+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 25 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Matt The Funk Firm and Houdini the latest offering from Funk.

I'm Matt.

Another satisfied Houdini owner. Still 100% approval! Who's next?

Matt.

I'm Matt.

Quote Originally Posted by willbewill View Post
    Mine arrived a few days ago.

Fitted the Houdini and had many hours testing, I didn't have great results with Linn K9s but when I swapped in AT 125LC everything changed, much cleaner sound, more detail, more soundstage, etc. In fact I can now listen at a louder level without it sounding louder!

Only concern I have though, and could it be a factor in the K9 results, is something Matt posted above "We are not recommending that you use the "Screw to" for both types because with certain types of cartridge the cleat will flex slightly. However we do realise that in certain cases there will be a need to accomodate both.
    I will release a tutorial showing you how to fit both types to the "screw to" but according to your own judgement and at your own risk as it is not strictly within the intended design."

Given that I accidentally received the screw to model instead of the screw thru?
    I would check that you haven't fouled the suspension with a bolt that is slightly too long. There is nothing wrong with using the screw to Houdini for both types it's just the setup is a real pain for the lugg type cart. There is absolutely no reason why a K9 should be immune to Houdini's charm.

I am currently editing fitting videos where all questions should be answered.

Regards, Matt.

I'm Matt.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebottle View Post
    Does it fit in a GL75 headshell Malcolm?
    Not easily, Arthur is going to have to come up with a fix.

I'm malcolm.

Quote Originally Posted by matodono1 View Post
    I would check that you haven't fouled the suspension with a bolt that is slightly too long. There is nothing wrong with using the screw to Houdini for both types it's just the setup is a real pain for the lugg type cart. There is absolutely no reason why a K9 should be immune to Houdini's charm.

I am currently editing fitting videos where all questions should be answered.

Regards, Matt.
    Thanks Matt

No there wasn't any problem with screws fouling. I set up two decks with K9s and nudeline styli and they sounded very similar. Then added the Houdini to one of them and whilst I could hear an improvement - i was A/B ing them using the a copy of same album on both decks so I could just press a button on amplifier to compare - it wasn't anywhere near the magnitude if change heard with the AT125lc. I wonder if I had already got near the limit of what the K9 could produce prior to adding the Houdini?
    Audiophile Tosher

I'm malcolm.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebottle View Post
    Does it fit in a GL75 headshell Malcolm?
    Not without major surgery to it or headshell.
    Audiophile Tosher

I'm malcolm.

Quote Originally Posted by indie roehre View Post
    for Linn K9 you need this one.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    That's what was ordered but I received the other model and it works just fine with AT125lc which is also screw thru. Ii actually wasn't difficult to fit, in fact it meant I didn't have to cut screws, and as Matt has now confirmed it shouldn't be a problem.
    Audiophile Tosher

I'm malcolm.

Thanks Matt

No there wasn't any problem with screws fouling. I set up two decks with K9s and nudeline styli and they sounded very similar. Then added the Houdini to one of them and whilst I could hear an improvement - i was A/B ing them using the a copy of same album on both decks so I could just press a button on amplifier to compare - it wasn't anywhere near the magnitude if change heard with the AT125lc. I wonder if I had already got near the limit of what the K9 could produce prior to adding the Houdini?
    Also wonder if there may have been some truth in Linn's insistence on the K9 being tightly fixed in headshell?
    Audiophile Tosher

I'm Matt.

Thanks Matt

Ok well that sounds like a reasonable explanation. And it seems as if all avenues have been explored. We cannot ask for more so thanks.

Matt.

I'm Neil.

Default A couple of weeks with Houdini

I don't post to forums very often and use them sparingly.

I've owned my Pink Triangle turntable since the 1980s, and having had several upgrades over the years, it is essentially now Anniversary spec (SME V/Koetsu Urushi). I don't change components very much; I'm pretty much on my third system in almost 40 years and it mostly dates back to the 80s/90s. Everything I have has been refurbished in the past five years. I like to think that I'm pretty immune to the snake oil and exhortations to make eye-wateringly expensive "upgrades". I haven't got unlimited funds and I (mostly) like what I hear.

I've had cause to deal with Arthur this year to fix a broken bearing and have been fortunate enough to get some early experience of the Houdini on my "other" turntable, a PT Tarantella (Origin Live Silver/Ortofon Kontrapunkt B). When Arthur suggested that, while my main TT was out of action, he fit the Houdini to the Tarantella, I resisted. But, I've always thought that the back-up TT was a bit lacking all-around compared to the PT Too/Anniversary/SME V/Urushi combo, and this was still the case after a few weeks settling in to listen with the Tarantella again, so I relented.

