+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: David Price reviews new £4500 Creek Voyage i20 Amplifer

I'm Geoff.

I have always liked Creek amplifiers. It is a lot of money but the niche nature of our hobby dictates that high margins are almost essential but it will kill the hobby, eventually, and is a large part of the reason why the used market is so active.
    Main system: Sony TTS8000; AT1010; Audio Technica Art1; The Lentek; Cambridge 851n, Yamaha NS1000.
    System 2 - SBT; Technics SH-X1000 DAC; Denon PMA-850

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by nonuffin View Post
    The post above simply tells me that manufacturers are panicking about the shrinking demographic that will buy their products. A shrinking market means they have to jack their prices up just to stand still and the "value for money" scales go right out of the window as we see in the above review.

The industry could have done and do a lot more now to maintain their market share, but they needed to cooperate in spreading the word about how music SHOULD sound to the younger generations, but sadly this has not materialised, so we see second rate products at grossly inflated prices which will ring the death knell for many of them.

When we see price tags like this, it is no wonder that second hand goods fetch prices so high, the likes of which we never saw even 5 years ago and there too is another nail in manufacturer's coffins even though they seem unable to see it.
    Excellent post and i thought the above reply was fascinating. In my recent quest for a pair of speakers i noticed the price hike in lower quality speakers and the ridiculous prices being asked by deluded second hand sellers for 20 and thirty year old products that look like they had been dragged behind a tractor. (slight exaggeration) grossly inflated. The above quote explains this all perfectly to me. As more of us 60-70 year old predominantly male audio enthusiast pop our clogs (hastened lately i might add) then this market will shrink even further. I think manufactures and those selling second hand need to get real. Mike Creek must be shaking his head at the moment having sold the brand on to a European concern. I am enlightened.
    Last edited by Floyddroid; 05-03-2021 at 10:33.

I'm Martin.

I don't know about that. if you are over 50 you grew up in a different world to today. No computers, no internet, no digital. That landscape defined what an audio enthusiast was. The ultimate aspiration was an RTR deck, top of the range turntable, high-end pre-power, big speakers, and a record and tape collection that would fill a warehouse.

It was an aspiration only achievable by those with a large disposable income.

Now it is a laptop/streamer, DAC, and headphones - or small powered speakers with DSP integrated subwoofers. The warehouse full of records and tapes has been eclipsed by the millions of albums available at the click of a mouse. You no longer need to spend a fortune to achieve the dream. I think that's a good thing.

On the flip-side a lot of the 'romance' and mystery of audio that we all grew up with has gone. That's not a good thing. But we have to accept we are old now, the world has moved on, the tide went out and left us high and dry on the sandbanks.

It's not our world anymore, it's the world of people in their 20s and 30s. The don't know who David Price and Mike Creek are and they have no interest in £5K integrated amplifiers.

Audio enthusiasm is as big as ever, just not in any form that we recognise or relate to.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    I don't know about that. if you are over 50 you grew up in a different world to today. No computers, no internet, no digital. That landscape defined what an audio enthusiast was. The ultimate aspiration was an RTR deck, top of the range turntable, high-end pre-power, big speakers, and a record and tape collection that would fill a warehouse.

Now it is a laptop/streamer, DAC, and headphones - or small powered speakers with DSP integrated subwoofers. The warehouse full of records and tapes has been eclipsed by the millions of albums available at the click of a mouse. You no longer need to spend a fortune to achieve the dream. I think that's a good thing.

On the flip-side a lot of the 'romance' and mystery of audio that we all grew up with has gone. That's not a good thing. But we have to accept we are old now, the world has moved on, the tide went out and left us high and dry on the sandbanks.

It's not our world anymore, it's the world of people in their 20s and 30s. The don't know who David Price and Mike Creek are and they have no interest in £5K integrated amplifiers.

Audio enthusiasm is as big as ever, just not in any form that we recognise or relate to.
    Spot on Martin. All I would add is that for me if I hadn't got into DIY audio around 30 years ago I would have never had so much fun and tried so much stuff that I would have simply not bought given commercial price tags.
    Buy Bose...And get your parking validated!.

https://youtu.be/ZCBe7-6rw4M

No Highs...No Lows....It Must Be Bose!

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post

Fair point.

I'm Shaun.

It was so nice to grow up in a World where we weren't coerced into a digital is the best mentality.

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Haselsh1 View Post
    It was so nice to grow up in a World where we weren't coerced into a digital is the best mentality.
    I very much agree with you Shaun. I think as a 62 year old that i really have been lucky to grow up with music in the way that i have. Until the past few years i had never considered music as a commodity, i have always considered which music i prefer to listen to not consume. My hi-fi has come and gone for many years though my music has only ever grown. As Macca so aptly put it i am of a certain age so there is no right or wrong here, we are just coming to the end of an era associated with our age and mentality. Important therefore to celebrate whet we have.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12