+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tannoy crossover model 1017 - Have you experienced them?

I'm Philip.

Default Tannoy crossover model 1017 - Have you experienced them?

Hi,

I was lucky enough to pick up some Amesbury cabinets over the summer that turned out to have monitor gold 15's in them. They've obviously been put together by someone at some point because the original crossovers have gone and been replaced with some HDP style ones numbered 1017. Looking at the Hilberink spreadsheet I can see a mention of 1017's being paired with LFU/HF15's in Lancaster cabs, but I can't find any other mention of them online. I've posted a similar question on Pinkfish. Cooky hasn't seen them before so I thought I would have an ask here as well.

I've only been able to test the speakers in a small room so far, and they sounded pretty dam good to me. I'm certainly pleased to have found them. But if someone knows about these crossovers I would welcome your opinion on how good a match they are. I'm still pretty fresh in to HiFi.

Some pictures below... They just look a bit odd. I haven't seen the l/s terminals being placed under the switches like these (apart from on the caramel coloured switches). And I haven't seen capacitors like these before on Tannoy crossovers. Maybe someone tried upgrading them?

I had it in my head that Coatbridge was still contactable and perhaps some use in tracing things like this, but the phone and email as advertised does not work.
    Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers...

I'm Geoff.

The terminals are an addition, the HPD treble control plate did not feature them. However, being set into the corners, I'd guess they are well enough supported. The HPD crossover is compatible with the Monitor Gold drivers. I'd just fit new capacitors and use contact cleaner on the treble controls. Keep the cleaner off plastic parts, as it may dissolve them.

If you should be tempted to try aftermarket crossovers, keep the old ones. You may want to go back to using them, or a prospective future owner may insist on them.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Martin.

Seems you can only contact them on-line now. The days of just calling them up and having a lengthy, rambling chat with the senior engineer are long gone.

If Cooky doesn't know I'd be amazed if anyone left at Tannoy does.

You could always try Paul at RFC.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Philip.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    The terminals are an addition, the HPD treble control plate did not feature them. However, being set into the corners, I'd guess they are well enough supported. The HPD crossover is compatible with the Monitor Gold drivers. I'd just fit new capacitors and use contact cleaner on the treble controls. Keep the cleaner off plastic parts, as it may dissolve them.

If you should be tempted to try aftermarket crossovers, keep the old ones. You may want to go back to using them, or a prospective future owner may insist on them.

I did wonder if they had been drilled in, but considering the absolute bodge job someone has done of taking the original switch panels out and putting the new ones in, the l/s posts look very well lined up and set in. The veneer tape that you see in the photo surrounding the switches was covering up sanded filler and damaged veneer. I can only imagine that someone damaged it removing the original panel. One of the panels has scratches across the top half where they must have sanded the filler with panel in place! I've no contact with the previous owner/s so it's all a mystery.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    If Cooky doesn't know I'd be amazed if anyone left at Tannoy does.

You could always try Paul at RFC.
    Agreed
    Last edited by HarryCrumb; 01-09-2020 at 19:41.

I'm frank.

A bit of detective work following on from the PFM comments regarding the later introduction of that format tone panel and those encased caps featuring in the LGMs , the crossover is a variant of the 1007 from the Arden Mk2 for the K series drivers and was supplied with the DU 385 kits. The equivalent one for the DU316 kit was the 1012.
    The terminals is a DIY job

Frank

I'm Philip.

Thanks Frank,

I don’t know where you find it all... well, a lifetime of experience maybe.

...if anyone has any spare monitor gold crossovers they want to sell onwards...

+ Reply to Thread