+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mission 774 on a Techy

I'm Stephen.

Default Mission 774 on a Techy

Just putting the finishing touches to installing a Mission 774 on my SL-1210.
    Not the most straightforward of mods I've done . I chose an acrylic SME armboard from The Vinyl Source rather than a metal or ebony one and I'm glad I did. The armboard required a fair bit of judicious trimming to enable the Mission base plate to be mounted correctly. The arm pillar sits quite low down in the armboard which results in the bias arm riding a little high while resting on the deck top plate. I'm expecting this to reduce the bias force a little on the outer tracks but it kicks in as the arm traverses a little distance so I doubt it will be a problem in use.
    I used an arm rest/clip off a Pioneer PL12D which fits a treat.
    The arm balances nicely and alignment was pretty straightforward using a Goldring 2500.
    I've not got around to connecting it up yet but I think it looks pretty neat.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
    Always a little further

I'm Geoff.

Very neat!
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Stephen.

Thanks Geoff

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
    Always a little further

I'm Jacques.

Hi,
    Well done that.
    That Mission tonearm is not common to see this side of the Channel.
    It looks a bit Heath-Robinson to me !
    I also modified my 1200 but I used the ubiquitous RB300, nothing to be proud of
    If it's broke fix it.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by chartz View Post
    That Mission tonearm is not common to see this side of the Channel.
    It looks a bit Heath-Robinson to me !
    Maybe, but that's part of its charm in my book. You'd have a shock if you compared it to the Rega. I know, as I've used both on a Techie. The sound really opens up with the 774.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Jacques.

Now, has anybody one for sale then?
    Will it take a DL103 as happily as a Mayware?
    If it's broke fix it.

I'm Geoff.

The 774 will work with virtually any cartridge, high compliance or low compliance. Just vary the fluid damping accordingly. Very high compliance carts are unlikely to really need damping, but I did use it with ADC's. I have used a DL-103 (and DL-301) successfully in one.

I'm Stephen.

I have now had a chance to listen to the Mission 774 in my main setup and it is sounding superb. It is night and day better than the Jelco TK850s/Jelco HS-30 I was using in this TT before with the same Goldring 2500. Soundstage is wider but instruments are better focussed with more "space" around. Percussion/bass is more tuneful and deeper. Cymbals/Sitar are "zingier" with more energy. All together far more musical.
    I am waiting for J7 to send me back a rewired 774 wand and then I'll try the Decca Supergold in this TT. It's already sounding very good in the 774 I've just installed on a TD150.
    Always a little further

I'm Geoff.

I suspect it will be a proper battle between the TD150 and the Techie. Both decks are very capable, but I'd not be surprised if the TD150 takes the honours .

The Thorens is still not appreciated properly. Glad I got myself a good one before everybody catches on and prices rocket. (got a couple of spare armboards too, including an SME fit one)

I'm Jacques.

The Thorens is the template. The others copied it.
    But a belt drive will never be speed-stable enough. The DD wins.
    The Technics is the template here.
    I don’t care much for anything else than stage depth: you know, the 3D experience.
    Width is unimportant to me. Dynamics don’t matter much either.
    Does it do 3D?
    If it's broke fix it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast