+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mid-life crisis?

I'm Toby.

Thanks Geoff.

Yes, the Pioneer as transport and a different DAC feels like a strong possibility. Even using it with the old integrated amp as a pre and the new power amp it's lost a bit of its splashiness, which was what I thought gave it away previously but now realise must have been its combination with the Creek's limitations.

I get the sense DACs have really improved since the mid-90s. Which leads me to ask you what the thinking is behind recommending a DAC from that time. Have they not really improved? Is that just the electronics industry trying to sell more new kit? Or do you feel I'll get a better match or more value for money with a DAC from the same period?

I'll go and find or ask for specific DAC recommendations in the appropriate forum once I get to that step on the path.

Nice to virtually meet you, anyway.

I'm Dave.

Hi Toby, welcome to AOS. Enjoy the forum. Great intro, enjoyed reading it.
    Kraken, Saturn, Emotion, Flying V Rocket, Planets.

I'm Toby.

Kind of you to say so, Dave. Thanks.

I'm Josie.

Hey Toby.

Welcome to AOS.

Enjoy!
    Jo
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com
    - Audio Equipment Reviews
    Facebook

I'm Toby.

Thanks Jo. Good to have found you all.

I'm Lloyd.

Hello Toby.

Welcome to AOS......Good intro .... I'd suggest keeping the CD player as your clearly very happy with it.... a DAC could be a good idea and would possibly add to your enjoyment, I got my BenchMark DAC1 HDR for that very reason running music off my Macbook air...and it is as a bonus a very good headphone amp and pre-amp...I'm not particularly suggesting you get a BM, rather simply saying how i ended up with one so as others have said ...join in the fun and chat with the members, they're a friendly bunch.

Lloyd

I'm Toby.

Hello Lloyd.

Yes, separate DACs and streaming are the new lands for someone who hasn't updated their system for 25 years.
    Our son will be the streaming generation, so best to give him some consideration and have a means by which he can play whatever he wants on some decent equipment. But I'm a long way behind the starting line, so will be asking all the basic questions.
    Primary school digital education required, is what I'm saying.

Lots to learn. But having already had a warm welcome I've a feeling I'm probably in the right place.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12