Having had Houdini fitted to the Tarantella, the sound I'm getting has been transformed. I feel like I'm getting a lot more depth, space and resolution. What was a bit of a mellow-sounding cartridge seems to have more bite/attack and firmness in the bass, without any harshness. I'm not sure I want to take my "main" turntable back out of the box!

Compared to the kinds of outlay that many hifi enthusiasts are prepared to make over and over again to "improve" the sound coming from their systems, I find it hard to believe that commentators on various hifi forums are attacking something they've not even heard on the basis of its price! How many significant upgrades to a hifi system's sound can be had for a few hundred quid? Surely one must listen and decide on that basis, not just put a value based on what you can see in the pictures? Talk about a red herring! The fact that it looks simple doesn't mean that it is simple. The value is in what it sounds like.

I would strongly suggest that this is an upgrade worth investigating. It may not be for everyone, but at the price, even owners of a budget vinyl-based system can consider it (and for them, despite the price being significant compared to their overall system cost, it will be the most worthwhile, based on my understanding of how Houdini works). With the offer of a refund if not satisfied, what is there to lose?

I've also heard been fortunate to listen to another of his new developments, the Akutrak, which, although of a completely different order price-wise, pushes the sonic results that can be achieved by lower-cost MM cartridges into besting the sound of very high-end MC cartridges. There's more to it than that, but I'm thinking that it could be a one-off outlay that saves enthusiasts a lot of money on cartridges over the years!

j.

PT Too (Anniversary Spec)/SME V/Koetsu Urushi (PT Tarantella/Origin Live Silver/Ortofon Kontrapunkt B)
    Audio Research SP9 mk3
    Micromega Solo
    Albarry M1008 Monoblocks
    Pro-Ac EBT
    (VdH/Kimber/Cardas cables, Woodblock/Red Rollers RF inhibitors)
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'm Matt.

Quote Originally Posted by jahknob View Post
    I don't post to forums very often and use them sparingly.

I've owned my Pink Triangle turntable since the 1980s, and having had several upgrades over the years, it is essentially now Anniversary spec (SME V/Koetsu Urushi). I don't change components very much; I'm pretty much on my third system in almost 40 years and it mostly dates back to the 80s/90s. Everything I have has been refurbished in the past five years. I like to think that I'm pretty immune to the snake oil and exhortations to make eye-wateringly expensive "upgrades". I haven't got unlimited funds and I (mostly) like what I hear.

I've had cause to deal with Arthur this year to fix a broken bearing and have been fortunate enough to get some early experience of the Houdini on my "other" turntable, a PT Tarantella (Origin Live Silver/Ortofon Kontrapunkt B). When Arthur suggested that, while my main TT was out of action, he fit the Houdini to the Tarantella, I resisted. But, I've always thought that the back-up TT was a bit lacking all-around compared to the PT Too/Anniversary/SME V/Urushi combo, and this was still the case after a few weeks settling in to listen with the Tarantella again, so I relented.

Having had Houdini fitted to the Tarantella, the sound I'm getting has been transformed. I feel like I'm getting a lot more depth, space and resolution. What was a bit of a mellow-sounding cartridge seems to have more bite/attack and firmness in the bass, without any harshness. I'm not sure I want to take my "main" turntable back out of the box!

Compared to the kinds of outlay that many hifi enthusiasts are prepared to make over and over again to "improve" the sound coming from their systems, I find it hard to believe that commentators on various hifi forums are attacking something they've not even heard on the basis of its price! How many significant upgrades to a hifi system's sound can be had for a few hundred quid? Surely one must listen and decide on that basis, not just put a value based on what you can see in the pictures? Talk about a red herring! The fact that it looks simple doesn't mean that it is simple. The value is in what it sounds like.

I would strongly suggest that this is an upgrade worth investigating. It may not be for everyone, but at the price, even owners of a budget vinyl-based system can consider it (and for them, despite the price being significant compared to their overall system cost, it will be the most worthwhile, based on my understanding of how Houdini works). With the offer of a refund if not satisfied, what is there to lose?

I've also heard been fortunate to listen to another of his new developments, the Akutrak, which, although of a completely different order price-wise, pushes the sonic results that can be achieved by lower-cost MM cartridges into besting the sound of very high-end MC cartridges. There's more to it than that, but I'm thinking that it could be a one-off outlay that saves enthusiasts a lot of money on cartridges over the years!

j.

PT Too (Anniversary Spec)/SME V/Koetsu Urushi (PT Tarantella/Origin Live Silver/Ortofon Kontrapunkt B)
    Audio Research SP9 mk3
    Micromega Solo
    Albarry M1008 Monoblocks
    Pro-Ac EBT
    (VdH/Kimber/Cardas cables, Woodblock/Red Rollers RF inhibitors)
    Thanks for that Neill.

So far 100% satisfaction. Not one detractor anywhere.

Who is next? info@thefunkfirm.co.uk.

Thanks, Matt.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 25 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast