+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Phono Stage Upgrade for Dynavector 17DX

I'm Luke.

Default Phono Stage Upgrade for Dynavector 17DX

Morning,

I’ve currently got a Moon LP110v2 phono stage which is hooked up to my deck (Townshend Rock with an Audiomods Series Six Tonearm with Dynavector 17DX cart - then Townshend Allegri + passive pre into EAR Yoshino 890 power amp).

The Moon has been (is) a great stage but with this cartridge being low output at 0.3mV I’m after a phono stage with greater loading options (especially gain) and general upgrade.

I’ve been looking to upgrade for a while as well so just after some recommmendations. Probably used and about / up to £1k £1.5k max but willing to wait / save up for something a bit more ‘special’.

I've heard good things about Trilogy 907 from someone whos opinion I trust entirley but I suspect used this may be slightly out of budget. EAR 894P but I don't think has loading options.

Also, the ability to home demo would be a must if anyone has any recommendations of who to approach as well.

Cheers
    Last edited by CrillboBaggins; 01-09-2020 at 09:47.

I'm John.

There is a Rega Aria for sale on the Wam if that's of interest?

Sent from my I3312 using Tapatalk
    Money may not make me happy.
    But it helps me afford the kind of misery I prefer.

SYSTEM 1:

Analogue.
    Brinkmann Bardo / 12" OL Enterprise Mk4 / Koetsu Rosewood Signature Platinum /BigBottle mk3 /MFA Baby Reference Pre/Nord One UP SE NC500M/Martin Logan Summit

Digital.
    Docet Lector CDP-7TL mkiii/Pimped Bluesound Node2 + BOTW SBooster Lps/ Pimped Mk1 Jolida Fx Glass DAC.

Wires etc.
    Audioplan Musicable ICs & TQ Black ll SC, assorted branded kettle leads.
    Target TT shelf & Alphason 5 shelf rack.
    Power Inspired AG1500S mains regen.

SYSTEM 2: Back to the 80s.

Garrard 401, RB250, A&R P77Mg / Mk1 Marantz CD63 SE / Sony TC-FX150 / Sansui T500L / Cambridge Audio C50 + 2x A50 as bridged monos (mid 80s Stan Curtis's design) / or KEF 104ab/ Original 80s Monster Cable IC, DNM SC / Target 5 shelf rack.

SPARE KIT:
    A&R E77Mg
    Ortofon 2M Silver + Blue stylus
    Philips CD600
    Arcam Alpha 8P
    Pro-Ject DacBox S FL
    CCA
    FiiO Taishan
    Heybrook HB1 S2
    Q Acoustics 3050

I'm Luke.

Quote Originally Posted by Lurch View Post
    There is a Rega Aria for sale on the Wam if that's of interest?

Sent from my I3312 using Tapatalk
    Thanks John

As a recent convert to Tron you could consider the Tron Convergence MC. If you speak with Graham he should be able to configure one to match your 17DX.

Otherwise the newer Tom Evans Microgrooves have loading options.
    Paul.

I'm Charlie.

Another vote for the TRON Convergence. Exquisitely built and great sound quality.
    R2R: Studer A820 1/2 inch 2 track; Otari MTR-12 1/4 inch 2 track; Sony APR 5003; Sony APR 5002; Studer A807/II. Vinyl: Platine Verdier Allaerts MC1B/Schroeder Reference & Model 2 Decca C4E/Hadcock 228 TRON Seven Reference phono. Keith Monks MkII RCM Other analogue source: Nakamichi Dragon with ANT4066 mods. Amplification: TRON Meteor preamp TRON Voyager 20B SET power. Speakers: Avantgarde Duo. Digital: computing at last with Prism Sound Lyra 2 A2D converter

I'm Paul.

Consider a Graham Slee phono. I have one (MM) for a 10x5, works great - but the main thing is - you can arrange to borrow
    any of his kit for home demo for just the cost of postage.
    khozmo passive pre/nytech ca252/cxa252 amps, arc 101 speakers
    vinyl: --- lp12/kore/lingo4/ekos2/dv 10x5/gs accession
    digital: --- caiman SEG/allo digione, synology nas, rotel 965 cd

I'm Luke.

Quote Originally Posted by flapland View Post
    As a recent convert to Tron you could consider the Tron Convergence MC. If you speak with Graham he should be able to configure one to match your 17DX.

Yep, heard good things about these but wasn't sure where to purchase etc. Do you know if you can home demo a unit ?

I'm Luke.

Quote Originally Posted by flapland View Post

Paul,

spoke with Graham, really nice guy, although he doesn't do a home demo service as all units are made to order, this could be a possibility.

I've got a TE Microgrovve demo unit due this weekend.

Out of interest did you get a chance to compare the Convergence to the Microgroove ? Since I'll only be able to home demo one of them it's a difficult decision to make if the Microgroove blows me away, especially with the Convergence being £300 / £600 more.

ta

Luke

ta

Luke

I'm Stephen.

I also have a TE Microgroove and it is simply stunning..Tom configured mine for my Paradoxpulse DL103R but it has dip switches to change the loading for a wide variety of cartridges (112, 140, 187, 280 & 560 ohms). I'm currently listening to it into a TE full monty upgraded Pioneer A- 300R - big silly grin

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
    Always a little further

Luke, I have a Tron Seven which is similar spec but in a full size case. It's not longer sold but is available second hand occasionally.

I had a Microgroove but it was an early one and also a MM only one which I used with a Cinemag SUT.

The Microgroove was very good but the Tron is at another level especially in terms of bass and clarity.
    Paul.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast