+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Viewing NAS files in Windows XP laptop

I'm Lawrence.

Default Viewing NAS files in Windows XP laptop

I've been editng the unknown albums on one of my Zens using my W7/W10 laptops, it's simple you just open windows explorer, find the Zen in the network and navigate into its file structure until you find the album you want, then use MP3 tag. (I think the Zen is working like a NAS drive in this context.)

Now in Durham I've got another Zen but the laptop here is Win XP. I've opened explorer and the Zen doesn't show up in my network places. I set up a local Windows network in case that helped but it didn't. (Worth noting here the Zen is a Linux Vortexbox device.)

Does anyone know how I can treat the Zen as an open NAS in XP and edit the albums? Thanks in advance.

Sent from my HRY-LX1 using Tapatalk

I'm Martin.

Map a network drive manually in explorer I'd imagine.

I'm Lawrence.

Thanks tried that but the only options showing up are the laptop and the router.

I've got an IP address for the Zen but when putting that into file explorer it just opens the Zen's web interface in IE.

Bit stumped here. Windows says to go into other XP computers and make them visible to the network but of course this isn't a Windows machine I'm adding. Maybe XP doesn't have the flexible network functionality like later versions.

I'm Lawrence.

Worked it out through trial and error. Took the http:// IP address / and changed it to \\ IP address \ in file explorer, simples

I'm Martin.

yep exactly just saw this again so yes that's what's needed...

I'm Lawrence.

Strangely (or maybe not) after I viewed them in win explorer the NAS appeared in a new network workgroup that wasn't there before. The foibles of Windows..

+ Reply to Thread