+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Denon dl103 or dl103r

I'm Mike.

Why do audiophiles have to pay through the nose for everything? £46 for a tiny piece of wood! (body for 103 cart). I've always questioned the ridiculous price of carts in general, gets on my nerves.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Improved-...YAAOSwfY9XP5TR
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

I'm Dee.

I’ve had the dl103 for just over a week now but today is the first opportunity I’ve really had to listen to it properly.
    Straight out of the box the first impression is of greater detail ...with every record played.Separation and soundstage are also enhanced.But alarmingly the bass and treble are no better yet ...and I’m having to turn the volume knob position much higher to achieve the same level of sound as before.
    I’m using an Arkless 640p with 100ohm loading into a Yamaha CR2020. Does the fact that the Yammy has its own moving coil phono stage impact in any way..I wouldn’t have thought so because the phono stage is connected through a line out (AUX)
    No Mpingo yet and the cartridge bolts only arrived yesterday...perhaps patience is called for here ..only
    managed 7 hours of listening time so far.

I'm Dee.

Covid and life in general has taken its toll and time to enjoy and evaluate my new setup has been slower and more measured than I would normally have taken.But looking back that’s not a bad thing.
    To recap...Denon dl103 ,mounted in a Jelco hs-30 headshell (16gms) with a Mpingo spacer...on an SME 3009 S2 Improved.
    Standard counterweight replaced with a new brass counterweight..189gms (courtesy of Magna Audio of this parish.)
    This combination is not ideal... I accept that from the off..but I have taken steps to address the shortcomings as best as I can without breaking the bank.
    The result... worth every penny and all the effort. SOUNDSTAGE...more defined and spatial.BASS...present without having to dial it in with the tone dial....not sub woofer bass..but not boomy either.Just bass as it was there on the recording.
    Inky blackness in the background...NO...but no hiss ,clicks or bumps either.
    Journeys end..? Actually no...I’m thinking what if I upgraded my phono amp....lets not forget the Houdini

I'm Martin.

One thing which many criticise so is the body of the 103/103R so after some investigation I bought this

https://www.denonaluminumbody.com/

and spent a couple of hours fitting it and re-setting my AN Arm 1 V2 on my Valdi
    The results are pretty good with more detail and dynamics than before and its a damn sight easier than taking a scalpel to rehouse the 103R into an exotic wooden body.

Whats more it will transfer to the next 103
    Lumley Heliosphere Audiomods 5
    Voyd Valdi AN Arm 1 V2 and Denon MC
    Audiomeca Talisman Highly Modded
    Audiomeca Kreatura &,SW1X DAC1
    Hovland HP200 MC
    Hovland Radia
    Ming Da 805 monos
    Magnum Dynalab Etude, RWA Cassabria + LCD 3
    Wilson Benesch Actors
    Cables by Cardas, Hovland G3 and Yter

I'm openingabottleofwine.

I use one of those Denon 103 'body caps' with my sample and can confirm that it does provide subtle improvements in performance.
    Barry

I'm Ian.

Thumbs up Denon dl103 or 103r

I also fitted one of those alloy body kits to my Denon 103r,took a wee while to make it's way from Canada and it's certainly a snug fit in my case. But certainly helps with installing and the longer bolts supplied are a help. Recomended.

I'm Peter.

Quote Originally Posted by ovlov854 View Post
    One thing which many criticise so is the body of the 103/103R so after some investigation I bought this

https://www.denonaluminumbody.com/

and spent a couple of hours fitting it and re-setting my AN Arm 1 V2 on my Valdi
    The results are pretty good with more detail and dynamics than before and its a damn sight easier than taking a scalpel to rehouse the 103R into an exotic wooden body.

Whats more it will transfer to the next 103

I'm also a fan of this aluminium slip-case, in my case for a 103R. I use it on an SME 3012R, together with a 12 gram magnesium Jelco headshell, resulting in a surprisingly good combo imo.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234