm Houdini - DS Audio Vinyl Ionizer - CS Port C3EQ - Kondo G70 - Kondo Gakuoh II - Maxonic TW1100 MKII - Isol-8 SubStation Integra

I'm Allthatwasisorwillbe.

Quote Originally Posted by The Vinyl Adventure View Post
    Once you get it as you seem to have, the Houdini is a no brainer IMO, enjoy it sir!
    I certainly get it, I really can't see how you wouldn't after listening to one fitted on your cartridge. I really have no idea how that other geeza thought it made barely any difference!

All I know is that the Houdini works and will transform your listening experience with vinyl. If you are sitting on the fence about trying one, I'd say go for it. There's a money back guarantee, so really is a no brainer.
    Darren

KORUS CUSTOM SERVER
    TECHNICS 1200 MKII_JELCO 750D_SHURE SC35C (with NOS and NEO SAS styli)
    CAIMAN SEG + DORADO PSU
    CROFT MEGA MICRO
    PARADIGM REFERENCE ACTIVE/40'S
    PARADIGM SERVO 15 SUBWOOFER X 2

''The theory of relativity is a mass of error and deceptive ideas violently opposed to the teachings of great men of science of the past and even to common sense''

I'm David.

Here's one of mine.

I'm Gordon.

Okay, go get yourself a coffee, cause I’ve been at this for over three weeks now and there’s a lot to get through…..(for those who may be pre-opinionated about the Houdini, or have no interest in the first place, now is the time to move thread!) . . . .

Been using the Houdini with my London Reference for a couple of weeks now (fitted to Jelco 750L and Garrard 401 to start with), complete with one of Arthur’s lightweight headshells. And I have to say that I’m pretty impressed; more so than ever with the London previously. As always, the London can be a little unforgiving if the record is dirty in any way (even slightly), or is worn due to age. Otherwise everything is absolutely ‘spot on’ with a wide convincing sound stage, excellent separation between the instruments / performers and a fantastic deep and accurate bass which is so easy to follow on most records. A definite overall improvement!

I spent a good while ensuring that the geometry was all perfect, not an easy exercise with a London / Decca (!), but with everything set up as accurate as I can using a Dr Feickert protractor, a set of digital scales and a mirror for azimuth, I can only comment that I’m completely delighted with the results. Some pretty old records have suddenly ‘come to life’ and have become very enjoyable to listen to again producing the old chestnut of rediscovering the collection!

To be continued.......
    Technics SL1000R, DynavectorXV1t, Garrard 401, Jelco SA750LB, Decca Reference, ATVM750SH, AT33Mono, Hana Umami Red, Reimyo CDP777, EarYoshino 912, Ear Yoshino 509s, JBLK2 SL5800s, ART Dram interconnects / speaker cables.

I'm Gordon.

Houdini / Hana set up:

Very similar results were discovered after fitting the Houdini to a Hana SL and going through the same routine as with the London. However, I was already in discussions at the time to trade in the SL and purchase one of the new Umami Reds, so the SL was not played much on either the Garrard or the Technics TTs. However, the results were much the same as with the London and the performance of the Hana was noticeably improved. I have yet to try the Umami with the Houdini, so can’t comment at this time and it should be noted that anyone with a reasonably lightweight cartridge (AND using Arthur’s lightweight headshell) will probably need to use some form of headshell ballast, as I did with the Hana.

Also, I’ve found that with the correct length of screws, I managed to fit a ‘screwless’ Hana SL (see photo) to the ‘screwed type’ Houdini with no trouble. Screws of all sizes are obtainable from: Model Fixings - and that include M2.5 and M2.6 (as fitted to the Umami!), as well as plastic and steel screws.

To be continued......
    Last edited by WullieD20; 19-10-2020 at 18:56.
    Technics SL1000R, DynavectorXV1t, Garrard 401, Jelco SA750LB, Decca Reference, ATVM750SH, AT33Mono, Hana Umami Red, Reimyo CDP777, EarYoshino 912, Ear Yoshino 509s, JBLK2 SL5800s, ART Dram interconnects / speaker cables.

I'm Gordon.

Houdini / Dynavector XV1t set up.

When the Houdini was fitted to my Dynavector and I had gone through the same set up routine as the London and Hana, but fitted to the Technics TT, I initially thought that there was little change after playing quite a few different records and this was (sort of) confirmed by doing an A/B comparison between the XV1t / Technics and with my Hana SL (without the Houdini) fitted to the 401/Jelco. Time after time the ‘inferior’ Hana set up appeared to be preferable to the supposedly ‘superior’ (and expensive) Dynavector/Technics set up, only to be confirmed when I returned the XV1t to a normal set up without the Houdini and I determined virtually no change.

All a wee bit weird, but possibly an understandable outcome based on the theory that the Houdini works well with most cartridges, but not particularly well with ALL cartridges?

My personal conclusions:

In many years of pursuing this hobby of ours I have discovered that an ‘upgrade’ change to some components, or even cables, may not manifest itself as the improvement one may expect. But, after a period of familiarisation and upon reversing the process by substituting the previous component back into the system, I can invariably determine the deterioration in sound quality, convincing me to pursue the upgrade path.
    The value of a Houdini, in a ‘material’ sense, cannot be considered to be worth £300, so if you don’t have £300 to spend, or have negative thoughts on a product that you haven’t even heard first, don’t venture into Houdiniland! However, that’s not always what it’s about and there’s also the ‘money back guarantee’ that’s on offer, so what have you got to lose? (I personally can’t get my head around £840k for a pair of speakers - Magico?). My opinion is that the Houdini works very well with some (probably most) cartridges, but not necessarily all cartridges. I’m thoroughly enjoying the London/Houdini set up and I’m back to using the Dynavector without the Houdini. I’ve exchanged the Hana SL for the Umami Red and am over the moon with its performance so far, when fitted to the Technics, but currently without the Houdini. Who knows what the Houdini may bring to the party with the new Hana?
    Last edited by WullieD20; 20-10-2020 at 08:55.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 23 of 25 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 LastLast